Amber Glenn Withdraws from US Nationals due to COVID | Golden Skate

Amber Glenn Withdraws from US Nationals due to COVID

Weathergal

Medalist
Per Amber Glenn's Instagram, she has tested positive for COVID and has withdrawn from today's US Nationals free skate.

ETA: Confirmed on Twitter by Nick Zaccardi and retweeted by Phil Hersh who tweeted "Pull the plug. Now."

Honestly I don't know at this point...I think they should have had it without a crowd and in more of a bubble. So sad.. Hoping for safety for the rest of the skaters.

Dpbthomas1

On the Ice
Seen so many reports of all the unmasked people in the hotel. Las Vegas did such a good job isolating the skaters, maintaining a bubble. Why on earth has USFS gone along with a site with so few mask requirements, much less isolating and maintaining a bubble? They're putting all their athletes in danger. Fans and media should not have been allowed either.

I saw where Karen Chen was seen in the restaurant at the hotel. Most everyone was unmasked and she said she was there for about 10 minutes .. just trying to get her food and leave, taking it with her. Don't know if the skaters can get food delivered to them or not, but this entire event seems poorly planned.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yeah and losing 2 weeks of ice in January before Olympics wouldn't be optimal either,
let alone if someone got badly sick
Exactly, fortunately Alysa is young enough to try again but for Amber, this was her final chance at even making it to worlds. It's too bad they left her off the team last year as that might have been her only opportunity to get there.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Honestly, she probably would have felt worse having to withdraw had she skated a great SP and put herself in serious contention, because there's no way she'd be able to successfully petition for a spot.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I can't imagine the stress these athletes were under going into this event--it's almost worse than it being cancelled because placements will always have an asterisk of "well the top contenders could not complete." My heart goes out to Amber, because not only will she not get a spot, but will now have that memory of that rough SP until next season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
So sad for Amber. It was hard to watch her SP and I had such high hopes that she'd have a good FS.
You have to wonder if she was feeling the effects of her illness during her SP. I bet that can really play havoc with your mind as well as your body.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Can Amber petition for 4CC? She certainly deserves a spot, after winning the silver medal and being left off of the world team last year. She also had a very respectable GP season. Who else should be sent in her place? Gabby Izzy has had mixed results and Lindsay most likely will be sent to junior worlds.

USFS should think about our women’s team next year. Mariah and Karen will probably retire. Amber has said that she intends to continue. It will be important to have some veterans on the team next year and she could use the world standing points and the experience. With so many top skaters out because of the Olympics, she could even podium.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
Can Amber petition for 4CC? She certainly deserves a spot, after winning the silver medal and being left off of the world team last year. She also had a very respectable GP season. Who else should be sent in her place? Gabby Izzy has had mixed results and Lindsay most likely will be sent to junior worlds.

USFS should think about our women’s team next year. Mariah and Karen will probably retire. Amber has said that she intends to continue. It will be important to have some veterans on the team next year and she could use the world standing points and the experience. With so many top skaters out because of the Olympics, she could even podium.
Based on press conference I wouldn’t be surprised if Bradie Amber Mariah and Karen all skate next season while Alysa does not. And who knows what will happen with Isabeau and Lindsay. Either way Amber should go to 4CC IMO if only because she has the highest seasons best of eligible skaters outside Alysa, Karen, and Mariah. She is the only one with even the slightest chance of medaling against Young, Yelim, Mai, and Rino.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Based on press conference I wouldn’t be surprised if Bradie Amber Mariah and Karen all skate next season while Alysa does not. And who knows what will happen with Isabeau and Lindsay. Either way Amber should go to 4CC IMO if only because she has the highest seasons best of eligible skaters outside Alysa, Karen, and Mariah. She is the only one with even the slightest chance of medaling against Young, Yelim, Mai, and Rino.

What comments from Alysa are you referring to? Did she attend a press conference virtually(I thought she had covid)?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Has Amber made a decision as to whether or not she will continue skating. I can't imagine she wants to finish her career on such a sad note. She was so powerful and amazing in 2021 and I'd love to see her have one last great season.