Alysa Liu changes coaches and moves to Colorado Springs | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu changes coaches and moves to Colorado Springs

bytheriver

On the Ice
People were saying Alysa was done last year when she had the growth spurt. Now she is the top US lady this season. Alysa will land her triple axles and quad lutzs by Olympics, win an Olympic medal and you all can eat your hearts out. She needs to change that hard entry to her triple axle and go back to her old entry because the new entry messes with her timing.
There’s optimism and then there’s delusion. Let the chips fall where they may.

macy

Record Breaker
@skatinggold: A similar and equally despicable suggestion regarding Alysa's weight was made in the US Women's thread. This needs to stop.

First, simply losing weight does not lead to successful jumping. In the long term, skaters rotate and land their jumps when they have enough power to gain the height/air time required to rotate fully. Power means muscle mass and the ability to use it to the fullest. In fact, there are examples of skaters (Tanith Belbin comes to mind) who have spoken of being more successful once they had gained enough weight to build more core strength.

Second, neither you nor I nor anyone on this or any other internet forum has any idea of Alysa's weight, or her ideal weight, or her eating habits. None of us has any business suggesting that she or any other skater should change her weight or her eating habits. I hope these suggestions will never reach Alysa, but they do reach other readers and contribute to a larger culture. They can do real damage to the people – especially young people – who do read them, and pick up the idea that success and acceptance come from losing weight, or that their self-esteem should be founded on low weight. And they do real damage by perpetrating the myth that thin=healthy, that only thin people are healthy, that somehow we have the right to shame people – worse, that it is morally virtuous, or for people's own good, to shame them – for being what we imagine, again with no knowledge whatsoever, to be not thin enough. This does not create a healthy culture, or a culture of health.

Thin is not necessarily healthy. Thinner is not necessarily better. None of us has the right to make ignorant assumptions about strangers' bodies. None of us has the right to give ignorant and potentially damaging advice to strangers. We should all think before we speak (and post).
all. of. this.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
@skatinggold: A similar and equally despicable suggestion regarding Alysa's weight was made in the US Women's thread. This needs to stop.

First, simply losing weight does not lead to successful jumping. In the long term, skaters rotate and land their jumps when they have enough power to gain the height/air time required to rotate fully. Power means muscle mass and the ability to use it to the fullest. In fact, there are examples of skaters (Tanith Belbin comes to mind) who have spoken of being more successful once they had gained enough weight to build more core strength.

Second, neither you nor I nor anyone on this or any other internet forum has any idea of Alysa's weight, or her ideal weight, or her eating habits. None of us has any business suggesting that she or any other skater should change her weight or her eating habits. I hope these suggestions will never reach Alysa, but they do reach other readers and contribute to a larger culture. They can do real damage to the people – especially young people – who do read them, and pick up the idea that success and acceptance come from losing weight, or that their self-esteem should be founded on low weight. And they do real damage by perpetrating the myth that thin=healthy, that only thin people are healthy, that somehow we have the right to shame people – worse, that it is morally virtuous, or for people's own good, to shame them – for being what we imagine, again with no knowledge whatsoever, to be not thin enough. This does not create a healthy culture, or a culture of health.

Thin is not necessarily healthy. Thinner is not necessarily better. None of us has the right to make ignorant assumptions about strangers' bodies. None of us has the right to give ignorant and potentially damaging advice to strangers. We should all think before we speak (and post).
Thank you.

