Alexander Petrov | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Alexander Petrov

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
Thanks for the explanation and news update, adelia! The cake is lovely. And count me in as a "Sasha for seniors" group member. It would be wonderful if Sasha gets 2 GP assignments. Let's hope for the best.

IMO if his health condition allows him to compete in seniors, it's better to do so than staying junior (regardless of how his quads are going), especially when qualifying for Olympics 2018 is likely to be the ultimate goal of the current Olympic cycle for him. Those young men who show instant success in the first senior season are always exceptions since it takes too many prerequisites (and some of them don't even depend on the skater or his team) to win all the judges' high evaluation so quickly. Two years in seniors would probably mean only one year left to actually build his PCS and reputation for the battle over Olympic tickets, which directly puts him in disadvantage against quite a few rivals much more established and experienced. So the low probability of his "making a splash" with senior debut is exactly the reason why he'd better move up a bit earlier, rather than counting on that senior "splash" in 2016-17 with improvement over one junior season. To be honest, his actual skating could improve faster with more senior experience, so even if his senior debut risks being considered "so-so"/"failed" results-wise by some people in FS community, it's still worth the risk and there's nothing to regret. (Frankly I think he'll adapt to senior programs a little bit better than Adyan since he's more of a well-rounded skater than 2013-14 Adyan. )
Besides, there's no guarantee that he'd have more brilliant results in juniors as things aren't that predictable. Junior gold is still JUNIOR gold, and even if your chances seem great pre-season, in the end you may get nothing superior to previous junior placements, which is worse than so-called senior "failure" IMO.

adelia

Record Breaker
Thanks for the explanation and news update, adelia! The cake is lovely. And count me in as a "Sasha for seniors" group member. It would be wonderful if Sasha gets 2 GP assignments. Let's hope for the best.

IMO if his health condition allows him to compete in seniors, it's better to do so than staying junior (regardless of how his quads are going), especially when qualifying for Olympics 2018 is likely to be the ultimate goal of the current Olympic cycle for him. Those young men who show instant success in the first senior season are always exceptions since it takes too many prerequisites (and some of them don't even depend on the skater or his team) to win all the judges' high evaluation so quickly. Two years in seniors would probably mean only one year left to actually build his PCS and reputation for the battle over Olympic tickets, which directly puts him in disadvantage against quite a few rivals much more established and experienced. So the low probability of his "making a splash" with senior debut is exactly the reason why he'd better move up a bit earlier, rather than counting on that senior "splash" in 2016-17 with improvement over one junior season. To be honest, his actual skating could improve faster with more senior experience, so even if his senior debut risks being considered "so-so"/"failed" results-wise by some people in FS community, it's still worth the risk and there's nothing to regret. (Frankly I think he'll adapt to senior programs a little bit better than Adyan since he's more of a well-rounded skater than 2013-14 Adyan. )
Besides, there's no guarantee that he'd have more brilliant results in juniors as things aren't that predictable. Junior gold is still JUNIOR gold, and even if your chances seem great pre-season, in the end you may get nothing superior to previous junior placements, which is worse than so-called senior "failure" IMO.
MTE.

Bonus picture from Semenenko's IG:
https://pp.vk.me/c628821/v628821700/c66/6VnbjRTHOpU.jpg

Another one from his Bday celebrations that I think I forgot to post:
http://cs624231.vk.me/v624231016/36547/4XKr9qMpUOA.jpg

LRK

Record Breaker

I think that Adian is a more introverted skater - Sasha has already much of the performance quality down; see for instance his Finlandia performances where he really engages the crowd. So, I think he has natural talent in that regard. But to develop that further, he needs a senior level crowd - not like the ten people or so in a junior competition audience. (Yes, I exaggerate, of course, but you know what I mean. I often think that the sheer difference in number of people in the audience must be a great part of the shock of moving from juniors to seniors. But I digress.)

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
I think that Adian is a more introverted skater - Sasha has already much of the performance quality down; see for instance his Finlandia performances where he really engages the crowd. So, I think he has natural talent in that regard. But to develop that further, he needs a senior level crowd - not like the ten people or so in a junior competition audience. (Yes, I exaggerate, of course, but you know what I mean. I often think that the sheer difference in number of people in the audience must be a great part of the shock of moving from juniors to seniors. But I digress.)
Totally agree. I believe he will start to shine in front of a big crowd after a while of adaptation.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^He doesn't have a Jr.Worlds medal. So many of the top Jr. men are moving up next season so he probably has a good chance of getting on the world podium if he decides to stay.
Well, I think we're all resigned to seeing him at Jr. Worlds regardless. Russia just doesn't have enough spots for Sasha to go to senior Worlds (unless Voronov, Kovtun, Menshov, and Pitkeev implode epically next year, and there's no comeback from Plushenko and no improvement from Gachinski).

And I regard his not making "a big splash" immediately rather as a good thing - I'd rather he tested the senior waters more carefully, and, unsurrounded by a lot of hype, which would just pile the pressure onto him to perform spectacularly, and do him no whit of good. If people aren't expecting great things from him, all the better, in my book.
You have a point. I was thinking that more junior success could bring better momentum/rep/marks in seniors. Though there were probably a few skaters who didn't have much junior success and went on to have great senior careers.

Disadvantages, off the top of my head...
-You cannot attempt a quad in the SP in the junior circuit. Towards the end of the season Lakernik also hinted at further restrictions to be introduced. I'm not sure if he will follow through on that.
-If he stays junior, it means a much longer season for him and less time between the end of last season and the start of this one.
-One more season in juniors means one less season in seniors before 2018.
-Also what does "make a big splash in seniors" mean? Unless you're the ISU's "anointed one" (I won't mention names), nothing prepares you to do well in senior GPs like actual experience in senior GPs.
- Does Sasha even had a consistent/competition-ready quad though? :slink: If anything, the rule in juniors helps him. If his quad goes well over the summer, by all means, I support him moving to seniors.
- See above--if he wins JGPF, I think that would only help him in seniors.
- I agree on 2018 and the longer season.

To clarify, I'm not saying I want him to stay junior. I can see merits either way, and I think the decision should be based on his training/health/quad progress.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Colorado Springs is at a high elevation at the edge of the Rocky Mountains...so the snow is not so unusual.

adelia

Record Breaker
Alright, so they're not in Leysin, they're in Champery (according to Liza's interview, in which she said her program is a secret). But I wasn't that far off... well sort of. :)

Anyway, there is absolutely nothing in the media about Sasha even being in Switzerland. This is starting to get a little weird.