American Idol Feb. 28-March 1. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol Feb. 28-March 1.

I was finding Mikalah annoying as well....however, this week I have to admit her performance was pretty good and she didn't go on and on talking....like Toni said earlier in a post, she's a whole lot better when she stops talking and just sings. But I have a feeling she'll end up annoying me again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
NJSk8Fan said:
I was finding Mikalah annoying as well....however, this week I have to admit her performance was pretty good and she didn't go on and on talking....like Toni said earlier in a post, she's a whole lot better when she stops talking and just sings. But I have a feeling she'll end up annoying me again.

ITA, Patch :)

my aunt said she was channelling Bette Midler in her performance this week... but I didn't agree... I like Bette :laugh:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
OH to be 17 again...

childfreegirl said:
I like Bo too. I didn't see the guys' night this week, but from the clip and what else I've seen, I like his style a lot and I hope he goes a lot further. He's the one that stands out the most to me.

...I would have been throwing my panties on the stage. :) Sorry to all the younger hipper folks who might not understand.....:rock:

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I was impressed with her performance this week.

NJSk8Fan said:

No doubt she is a talented youngster. But her tears + mascara last night reminded me of Tammy Fay. Yikes. If she makes it on through to the end, I feel sorry for whoever ends up as her manager. I think that person will have to also be a mother, a babysitter, a teacher, and psychologist, a chaperone, etc.

DG

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
No doubt she is a talented youngster. But her tears + mascara last night reminded me of Tammy Fay. Yikes. If she makes it on through to the end, I feel sorry for whoever ends up as her manager. I think that person will have to also be a mother, a babysitter, a teacher, and psychologist, a chaperone, etc.

DG

she said as much

"I want to be a celebrity because I need someone to take care of me. I can't cook, I can't clean, I can't even walk my own dog."

I was spoiled like that too when I was little, but even *I* know how to walk a dog :p

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
CONSTANTINE LOOKS LIKE VICTOR KRAATZ????? I am really gonna have to pay more attention next week. :laugh:

This was actually the first week I've tuned in, partly due to the fact I've only recently been able to get the Fox station again following a nasty altercation I had with my TV antanna a few months ago. :mad: So far, I have to say that NOBODY is really standing out for me -- except for Aloha, who got sent home (she had the only voice among the ladies that really stood out for me), and Scott.

One thing that did strike me is that apparently the list of songs they can sing has gotten longer, because I heard stuff I've never head before, like that song that Bo sang Tuesday night. I gotta say, for AI, that was pretty edgy, tho I could have done without the Jim Morrison About To Smash The Microphone thing. Still not sure if I liked it or not. And I don't know what -- was it Janay? I don't have the names down yet -- was thinking doing "Hit Him Up Style" or whatever it's called. It is a very bad idea to choose songs as a soloist wherein the main hook is in the BACKUP CHORUS. The best part of the song was on tape by some karaoke-type backup singers! No way anyone could have carried that song off, I'm surprised she didn't get sent home.

I voted for Aloha like crazy because she was in the perfect position to be this year's early Tamyra Gray/LaToya London. Obviously I didn't vote like crazy enough.

Here's the deal:
a. Aloha was great the first week, which is when before a lot of people tune in.
b. The judges overcriticized her the second week based on her boffo performance the week before. (I can't believe I said "boffo.")
c. She went first. With that many singers to get through, she was singing within the first couple of minutes. My bet is that a lot of people missed her performance and only heard the judges gripe.
d. She was not prepared. She made a last minute change in the song she was going to do and that is the kiss of death for any performer of anything 99.9% of the time. However, it was still clear she had one of the strongest voices of the women and her performance was still pretty good.
e. People vote for people based on the most ridiculous reasons, which you don't need me to tell any of you.

What I want to know is how old is Aloha? Can she try again next year or will she be too old? She made a rookie mistake (changing the song at the last minute) and had some bad luck with going first. Simon said he thought she would have last another two weeks. I think she could have finished second or third.

Wait! I just noticed on Toni's post that Aloha is only 18, so yes! She could be back next year. I hope so!

Doggygirl, I did throw my panties at the TV when Bo sang. The question is, did they stick?

About Carrie: I had a good laugh at Simon's expense (like he cares with all his money and girls and EVERY DAMN THING!) for chastising Carrie for "trying to do some kind of rock thing" and obviously not knowing she was doing the Faith Hill version of "Piece of My Heart." ( :rock: Piel! Nice one!)

However, I still hate the Faith Hill version of "Piece of My Heart." Plus, not very swift of Carrie to choose to sing that song two weeks or so after Melissa Etheridge rocked the entire country with the Joplin version of it AND was an inspiration to cancer survivors the world over. Good thing she's great lookin' and can genuinely sing.

I don't get Mario either. I keep thinking he's a Super Mario Brothers computer figure.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT MIKALAH: Get her off AI and on a new sitcom with Fran Drescher. Fran as "The Nanny" is now divorced from Mr. Nanny and she finds out she has some niece or cousin or something whose mother has died and Fran is the only one who can take care of her. Ah, gee. I miss taking care of kids, says Fran the Nanny. Then Mikalah walks in as the spittin' image (as we know) of Fran's Nanny character. It's perfect sitcom cheese, it will make a zillion bucks, and I've got it copyrighted under my name. At least it will get her off AI. Besides, she really should be doing sitcoms.

I'm bummed about Aloha, but I'm bummed about one of the AI women getting voted off every year. I really hope we don't have to say aloha to Aloha for good and that next year we can say aloha to Aloha again. (I try, but Piel, you da bomb.)

Rgirl

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL RGirl...

About the throwing panties at the TV. As long as we're going back in time in our minds, I might have to try that next week if Bo gives an equivalent performance.

