American Idol 4/29 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol 4/29

G

guinevere

re:Elimination!

As soon as Ryan said (as Ruben and Josh were waiting to her who was in the bottom 2) "Ruben, you've never been in the bottom", I knew he was going to be there. I almost feel bad for Josh, because it can't be very nice for him to have to keep going out there and know that he's out of his league.

I am very sad about Trenyce going, but I did expect her to go next week. And I have to say she had the most classy goodbye - thanking the judges for their comments, and Paula for bringing her back. And how funny was it to see the tiniest person in the competition standing up there next to the hugest? (Actually, in a group thing, I noticed that Trenyce looked frighteningly skinny next to ...CLAY!:eek: )

I was not pleased to see the Teflon Goat back on the stage, but at least they apparently turned her mic off, because I couldn't hear her bleating at all.

I did like the '60s medley - and actually I thought Josh's solo was the best he has sung in the whole Top 12 - but I think he was feeling free 'cause he thought he was going.

Read on another thread that next week is the Bee Gees - anyone know about this? Seems weird, as they've already done disco, but it could be fun.

guinevere

C

crazy4michelle

Re: re:Elimination!

Here is my take on the whole fiasco last night.

I think a lot of people weren't voting for Ruben (me included) because they thought everyone else would vote for him. I've been punching Clays number every week, because I want him in the final two with Ruben. I didn't vote for Ruben because he was a sure thing. Big Mistake!

I think Josh is getting a lot of simpathy votes because of the things Simon says. They feel bad for him, right or wrong. The think I'm concerned about it, are Clay and Kimberly really at the top or has Josh been top 3 all along (except for last week)? I think this will push Ruben to go "above the bar" as Simon said about Kimberly.

On a side note, I don't know if anyone here has listened to Kelly Clarksons CD. But I bought it and loved it. She has a couple of songs like the one she sang on the show. Very Top 40 R&B, but there a couple that have some serious soul to them. They really showcase her talent. The reviews have been very good - considering it could have completely tanked. "Miss Independant" is very Top 40, pop sounding (not surprising that it was co-written by Christina Aguilara (sp)), but isn't that the whole point of the show, to find a pop idol? Overall, I think its a terrific CD and I think the songs are great. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

R

realistic51

Next week

guinevere, I'm the one that posted that about next week.

Something to remember, the Bee Gees weren't disco when they first became popular. The songs I listed on my thread are definitely and definitively NOT disco and that's why I prefer them...except for Jive Talkin' which comes from SNF.

That's why this wouldn't be a "disco" night unless those 4 can't get it through their heads that there are better Bee Gees songs than the ones in the late 70s.:rollin:

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Speaking of Justin, he was totally lame last night. But wasn't that a great opening ensemble performance?[/quote]

ITA and ITA

R

rgirl181

re: Elimination

Twinnie,
ITA that Ruben has suffered from overpraise. I don't think he's "full of himself"; I think he would have responded to criticism had the judges given it to him (Simon disappointed me in this with Ruben). As I've said before, I don't think the "Rooooben Lovefest" would do him any favors in the end. I really like the guy and think he has great potential, but that's all any of these people have when they start: potential. Kelly Clarkson got better every week last year because the for the first half of the show she got some pretty harsh critiques. Simon telling Clay he was the same every week was the best thing he could have done for him. Like you said, the worst comment you can get is "That was good." I think it's the same in any learning of an aesthetic skill, whether it be singing, dancing, writing prose fiction or poetry, art, whatever. I remember LOVING it when a knowledgable teacher or choreographer really pushed me. I hope this finish makes Ruben push himself, but I blame the judges. Randi and Paula are generally useless, but Simon should have been giving him useful feedback all along. Look what the criticism did for Kim Locke.
Rgirl

R

realistic51

AI 4/29

rgirl181, I kind of agree and kind of don't. Gee, is that surprising:rollin: ?

I do agree that some criticism should have come earlier on for Ruben, however, I still think he's fine just the way he is. What AI looks for, to me, is a marketable personality with talent. Ruben has that. Not EVERY person can be wrong about him.