Dawn825

Medalist
Watching Kamila yesterday you realise that whilst they were relatively close in standard in 19/20 the gap really is now insurmountable. I wonder if her Dad just can’t accept that Alyssa simply isn’t going to be able to get back to within touching distance of KV and this is just a desperate roll of the dice.
That is the impression this move gives, which is why I hope Alysa posts or does an interview soon to explain her role in the decision.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Watching Kamila yesterday you realise that whilst they were relatively close in standard in 19/20 the gap really is now insurmountable. I wonder if her Dad just can’t accept that Alyssa simply isn’t going to be able to get back to within touching distance of KV and this is just a desperate roll of the dice.
The gap wasn't that close in juniors when Kamila didn't fall .....But alysa has one thing that any of the russian competition has ... time... there isn't any competition in USA at this point and probably in the next year ... so alysa will be in the usa team for a long period of time .. so she has time to catch up the competition and I think she already pass the grow spur... I still think there is something happen that the father couldn't deal or really didn't like in the training team so he switch ... because there isn't any coach who can transform an athlete in two months to beat the russian team (maybe eteri)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
If their goal is reaching Kamila, well… that’s a pretty delusional goal. I don’t think they realistically even considered that. Maybe I’m wrong, but no coaching change can help Alysa achieve remotely similar results.
Alysa couldn’t even break 210 in GP events, Mariah did that without a single 3-3. I would assume coaching change comes as a result of seeing Alysa isn’t able to make it to podium even when there are no russians in the event. She’s not able to win over Japanese and Young You, who fell twice and didn’t have as good of a performance, as she’s capable of. She lost a FS to Mana Kawabe in Canada, despite getting 5 points more than Mana in PCS (which in itself was questionable). She’ll lose to Mariah who doesn’t even attempt any 3-3s and is not quite being at her best. That’s a way more obvious reason to me.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Those who think Alysa left to be competitive with Kamila are delusional 😳

Alysa finished in 11th place in the Grand Prix circuit. She started off really strong with her challenger events, where she skated a “simplified” technical content and when she increased her technical content in her two Senior events, I think the expectation was it would result in higher scores putting her in the 6-10 range with a chance of making it to the GP finals. To her and her father, it was shocking to see all those carrots in her technical element scorecard. Even I was shocked, despite knowing she has tiny jumps. I didn’t think the judges would be so strict with her elements. But, I’m glad they were as she prerotates her jumps and her triples are tiny compared to her competitors. In NHK, I think they realized that Yes, they are appreciative with the coaching that led to her improved skating skills. However, at this point, technical skills are more important and could have led to a silver or even bronze medal at NHK instead of her fourth place. The need right now is for her to rotate her triples. If she does that, she can realistically attain 210+ scores and with her competitive spirit, can put herself in better standing to put her in the best position for the most important competitions coming up, US Nationals, 4CC, Olympics an Worlds. Wishing her all the best! I trust her ambition and I’m confident her hard work will take her to her desired results.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Wishing her all the best! I trust her ambition and I’m confident her hard work will take her to her desired results.
Definitely. Last year, when she was struggling and was doing singles and doubles, I remember I said at the time, that she’s a hard working determined girl, that she’ll manage to get over this troubled period and come out on the other side. I’m glad I was right. Alysa still can develop and show a lot of improvement, I sincerely believe that with her work ethic and determination a lot is possible. But reaching Kamila would be a very very big challenge, I’m not sure it is fair to ask that from Alysa. Would glad to be wrong on this, but I don’t think this will ever be possible. There’s an inherent deference between them, and reaching Kamila‘s level is a very big ask from any skater, not just Alysa.

