Alysa Liu | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu

Scott512

Record Breaker
Love her personality. How she said that she inspired herself in the interview after she won at Lake Placid 😄

She said what? That she inspired herself. Never heard anyone say that before. ;)

Alysa has oodles of confidence and a very big upside. Her warmth and personality are absolutely amazing and completely natural.

Scott512

Record Breaker
My main concern for Alysa is pressure and expectations. she will be making millions in endorsements by the time she's 16. Maybe even before that. The expectations for her will be off the charts. But when you're the best American ladies prospect since Tara Lipinski you know you will be facing tremendous pressure to succeed and dominate. That won't be easy for Alysa because of the competition from Russia and Japan and who knows where else in a couple years. But at this point there's no reason to believe she can't compete for the top honors in ladies figure skating in a couple years and beyond. I just hope she can handle all of the pressure fame and distractions coming her way.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
My main concern for Alysa is pressure and expectations. she will be making millions in endorsements by the time she's 16. Maybe even before that. The expectations for her will be off the charts. But when you're the best American ladies prospect since Tara Lipinski you know you will be facing tremendous pressure to succeed and dominate. That won't be easy for Alysa because of the competition from Russia and Japan and who knows where else in a couple years. But at this point there's no reason to believe she can't compete for the top honors in ladies figure skating in a couple years and beyond. I just hope she can handle all of the pressure fame and distractions coming her way.

This depends entirely on her parents and coaches. Simone Biles has been quite carefully marketed, and is still of relevance in gymnastics after like 8 years at the top. Also Simone still is a role model for any young girl wanting to become a gymnast, there is nothing stuck up about her. Same goes for Alina Zagitova.

Alysa and her parents can take both these great Olympic champions as their examples and role models.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
This depends entirely on her parents and coaches. Simone Biles has been quite carefully marketed, and is still of relevance in gymnastics after like 8 years at the top. Also Simone still is a role model for any young girl wanting to become a gymnast, there is nothing stuck up about her. Same goes for Alina Zagitova.

Alysa and her parents can take both these great Olympic champions as their examples and role models.

Simone never was a junior phenom though and only turned pro (i.e. made money off of endorsements) in 2015, after three consecutive World titles, aged 18. So her way is very different than Alysa's will be.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Simone never was a junior phenom though and only turned pro (i.e. made money off of endorsements) in 2015, after three consecutive World titles, aged 18. So her way is very different than Alysa's will be.

There are no such things as NCAA scholarships or other benefits to a young teen/adolescent athlete AND student at stake by going pro? Can a minor even go pro in this respect? AFAIK there is no NCAA in figure skating.
Having a clothing, boots or blades sponsorship is OK, but becoming a figure head in some commercial campaign is not worth the loss in training time IMO for any athlete this young.

BTW: is Alysa home schooled or does she attend a regular school at intervals to present her assignments and receive her marks? Having a normal life as much as possible?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
There are no such things as NCAA scholarships or other benefits to a young teen/adolescent athlete AND student at stake by going pro? Can a minor even go pro in this respect? AFAIK there is no NCAA in figure skating.
Having a clothing, boots or blades sponsorship is OK, but becoming a figure head in some commercial campaign is not worth the loss in training time IMO for any athlete this young.

BTW: is Alysa home schooled or does she attend a regular school at intervals to present her assignments and receive her marks? Having a normal life as much as possible?

Alysa is home schooled. She attended a school some time ago, but then switched to home schooling as she missed a lot of school days because of competition. She does an oline program as far as I know.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Alysa does online school through California Connections Academy, she seems to be very intelligent and I think she has skipped a grade. Nathan and Vincent also completed their high school education there.

I recall reading in a previous interview that Alysa’s dad wants her to have normal life/childhood experiences such as hanging out with friends and sleepovers.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice

Sure, a minor can go pro. Nastia Liukin famously was the face of the adidas campaign during the Athens Olympics, even though she was only 14 and not eligible to compete at those Olympics (it produced the best commercial ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngn0oUgPac). Nastia is actually a better comparison than Simone I'd say. Like Alysa now, Nastia was hyped as the next big American star from a very young age on.

I agree with you regarding Alysa. I hope they don't go overboard with her, and not have her endorse anything and everything. But then, she definitly has this very charming star quality and is a wonderful athlete, so hopefully she can make some cash. She deserves it.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Sure, a minor can go pro. Nastia Liukin famously was the face of the adidas campaign during the Athens Olympics, even though she was only 14 and not eligible to compete at those Olympics (it produced the best commercial ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngn0oUgPac). Nastia is actually a better comparison than Simone I'd say. Like Alysa now, Nastia was hyped as the next big American star from a very young age on.

I agree with you regarding Alysa. I hope they don't go overboard with her, and not have her endorse anything and everything. But then, she definitly has this very charming star quality and is a wonderful athlete, so hopefully she can make some cash. She deserves it.

Amazing post and points and thank you for that great commercial too. I have not seen it in so long.

I'm still upset how Nastia did not get her deserved gold medal on bars at the 2008 games. China took gold in that event instead suspiciously.

Alysa does not seem like the type of girl who will let fame go to her head. to see her do battle with all these good Russian Juniors then in a couple years when she's a senior faysal the top Russian ladies and the Japanese ladies will be amazing. But for now let her take one step at a time.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Amazing post and points and thank you for that great commercial too. I have not seen it in so long.