As far as Kim goes, she has the potential but I always felt, in the beginning, she wasn't comfortable in her own skin on that stage. She even said so herself. Now that's she relaxed more she has raised her own bar. I still think her first song was awful the other night. But I've always voted for her until this week.

And, I do have to agree about one of the judges, Paula. She is entirely TOO nice. Randy has as of late been getting Simonitis (LOL). And the guest judges...well, 'nuff said.

So, I may not agree completely about Ruben, but I do think you have some good points.:D

C

crazy4michelle

I think next week the Bee Gees will be a guest judge (read somewhere that Simon thinks its ridiculous to have guest judges, since it was Simon, Randy and Paula that picked these kids from the beginning - and I don't think they really add to the show). I do know that the judges will pick one song for them to sing and the contestants pick one. Will be interesting to hear what the judges pick for Josh.

J

Jules Asner

Re: AI 4/29

I think Kim Locke and Clay have both improved because they listened to Simon's advice. They've got to get rid of Paula because she is useless and weird (I agree with Simon) and Randy, although he does tell them if he didn't like the performance, does not give them advice they can use he just says "I didn't like it tonight dog" while Simon is much more specific - like when he told Clay to stop making the facial expressions.

I was happy that Ruben did not suffer the same fate as Tamyra. The final last year would have been awesome if Tamyra and Kelly had a showdown. I would have taped it for sure.

Justin's new song is terribly boring as was his performance.

Joshua seems to have the worst attitude, the rest of the finalists seem to be able to handle criticism and Josh, who is most deserving of criticism, seems to get very angry. :mad: I don't like that he is using his status as a marine to get votes. After his horrible performances the other night he made sure to mention something about being in the Marine Corp. to Ryan Seacrest. Plus, the guy has no style and he continues to sing country music every week (and not very well).

I would be happy to see any of Clay, Ruben or Kimberly in the finals. I'm kinda hoping for Ruben and Kimberly. Clay's nice and has a great voice but he annoys me.

and WHY oh WHY do they continue to subject us to Carmen's singing?! :x Even in the group numbers, watching her mouth move out of sync with the rest of the group was very distracting.

R

rgirl181

Re: re: Elimination

Realistic--
Agree some, disagree some--these are my favorite kind of responses:D

But I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. As I said, <em>I really like Ruben and think he has great potential, but that's all any of these people have when they start: potential.</em> I think that was my way of saying pretty much what you said with: <em>What AI looks for, to me, is a marketable personality with talent. Ruben has that.</em>

But I wasn't sure what you meant by: <em>Not EVERY person can be wrong about him.</em> If you mean not every person can be wrong about how good he is, I don't think people are wrong about him at all. As I said, I really like him and perhaps I should have also said that I think he is really terrific and have always thought he would and should be in the final two. I was just saying that I think Ruben could have gotten better with some appropriate critiques from the judges instead of all praise. To me the point of the competition is to take someone with, to use your phrase, a marketable personality with talent, and challenge them to get better. Some, like Ruben started from about an 8 or 9 on a 10 point scale, IMO. Some like Kim Locke started from a 5 or 6, but I think she's worked up to an 8, in general. I think Clay started out as a 7 and has worked up to a 9. Ruben, IMO, has stayed at an 8/9. I would love to see him go up to a 10 and without feedback, that's very difficult to do. Anyway, I'm happy for us to continue to agree some and disagree some. Just continuing the agrees and disagrees;)

Jules,
ITA that it would have been amazing to have had Kelly and Tamyra in the final two last year. I think Tamyra was the victim of one very uncharasterically bad performance and "the top guys are safe" nonvoting phenomenon that almost got Ruben. Justin has nothing in terms of voice as far as I'm concerned. Put him on a "90210" show after some acting lessons, fine. I think he does have a presence and charisma that appeals to the tween and teen demographic. But that's about it.

And ITA agree about Josh's attitude. Very negative and antagonistic. Aren't marines supposed to take it like a man, so to speak? I don't think his singing has much to recommend it and although once or twice when he let go with his country style I thought he might have something, it was fleeting. I think had he not been in the armed forces during this particular time, he would have been gone a lot earlier.

