AMAZING moves people should know about | Page 3 | Golden Skate

AMAZING moves people should know about

Jonttu

Rinkside
Who is that?! Are they someone we should know in the skating world?

I have no idea who she is but I find that forward landed "baxel" exceptional. There's a mention in the comments of the video of her doing a combination of axel-baxel-axel, but I can't find that video.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I have no idea who she is but I find that forward landed "baxel" exceptional. There's a mention in the comments of the video of her doing a combination of axel-baxel-axel, but I can't find that video.

I couldn't either :cry:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is not original move but the high is very unbelieveable!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk140OnHDPF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk4xgviHQSI/

I was thinking of posting that move of Plushy's, but I wasn't sure where to get a photo of it. Seriously though, the height he gets on those are nuts!

For amazing moves, Harrison Bain's spins are stunning!

https://youtu.be/3r4EsmCCXwE at 1:55 - there's also a fabulous Russian split in there. :biggrin:

https://youtu.be/ARsyiIh0xJY - At about 3:35

My hip joints ache just watching those :laugh2:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is 540 a martial arts term?

Skaters have been doing these kicks since the early 70s, when skating was far more popular than martial arts, :laugh:, so I think I'll stick to the skating lingo, but since people are using the term, I am curious. (Also I do not follow and know nothing about martial arts, so there is that. :) )

And I would presume ballet predated martial arts, not the other way around, although if there is proof to the contrary, that could be interesting too.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Skaters have been doing these kicks since the early 70s, when skating was far more popular than martial arts

Where?

so I think I'll stick to the skating lingo

What is it?

And I would presume ballet predated martial arts, not the other way around, although if there is proof to the contrary, that could be interesting too.

It's a technique of fighting. It does indeed predate codified dance. By a lot.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where?

What is it?

It's a technique of fighting. It does indeed predate codified dance. By a lot.

I think I linked to the Wagon Wheel, and others have linked to the "ballet" kicks? :scratch2:I doubt there was one name given to these jumps, because they are transitions and not judged as "jumps", even back in the day. I was referring to the individual nicknames when I referred to skating terms. ETA: And because there are no points, many individual variants.

And I apologize if I was unclear, I meant the terms used in today's martial arts were not around in the 70s and I just cannot imagine the skaters who I saw with those kinds of jumps taking from the martial arts world as it existed then. I have no doubt that variations on this move has existed in all disciplines where movement is important, it's cool, and coolness crosses all borders:cool:

I suppose someone could ask Andrew T. if he has any knowledge of martial arts or if that was his inspiration for his own flying kick jump. I have read almost all the interviews I can with him, since he's a fave, :biggrin:, and I have not heard of any awareness of martial arts on his part, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. :)

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I was referring to the individual nicknames when I referred to skating terms.
Yeah? So what are they? All I did was recognize what Torgashev was doing based off my knowledge - what is the "skating nickname" for it? You did after all say you'd be sticking to them. I've never heard of anyone but you call it "The Flying Torg", so I'm guessing that's not it, nor do I see it ever catching on. If it doesn't exist, what's the problem with calling it by its off-ice equivalent's name?

I didn't even try to name anything from the other skaters,1970s or no, but it's an incredibly strange argument to say that something should not be called by the "current" name for an element because that name might not have existed in the 1970s, or because we don't know where they were inspired from. It's still the same thing, whether you like it or not. But look up a 540 in Wikipedia, for example? And if you have reason to believe martial arts didn't originate it, feel free to edit it. I'm guessing no one here is going to call it by the Chinese name even if it turns out that's indeed where it originated, of course.

And I apologize if I was unclear
I just cannot imagine the skaters who I saw with those kinds of jumps taking from the martial arts world as it existed then.
What "martial arts world" existed "then"? Are you sure you know, since you thought ballet predated martial arts? And why does it matter if someone cannot imagine it? Do you know what kind of inspiration these people drew, what they watched, or are you trying to say they limited themselves to only a small fraction of things for inspiration? None of that even matters in someone recognizing an element, anyway, which is all I did over there. Nowhere did I say "a 540 is what it should be called in skating" or "540 is what it's called in skating". Just "it's a 540".

If you think skaters don't draw constant inspiration from dance forms or other athletic endeavours, that's fine too, I'm guessing you agree with me that skating is not really artistic. :)

I suppose someone could ask Andrew T. if he has any knowledge of martial arts or if that was his inspiration for his own flying kick jump. I have read almost all the interviews I can with him, since he's a fave, :biggrin:, and I have not heard of any awareness of martial arts on his part, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. :)

The other poster and I also talked about its existence in ballet, which you ignored. Does Torgashev also not know ballet? I'm not even getting to the simple fact that he'll just have to know that tricking is a thing that he can learn, because maybe he doesn't know tricking exists either. Of course it's entirely possible that people came up with backflips on the ice before trying the off-ice equivalent.
I have no doubt that variations on this move has existed in all disciplines where movement is important, it's cool, and coolness crosses all borders:cool:
I have no clue whatsoever why you went from "ballet predated martial arts" to this. But so be it, because people from ballet definitely say that they drew inspiration from martial arts for this move.

Anyway, not a "move", but here's Alvin Ailey's interpretation of Sinner Man. I think Rohene Ward studied this dance for his choreography of Brown's SP.

Last edited: