Alena Kostornaia | Page 270 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think top skaters rarely go there and so far Aliona has only confirmed another Cup stage and Nationals.

Yeah but if they cancel Euros or Worlds, it might be worth it. And even if that doesn’t happen - if she gets the 3A back, she might need a few competitions to stabilize it. I’m not sure what will happen but I thought it’d be a possibility at least.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Yes, didn't she say in an interview that that was what was happening? That she was conserving energy.

I'm not too worried in general. The programs still aren't up to her usual standards because she's still worried about the technical elements. She also said in her interview that she tried to show more of the performances side this time and I think it paid off because I could feel more of the Alena magic coming through. The problem was that by that time in the steps sequence, she was already getting tired so it was sloppy.

As for the jumps, I think Ito be solved once she's fixed her stamina problem. She's just not confident in them right now but once she knows she can get through the whole program without "dying" she'll be back to normal.

The only thing I'm worried about is that she doesn't have much time to do all this work. And if she's not longer solid top 3 or 4 then it gives RusFed an excuse to drop her.
I agree she needs stamina for doing all the program and I think she stills thinking about the steps .. even at the final of the program her reaction is more ... I know it's not perfect but it's all I can do at this time ... and she needs to be sure for doing the 3A

But I disagree .. she is a still solid top 3 or 4 ... except maybe Anna .. I think the rest is a open field .. sasha needs at least 2-3 quads jumps without them she will loose to alena and the rest. Liza has two good programs but has been years ...in the 3 stage she was 3.The juniors don't have 3A or a 4. And Kamila .. well I know most people will disagree ... she isn't so stable like Anna or other skaters Eteri skaters .. and her body type isn't like anna or sasha in more like alena, liza, etc .. so even if i believe she is a great skater I think isn't that clear that she will be the only and one champion ... Medvedeva is at this point an unknown card ..

sparklestan

On the Ice
I just watched Aliona’s exhibition and I think I saw some glimpses of Aliona magic in some sections! The black dress was lovely and I would love her to make it her long program dress.
Regarding the competition, I think Aliona has improved so much since Stage 4 less than a week ago. Hopefully now she will have at least a week of uninterrupted training before Stage 5 and her fitness and confidence will increase even more.
As others mentioned, I think it would be smart for her to do the cup final. It’s a month after nationals and a perfect opportunity for her to show her 3A and prove to the federation she’s still a top contender for the Olympic gold.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Sometimes I‘m asking myself why I‘m still following skating but then I watch Aliona fly across the ice and I remember. That gala was brilliant (only the jacket part was a little awkward still) - sparks of her old magic. She still has it, and she has it in spades. She just needs more time.

Love the program, the dress, everything. Thank you, Aliona.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States

McBibus

On the Ice
yesterday I was destroyed by the result: I strongly hoped for her win
But I was also happy because I saw fragments of the true Aliona, even more than in the SP (despite the SP being better scoring wise)
Problem is both her and the program look unfinished.
I can understand she tryes to manage energy to finish, but why is that?
She lost some time for sure, and that may explain some lack of performance and quality, but aerobic should be there already and if it's not something is wrong

pete

On the Ice
her gala dress is stunning :love: I also really love that hairstyle on her :) however it's probably a bit unfuctional for competitions

Fluture

Record Breaker
her gala dress is stunning :love:
I know, right? It's probably my favorite dress of hers at this point. :love:

I really wish she had a darker dress for the FS, too, she looks so good in them! Maybe a dark shade of green would have been lovely. The pink is just... I don't know, it kind of washes her out? She can absolutely rock soft colours but this one doesn't fit her skin tone, imo.

Vemvane

On the Ice

silveruskate

On the Ice
This week's performances were already much better in all ways. Yes the rotation is slower, and I would be nervous about how Aliona's physical changes are affecting it IF she was at max fitness levels. But when she's having stamina issues midway through the program, that is clearly another factor.

I didn't want this for her, but getting to track Aliona's improvement 3 more times every 2 weeks since stage 4 is so interesting.

Also that 3F-3T in the FS would have gotten 2 plus points on GOE last year.

macy

Record Breaker
she is still working to regain fitness and stamina, it takes a while. she has improved noticeably in the last couple weeks since we last saw her. the rotation, spins, magic, all of it will be there when she is fully trained. she is URing because of this as well, although IMO i don't think she deserved them on her flip sal sequence. after watching a couple videos in super slow mo the flip was close and i would have given it a q, but the sal was backwards.