But me, I like Clay. Just do. I'd like to see it be Ruben and Clay as the final two. Kim has potential, but is not as strong IMO as Ruben or Clay. But I'm glad to see a woman who is not a thin, blonde, white Brittany/Christina type get good support. Nothing wrong with thin blonde white etc, just nice to see a change.
Rgirl

R

realistic51

AI 4/29

rgirl181, my "not EVERY person can be wrong about him" remark wasn't supposed to be there.:rollin: I was typing at work and talking to someone about someone else and typed what I was saying. You ever done that?:rollin:

I think that out of all the contestants, Ruben came in with the most marketable talent. I do love Clay though.

I never watched the first American Idol..ok, I watched it one time and thought...ugh, what IS this show? Now look at me. I haven't missed a week! I'm too old for this stuff, but hey, I'm still waiting for BB4 and Amazing Race 4 and whatever else.

As far as Marines taking it like a man, that's not quite true. They are supposed to defend themselves. While I don't like Josh's singing, I certainly like to laugh at his barbs back at Simon. But against a Brit with a very dry, caustic humor, he doesn't stand a chance.

Doesn't this make you wonder if Clay will be on the bottom this week if it happened to Ruben? I mean, seriously.:rollin:

S

Show 42

I do like Ruben, he has a lot of personality singing, but I have to say that Clay has the most versatile talent. I can see him doing country, stage, pop, ballads, musical theater, where as the other contestants seem to me to be a bit more limited as to what they will be able to do if they "hit it big". You have to be able to reinvent yourself with the passage of time (don't we all). Josh and even Ruben seem "one dimensional" to me. (Okay, ducking to avoid getting clobbered by rotten fruit.).......42

R

rgirl181

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>rgirl181, my "not EVERY person can be wrong about him" remark wasn't supposed to be there. I was typing at work and talking to someone about someone else and typed what I was saying. You ever done that?[/quote] :rollin: at myself for writing a whole paragraph trying to explain myself in response to something that was a comment aimed at a coworker:rollin: I haven't done that exact same thing (yet!) but I will be thinking one word and write another ALL the time, like I'll be thinking "edging" and write "judging." It's a wonder some of my posts make any sense at all. I post a lot while watching TV so someday I'm sure dialogue from "Six Feet Under" will make it into my posts. I'd better be careful. I just heard that if "Six Feet Under" were in movie theaters and subject to the MPAA ratings, it would get an NC-17, not an R rating:smokin:

So now I'm intrigued about this person where you work who not EVERY person can be wrong about:lol:
Rgirl

Show,
I wouldn't worry about rotten fruits. If anybody does throw some, I'll protect you:lol: Besides I've seen some posts where people have said they just "don't get" the big deal about Ruben. Kind of like figure skating;)

S

Show 42

RGirl, absolutely like figure skating. One person's cup of tea is another person's "stale coffee"......but boy, I have enjoyed watching the weekly installments of the "American Idol". I find all the singers unique and very entertaining. I haven't voted yet, but this week I think I will.........:D 42

R

realistic51

Rotten fruit

rgirl181, it was the superintendent of our school district I was discussing....:rollin: . Since I work in the school district, I've heard loads of things so I suppose MOST people are correct. However I've only met him twice (imagine that) and refuse to have an opinion one way or another.

show42, I don't have any rotten fruit. And I just threw out the cherry tomatoes that went south. So I suppose you're safe:rollin: . No really, I happen to like BOTH Clay and Ruben. I find that there are probably the only two who are NOT one-dimensional. It's funny, but Ruben singing "Sweet Home Alabama" was pretty out of character for him while Clay sounded right at home doing country. I think it takes a lot to get up and do a Lynard Skynard song.....:rollin: especially when everyone says you have a "Barry White" thing going on. Which I wholeheartedly disagree with. Ruben's more like Luther Vandross and Teddy Prendergast than Barry White. Sigh, those men....prayers for Luther....just made me melt.

Well, anyway, let's hope Josh is gone this next week.

S

Show 42

Re: Rotten fruit

Realistic....whoosh, I thought I was a gonner there. I didn't want to tred on anyone's toes here, but Clay's voice just blows me away everytime I hear him sing. I guess I have "blinders on my ears" when it comes to the others..:p .
I agree about Josh....he's not in the same league as the others, but he does have the nicest looking eyes. Watch them when he sings.........42