Advice for those skaters moving to Canada | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Advice for those skaters moving to Canada

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
By the way, what's not to like about dill? Maybe Zhenya will be discover a new favourite in that Canadian speciality: dill pickle potato chips.

lol Russia has pretty much dill pickled everything, so I'm not sure that's a Canadian specialty after all. But Ketchup chips are :dev2:

As someone who moved from Russia to Canada I can say that Canada has a substitute for everything. Only 2 things are nowhere (at least yet) found in Canada: Russian tvorog and all sorts of pastries/baked good. I bet she doesn't eat pastries anyways and quark or cottage cheese can qualify as tvorog to some degree. The rest is all the same.

I'm sure her mom will make sure Zhenya's diet is healthy and nutritious. If you eat healthy, then you have no trouble finding food. It's all the same everywhere in the world. If anything, she will be pleasantly surprise at how affordable blueberries and blackberries are.

Edit: oh, that's a different buckwheat btw. Buckwheat sold in Russia is pre-roasted or toasted that's why it tastes differently compared to buckwheat in NA. But you can easily buy Russian buckwheat in any European / Ukrainian grocery store.

tothepointe

On the Ice
she won't have issues finding dill... i love it too and i put it everywhere...

the buckwheat for the pancakes I referred too is different from Russian buckwheat completely : it's buckwheat flour... not grains.

I'm sure she can grow a patch outside the rink no problem.

Tvorog sounds like something I would be very much into.

TGee

Record Breaker
lol Russia has pretty much dill pickled everything, so I'm not sure that's a Canadian specialty after all. But Ketchup chips are :dev2:

As someone who moved from Russia to Canada I can say that Canada has a substitute for everything. Only 2 things are nowhere (at least yet) found in Canada: Russian tvorog and all sorts of pastries/baked good. I bet she doesn't eat pastries anyways and quark or cottage cheese can qualify as tvorog to some degree. The rest is all the same.

I'm sure her mom will make sure Zhenya's diet is healthy and nutritious. If you eat healthy, then you have no trouble finding food. It's all the same everywhere in the world. If anything, she will be pleasantly surprise at how affordable blueberries and blackberries are.

Edit: oh, that's a different buckwheat btw. Buckwheat sold in Russia is pre-roasted or toasted that's why it tastes differently compared to buckwheat in NA. But you can easily buy Russian buckwheat in any European / Ukrainian grocery store.
Yup. It has to be toasted to make decent kasha.

You can buy the pretoasted type in the kosher section in North America.

But my babushka and teotii would definitely give me the "look" if I used that rather than did it myself.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, I now need to take this out of the "Bagged Milk" thread. :biggrin: Jason was already warned against bagged milk when he announced he was going to TCC:

"jason please don’t let the canadians put you on that bagged milk nonsense" :laugh:

https://twitter.com/hanyuzus/status/1001995026497523712

Hopefully someone does the same for Zhenya ;)

Bagged milk? We Canadians can go one better. We now have milk "on Tap" you can bring your nice clean milk bottle and get fresh milk. Just like milking old bossy herself!

https://globalnews.ca/news/3944336/vancouver-island-diary-first-canada-milk-on-tap/

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I don't understand the concern with dill or buckwheat. Here in GTA there is a lot of fresh dill and in autumn you also find the other type of dill (flower), that are used for pickles. The dill flowers may not be found in every store but I buy it from Highland farms every fall. Plus, there are plenty of Polish, Russian, Eastern European stores, or Italian, Greek and others.
I think Greater Toronto area is the best place for Europeans, and not only.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I figured out why we all keep talking about food:

Remember when you were little and a honoured guest was coming to visit (like revered Great Uncle Frank who was a war hero and married a film star) and your mom spent days making sure everything in the house was perfect (so new pillows were bought) and that Great Uncle Frank would not starve so we had to have Spam and Vegemite in the house? I think Evgenia is our (Canadians mostly) collective Great Uncle Frank.

moriel

Record Breaker
I thought it was just because everyone was hungry, but decided to check GS instead of eating something.

Food is an interesting topic, and we learn a lot of stuff here.
I mean, I never even imagined that bagged milk & Canada thing for example

Ducky

On the Ice

Remember when you were little and a honoured guest was coming to visit (like revered Great Uncle Frank who was a war hero and married a film star) and your mom spent days making sure everything in the house was perfect (so new pillows were bought) and that Great Uncle Frank would not starve so we had to have Spam and Vegemite in the house? I think Evgenia is our (Canadians mostly) collective Great Uncle Frank.

Oh, I thought that VIPs in Canada got a year's supply of Timbits and complementary trash panda.

TGee

Record Breaker

Ah, hospitality.

Another thing just about every Canadian can get behind. [emoji56]

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
In addition to the bagged milk, we love our Canada geese. It instills a bit of nationalistic pride when you hear that geese trying to cross the highway are causing traffic backup and emergency crews are at the scene to assist them. We love our wildlife :biggrin:.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Guys, 7 pages of bagged milk discussion :drama:

Okay, what the heck, I add my 2 cent! Nearly 20 years on I still miss Estonian food with rye bread & cottage cheese topping the list. It is said that immigrants change their religion, language, culture but not tastes in food, and I have to agree... Prayers sent daily to whoever runs Polish shops here - at least some decent butter and yes, kefir!
Good luck to Evgenia! And to her Mum who is sure will be in charge of food...

IceCrystalChris

On the Ice
After reading through this thread I think I’m probably not the only one who has now become an expert on dill, buckwheat pancakes and bagged milk. [emoji23]

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Guys, 7 pages of bagged milk discussion :drama:

Unfortunately, another 2 pages of vital information about dill and bagged milk was lost due to the server migration. Though there also was some offtopic about Medvedeva...

Tulipstar

Medalist
In addition to the bagged milk, we love our Canada geese. It instills a bit of nationalistic pride when you hear that geese trying to cross the highway are causing traffic backup and emergency crews are at the scene to assist them. We love our wildlife :biggrin:.

That's very nice.:)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A huge proportion of Canada geese live permanently in the US, leaving acres of goose poop for us to slip on. Wawa!