Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Wow I really liked that BUT especially the first half didn't seem like a Tango at all:scratch2: more Flamenco. It was like a mixes RD half Tango/Flamenco. I love them though they really look different to other couples and their choreography is always interesting .Their music choices are certainly different never picking war horses.This music is so dramatic and bombastic and will be a nice change to their BLUES FD!
They really took it in their stride after the dance interruption stern at first but then laughing and clapping.I think a great season ahead for them:luv17:

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Wow I really liked that BUT especially the first half didn't seem like a Tango at all:scratch2: more Flamenco. It was like a mixes RD half Tango/Flamenco. I love them though they really look different to other couples and their choreography is always interesting .Their music choices are certainly different never picking war horses.This music is so dramatic and bombastic and will be a nice change to their BLUES FD!
They really took it in their stride after the dance interruption stern at first but then laughing and clapping.I think a great season ahead for them:luv17:
Seeing the initial pose I thought they were going to skate to some tribal dance :)
I liked their RD a lot and it's a pity we couldn't enjoy a non-interrupted performance.
And Alexandra was stunning: the original fabric and the colour of the bodice together with the make-up and hairstyle just won me over.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xosbBGipVE They are unlucky! But I like this program!
Did anyone understand why they were interrupted? What did the girls remove from the ice?
Very beautiful performance, I really like them, I'm looking forward to their FD and how the programs will grow!

And those twizzles really are awesome!!

Wow I really liked that BUT especially the first half didn't seem like a Tango at all:scratch2: more Flamenco. It was like a mixes RD half Tango/Flamenco.

From what I understand, the teams can combine the compulsory rhythm -- this year tango -- with whatever they like. So SB are not the first ones I saw this year who have a core of flamenco with the tango romantica on the side. I find it in fact nice, it makes the whole RD less repetitive and boring.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Did anyone understand why they were interrupted?

From what I understand, the teams can combine the compulsory rhythm -- this year tango -- with whatever they like. So SB are not the first ones I saw this year who have a core of flamenco with the tango romantica on the side. I find it in fact nice, it makes the whole RD less repetitive and boring.

Oh I never knew the dance could be combined that explains it :palmf:
There was confetti dropping down on the ice from a bird making a nest or something!

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Absolutely loved their free dance! Agree with another poster in here that said taking a page out of Hubbell and Donahue’s book really suits them. They really do suit the blues - they have such good chemistry which they are able to really exploit with these bluesy performances. Really liked the innovation in the choreography. Super excited for them this season!

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
Absolutely loved their free dance! Agree with another poster in here that said taking a page out of Hubbell and Donahue’s book really suits them. They really do suit the blues - they have such good chemistry which they are able to really exploit with these bluesy performances. Really liked the innovation in the choreography. Super excited for them this season!
Yes, that was absolutely stunning!! For me, their programs are WAY better than H/D's. I am in fact really not impressed with what H/D bring this year, and I feel that Sasha and Vanya and also WeaPo should really end in front of them. (Of course there is the technical aspect that I'm not able to judge at all...)

Such fire in this routine, I really hope they will end up high because they definitely deserve it with such energy!
This is going to be a great season!

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
For me, their programs are WAY better than H/D's. I am in fact really not impressed with what H/D bring this year, and I feel that Sasha and Vanya and also WeaPo should really end in front of them. (Of course there is the technical aspect that I'm not able to judge at all...)
Sorry for this off-topic, but you started the comparison, so...

I think H/D should not be written of. They clearly have one of the best, if not the best, skating skills after P/C. And this is the beginning of the season. They obviously were not in their best shape at US Classics. I think their RD is okay, it just needs some polishing and to be skated better, especially the steps. As for the FD, I am sure that if the feedback and their results with it won't be good enough they and their coaches and choreographers will either make changes to this FD to make it more interesting or even change it completely. They have done that before (well, they have not completely changed their programs during the season, but they have made serious changes).

As for S/B, I like the RD, and I know that ice dancers can combine tango with any other rhythm, but, admittedly, this is the least tango-like RD that I have seen thus far this season. I hope judges are not going to punish them for it, otherwise they will need to make changes too. The FD is wonderful for them and can bring them quite far this season. Still, let's not forget that it is not all about programs, it is also about the skating, levels etc. . S/B's skating seems improved this season, but there are also other teams with really good or even better skating skills (namely, H/D and W/P). H/D are also able to earn really high levels. So there is that to compete with.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Yes, that was absolutely stunning!! For me, their programs are WAY better than H/D's. I am in fact really not impressed with what H/D bring this year, and I feel that Sasha and Vanya and also WeaPo should really end in front of them. (Of course there is the technical aspect that I'm not able to judge at all...)

Such fire in this routine, I really hope they will end up high because they definitely deserve it with such energy!
This is going to be a great season!

I completely agree - so far I much prefer this program, Weapo’s and Gilles and Poirier as well. They all seem to have that extra something. I like H/D a lot and I enjoyed their FD but not as much as these other programs. H/D do have great skating skills though so that will be in their favour.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
Sorry for this off-topic, but you started the comparison, so...