I'm still upset how Nastia did not get her deserved gold medal on bars at the 2008 games. China took gold in that event instead suspiciously.

Alysa does not seem like the type of girl who will let fame go to her head. to see her do battle with all these good Russian Juniors then in a couple years when she's a senior faysal the top Russian ladies and the Japanese ladies will be amazing. But for now let her take one step at a time.

(The tie-breaking rules were so strange, they should have handed out two golds. But I agree, He Kexin didn't deserve gold on bars. However, neither did Nastia imo. Yang Yilin was robbed instead, she was stunning and perfect, unlike the other two, who had so many in-built deductions!)

I agree, Alysa doesn't seem like fame would go to her head. I hope the same is true for the adults in her life as well, because that can be just as dangerous as long as she's still so young. I wish her all the best, and am so looking forward to some great competitions.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa's Stats This Week:
- Clip of her 4Lz received over 400K views online
- Covered by the New York Times, Sports Illustrated, Team USA, Olympics, Washington Post, The Guardian, local news, and the Korean national news
- Performances of the Short and Long have received over 100K views on YouTube alone

Congrats to our little history maker and best of luck!

Scott512

Record Breaker
(The tie-breaking rules were so strange, they should have handed out two golds. But I agree, He Kexin didn't deserve gold on bars. However, neither did Nastia imo. Yang Yilin was robbed instead, she was stunning and perfect, unlike the other two, who had so many in-built deductions!)

I agree, Alysa doesn't seem like fame would go to her head. I hope the same is true for the adults in her life as well, because that can be just as dangerous as long as she's still so young. I wish her all the best, and am so looking forward to some great competitions.
What a great point you make about how you don't think fame will go to Alysa's head and you hope the same is true for the adults in her life. I don't think her father is fame-hungry but we will find out for sure in the next couple years.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Luxury Hotel Stay and Brunch, Skate America, to benefit
Alysa Liu:
I am the fan liason for the Pacific Coast Competitors
Figure Skating Foundation. I am selling two luxury hotel packages for Skate America to benefit Alysa. Brunch with Alysa and her father is included in these packages (she is attending as a spectator).

Package One:
Orleans Hotel
Four Nights, Oct 17 to 21.
Two Bedroom Luxury Louisiana Suite.
Sleeps up to six people.
Brunch for up to four people with Alysa at Orleans Hotel Buffet on Saturday late morning.
$1,000 (or best offer) including all taxes and fees (no resort fees) payable to
Pacific Coast Competitors Figure Skating Foundation.
Some of your donation may be tax deductible.

Package Two:
Two bedroom super luxury suite in Augustus Tower at Caesars Palace. All other provisions the same as package one.
$1,200(or best offer) including all taxes and fees payable to foundation.
Please private message me if interested.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Alysa, taking a page from Nathan's book:

-Note: I am paraphrasing here, not quoting.

Interview after JGP Lake Placid:

Ted: What are you planning on working on before your next competition?

Alysa: I'm not planning on changing anything. Planning on working on skating skills & speed into my jumps.

Alysa's protocol from her St. Moritz SP exhibition a few days ago:
http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm19/2019SkateStMoritzIJSEvents/SEGM043.html

3A3T, 2A, 3L

natsulian

Final Flight
Congratulations to Alysa Liu for earning another gold medal in Gdansk, Poland. Liu now heads into Torino with 30 points and two golds from Lake Placid and Poland.

Liu's interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMkAEC9yUts

Things to Note:
- Wants to go FASTER
- Wants to improve flow in and out of jumps
- Was nervous heading into the Free, but said she thought about it as though it was just another day at practice
- Has a lot of fun skating (most important)

Scott512

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Alysa Liu for earning another gold medal in Gdansk, Poland. Liu now heads into Torino with 30 points and two golds from Lake Placid and Poland.

Liu's interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMkAEC9yUts

Things to Note:
- Wants to go FASTER
- Wants to improve flow in and out of jumps
- Was nervous heading into the Free, but said she thought about it as though it was just another day at practice
- Has a lot of fun skating (most important)
I'll take your word on what she said because there was no volume in the interview I saw.

it's amazing to me that Alysa's short program kids are so much more trouble than her free skate does since the free skate is so tough.

Congrats to Alysa on winning Gdansk. The Junior Grand Prix final should be quite an event between her and Kamila.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Thanks for the link. Shows that Alysa and her parents are well grounded. And Alysa is still a child at heart, unspoiled by all the attention coming towards her.

"I'm mainly working on my speed on the ice, because I am pretty slow," Liu said, laughing. "And I'm working on how well I do each movement, my flow in between each movement and trying to become more flexible."

Trying to overtake the fast flowing flexible Valiyeva is certainly an ambitious but very worthwhile goal to strive for :)

Scott512

Record Breaker
New and lengthy interview with Alysa
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...and-prix-final/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

She has been working with Carolina Kostner in order to prepare for the JGPF. They worked on skating skills and artistry.

Alysa also has changed her FS layout for the JGPF
The first 4 jumping passes are
3A+2T, 4Lz+3T, 4Lz, 3A

Some people are going to be more interested in the girls competition than the ladies competition at Grand Prix final. ;) I am interested in both.