katymay

Medalist
The chances of Alysa getting an individual medal at the Olympics are minimal. I do not see her beating any of the Russian ladies, unless she herself skates lights out (landing and fully rotating all her triples PLUS 3A + 4 Lz) AND the Russians fall on multiple jumps. There is just that big of a TES and PCS cushion for all the Russian ladies. As much as Alysa delights, and as much as she may work on - and even land - her ultra c elements, she just does not stand out in this current field (even next to the Japanese ladies or someone like You Young and Loena Hendrickx), and her youth and lack of explosive power (even on her regular triples) will be liabilities that cannot be fixed in just a few months.
Realistically, looking WAY down the road, there is little chance that anyone other than a Russian woman will win any medal in any competition in which the Russians are represented with their A players. The current 13/14's are doing 3As, and multiple quads. The current 12/13's are doing quads and 3A's as well. A team medal is about all we can aspire to in the U.S, in this Olympic quad and the next one. Either the USFSA cares about this state of affairs, or, as I suspect, they really do not, or they just can't afford to do anything to change the future of ladies skating in the U.S. (Canada in a similiar situation) Russians have state support, which of course makes a big difference. Figure skating in the U.S. is dying on the vine. Alysa was lucky enough to have a wealthy parent who could tote her around to every expert in the world to make her a contender. Most U.S. skaters do not have that luxury.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Realistically, looking WAY down the road, there is little chance that anyone other than a Russian woman will win any medal in any competition in which the Russians are represented with their A players. The current 13/14's are doing 3As, and multiple quads. The current 12/13's are doing quads and 3A's as well. A team medal is about all we can aspire to in the U.S, in this Olympic quad and the next one. Either the USFSA cares about this state of affairs, or, as I suspect, they really do not, or they just can't afford to do anything to change the future of ladies skating in the U.S. (Canada in a similiar situation) Russians have state support, which of course makes a big difference. Figure skating in the U.S. is dying on the vine. Alysa was lucky enough to have a wealthy parent who could tote her around to every expert in the world to make her a contender. Most U.S. skaters do not have that luxury.
Sad but true.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
To be fair, this is not limited to the US. It's not like the Japanese skaters are faring much better (only Kaori made the GPF this year, and it was partially because she skated in a less competitive field in NHK - the Japanese ladies attempting the 3As/quads are either injured or far less consistent). Considering we have even less competitive ladies in Canada, Europe and Korea, this will be a global problem. I do wonder if this will give the ISU some incentive to change the rules to restrict the ultra c elements. Few people like to watch a sport where only one country dominates. Although perhaps they would think it's fine since the Men's, Ice Dance and Pairs are still more competitive.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The way I read the situation is that Alysa's dad, who seems very very involved, was setting a goal post on making the GPF. That didn't happen, so instead of noting her really good skates on the GP series, and the fact that she is so far setting herself up really well to win / medal at nationals, that's not enough and the GPF goal was key. Given the competition out there, Alysa has been doing stellar and has great programs that suit her. I hope the move is good for Alysa, but personally wish it was for next season, and to sit tight until after Tokyo.

skatefan17

On the Ice
Alysa has essentially zero chance of ever beating a healthy Valieva. They are simply incomparable skaters now. Kamila puts up bigger scores than many of the men. She has enormous difficulty with high pcs. She jumps big and clean. The days of Alysa being competitive with her are long gone. But I do see merit in trying to improve Alysa’s jumps while still hopefully keeping her love for the sport.

Well said. Thank you.

Her father is not wealthy.

SorrySkater

On the Ice
I’m cautiously optimistic about this change. Alysa strikes me as a very intelligent young lady, and the type of feedback she can get from Christy Krall could be exactly what she needs. Dartfish analysis might provide small tweaks she can make in her technique that would allow Alysa to get her jumps back. I can see her as someone who would greatly appreciate very specific, tangible reasons for holding your arms in a specific way (for example).

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Those who think Alysa left to be competitive with Kamila are delusional 😳

Alysa finished in 11th place in the Grand Prix circuit. She started off really strong with her challenger events, where she skated a “simplified” technical content and when she increased her technical content in her two Senior events, I think the expectation was it would result in higher scores putting her in the 6-10 range with a chance of making it to the GP finals. To her and her father, it was shocking to see all those carrots in her technical element scorecard. Even I was shocked, despite knowing she has tiny jumps. I didn’t think the judges would be so strict with her elements. But, I’m glad they were as she prerotates her jumps and her triples are tiny compared to her competitors. In NHK, I think they realized that Yes, they are appreciative with the coaching that led to her improved skating skills. However, at this point, technical skills are more important and could have led to a silver or even bronze medal at NHK instead of her fourth place. The need right now is for her to rotate her triples. If she does that, she can realistically attain 210+ scores and with her competitive spirit, can put herself in better standing to put her in the best position for the most important competitions coming up, US Nationals, 4CC, Olympics an Worlds. Wishing her all the best! I trust her ambition and I’m confident her hard work will take her to her desired results.
Per USFS, members of the Olympic team will not be going to 4CC this year.