I think H/D should not be written of. They clearly have one of the best, if not the best, skating skills after P/C. And this is the beginning of the season. They obviously were not in their best shape at US Classics. I think their RD is okay, it just needs some polishing and to be skated better, especially the steps. As for the FD, I am sure that if the feedback and their results with it won't be good enough they and their coaches and choreographers will either make changes to this FD to make it more interesting or even change it completely. They have done that before (well, they have not completely changed their programs during the season, but they have made serious changes).

As for S/B, I like the RD, and I know that ice dancers can combine tango with any other rhythm, but, admittedly, this is the least tango-like RD that I have seen thus far this season. I hope judges are not going to punish them for it, otherwise they will need to make changes too. The FD is wonderful for them and can bring them quite far this season. Still, let's not forget that it is not all about programs, it is also about the skating, levels etc. . S/B's skating seems improved this season, but there are also other teams with really good or even better skating skills (namely, H/D and W/P). H/D are also able to earn really high levels. So there is that to compete with.
Oooohhh... you really started a fire in me here :biggrin:

I fully agree with you that H/D have super skating skills, and that that alone will probably land them many medals this year. I don't at all dispute what you say!

However, IN MY OPINION (let that be clear ;)), the quality of the programs should put them behind at least P/C (even without having seen their programs, it's a given, see my avatar :laugh:), WeaPo and the team of this thread, lovingly called Sasha and Vanya.
For me (and that doesn't mean that it's objective truth), the content and artistry is totally lacking in H/D's programs. I like them very much as people, I find them super enjoyable in the kiss&cry. It's rather horrible to say, but I enjoy them more off the ice than on it. They skate superbly, but I want to be entertained. I want to see something that goes beyond "We're super skaters. Give us the gold already." We've had another incredibly successful couple with that kind of content-anaemic programs, and I'm bored stiff when having to watch that stuff.
So if there are couples that skate a little bit less good, but bring me a story and emotions and make me sit on the edge of my seat, well, then I don't give a damn about slightly better skating skills but want to see that entertainment rewarded.
Whether it happens in reality is something else, but I can always dream and wish!

Obviously, anything can still happen to the programs. But for me, the issue with H/D's programs is fundamental. No change is going to redeem that program for me, as it would mean scrapping the whole thing and going back to the drawing board, including music choice and editing (seriously, is this a Gadbois soundtrack??). It would mean coming up with an idea, with something to tell. With a message. And with all my love for them, I don't see them nor their coaches come up with that. Because even if MF would find something for them to tell, they wouldn't be able to tell it. Because they simply are no story tellers. No artists. Like many couples of the past few decades.

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooove the fact that we are now tying the threads back up to where Marina Klimova and Sergei Panamarenko and the Duchesnay's left off. Jane and Christopher also had great content, but I personally found their last program (if I am correct, I mean 1994) too anecdotal and more comical relief than gripping. It was great entertainment though.

And I love to see that many choreographers and the couples are able to bring something else than great skating skills and acrobatics to the ice.
I am not very knowledgeable about what all happened in the past 20 years (and I don't claim to be very knowledgeable about anything skate-wise). I enjoy many programs of Meryl and Charlie, they also did all they could to tell a story, but it seems rather obvious that the acrobatics and technical skating was way more important in those years.
I am so so so happy that the ISU now seems to acknowledge that the artistic value is at least as important.

I have watched Sasha and Vanya's FD already so many times, and I can't wait for both their programs to grow and develop.
I also love their RD, although I want to see it in one go. I don't mind the flamenco, as I said before, it is a good change in an RD competition that is going to be quite repetitive and boring due to many similar tango soundtracks.

(As an aside: I found S/D's tango spectacular as a routine.)

Conclusion: I am in love with Sasha and Vanya's dramatic performances, I love what they bring to the ice and I want to see more of it. (Luckily there are many couples who are searching to bring good theatre and real emotion!) I really hope they get rewarded for their energy and hard work.

laiyamanika

On the Ice
I never paid attention to them last quad but I'm really impressed with both of their programs this year! Their twizzles are AMAZING! :love: A new fan here! :rock:

I love the flamengco/tango vibe in their RD. It's different from what the other top teams are doing but it's fast, sharp and their chemistry is so palpable which makes a good tango program. They just need to improve their tango pattern but if they reach domnina/shabalin levels of tango romantica, they maybe the team that would go against P/C in the finals.

And I really really love their FD. They are both very expressive and both of them are hot! They have more chemistry here than H/D's FD last year.

My wish this year: head to head with P/C just like in their junior years in 2013-2014

laiyamanika

On the Ice
Congratulations Sasha and Vanya on your first senior GP win! :yahoo:

They are looking strong to win their next GP assignment in Rostelecom

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
laiyamanika - Yes, even if Chock/Bates don't withdraw, they may not be in their best form there - it will be their first event of the season in that case, after all.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In case any of you were curious about the CBC commentary for their GP Helsinki FD, it's here (the password is dance): https://vimeo.com/299556794 Their RD wasn't broadcast on Canadian television.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Gutted they are in 4th at the moment in the GP final [emoji20] Really hope they can make up for it in the free. Their programmes are just so more exciting than most of the others this year!