I feel sorry for you younger women who never got the thrill of dating dangerous long haired bad boys in the 70's. What a great time it was. I'm glad I didn't marry one, (Mayberry guys are better for that!!) but I sure had some fun back then.

I suspect that all of the top AI contestents that are really good, like Aloha, will get many great opportunities as a result of this exposure. At least that is my wish for her.

DG

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually this was Aloha's only chance... once you make it past the Hollywood auditions you can not come back.... so Aloha wouldn't be able to re-audition even if she wanted to

however, who's to say they've gotten rid of the wildcard show (I hope not!) they could bring Aloha back

Doggygirl said:
About the throwing panties at the TV. As long as we're going back in time in our minds, I might have to try that next week if Bo gives an equivalent performance.
Go for it, baby! :clap: Also, you have me :rofl:

I feel sorry for you younger women who never got the thrill of dating dangerous long haired bad boys in the 70's. What a great time it was. I'm glad I didn't marry one, (Mayberry guys are better for that!!) but I sure had some fun back then.
I knows whatcha mean. It was so good being such a bad girl, at least for a while. When Carrie chose not to sing "Break another little piece of my heart in the dark, yeah!" I know she was doing Faith Hill's version, but there is nothing like hearing the great Janis Joplin sing it for the first time. JMO, but if you can't sing the song as a woman in the throes of hot monkey love, no matter if you're doing it rock or country, you should choose a different song. I think Carrie could have down a terrific job with "Me and Bobby Magee."

Toni,
Thanks for the AI rule info. Of course they changed the rules for this year (raising the age limit), they could always do the same next year.

At least about 13 million people, IIRC, got to see Aloha give a great performance last week. I hope somebody in the music industry notices. I really like Aloha, her voice, her performance quality, and her soul--musically speaking, that is.

Rgirl

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Janis Joplin - NOW we're talkin'!!

Rgirl said:
Go for it, baby! :clap: Also, you have me :rofl:

I knows whatcha mean. It was so good being such a bad girl, at least for a while. When Carrie chose not to sing "Break another little piece of my heart in the dark, yeah!" I know she was doing Faith Hill's version, but there is nothing like hearing the great Janis Joplin sing it for the first time. JMO, but if you can't sing the song as a woman in the throes of hot monkey love, no matter if you're doing it rock or country, you should choose a different song. I think Carrie could have down a terrific job with "Me and Bobby Magee."

Rgirl

Me and Bobby is my all time favorite Janis tune. That old "album" (of course on CD now) is in my old rock collection. There is only ONE *amateur* (and I wouldn't even call her amateur - just not nationally known) that I have EVER heard do justice to that song. Her name was Terry T. Her and her husband had a "house band" at the restaurant / bar that they owned in the Tampa area. Mostly country rock. Terry would make an AWESOME American Idol - great voice and absolutely GORGEOUS besides. They did a lot of original music (got that in my collection too) in addition to other well known stuff. I was a "regular" there, and Terry told me once that learning Me and Bobby Magee was THE HARDEST song made famous by someone else that she ever tackled. The range is incredible, along with the changes in volume, energy, voice tone, etc. She told me that NO other song of her vast selection ever took her as long to get "stage ready."

So...I'm not sure Carrie could ever measure up in my mind with THAT one!! But Carrie does have a good voice and I hope she puts something better together for next week.

And then there's Bo. My Bad Boy. :rock:

DG

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tereza said:
IConstantine Maroulis couldn't look more like Victor Kraatz if he tried. I used to think he was the prettiest thing in the world until I saw those teeth, and he was on Elimidate please? He couldn't sing to save his life!

Constantine looks like Victor Kraatz? You must be kidding!!! Not at all. Victor has a beautiful smile.

http://www.angelfire.com/me/shaeandvic/

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
AI Notes so far

AI has certain trends, as fans repeatedly watch from season to season, and vote in ways that show patterns. In the first few weeks, contestants that are the most boring and safe get voted off. Contestants that are bad, for whatever reason, but usually because of youth and nerves (John Stevens, Janay Castine for example), become the underdogs and get fans who want them to stay in to prove they can do it. Once they give a good, safe, dull performance, they leave. Ultimately, the most original with great vocals and the best performance skills wins based on the built fan base. I still like the show, but it is ultimately predictable to some degree.

The first week, I predicted that Mira and Sarah would be likely to leave because they were among the most unoriginal, dull, karaoke-like perfrmances that week. Celena and Amanda were also very dull the first week, signaling that they would possibly leave soon unless they expose a new side. The influences of Simon are there too---he often shows a preference for the younger, causasian, attractive girls with big voices. Janay was so young and scared, she got the sympathy vote, and has now a fan base. She won't stay if she is lame this week, three strikes and you are out.

The first week for the guys sent Jared and Judd home because they were among the most boring. Judd did a novelty song and actually annoyed so many he was sent home. David Brown, Travis Tucker and Joe Murena played it safe and were dull, signaling problems for the next weeks. I actually predicted Jared, but thought Travis might have gone the first week, and was a bit surprised that Judd went home.

The second week, for the girls, Celena tried her best, did well and was still very dull because she is cover band/wedding singer quality. I thought Janay would go for doing a bad impersonation of a stylized song (where you must mimic a singer's style instead of sing your song your way) instead of Aloha or Vonzell, who made the same error, but it was a very poor performance for Aloha and she didn't have enough fans from mimicing Beyonce last week to save her. She was awful, and she went first. Amanda was saved by giving energy to a safe up beat, beloved song, but she is dull with no special qualities. Lindsey stepped it up from being boring consistently, but she is also in danger of killng her chances through being nothing special.

Predictions for next week, if they exhibit the same song selection qualities:

Girls: Amanda and Janay are on the bubble. Lindsey, Mikaha and Vonzell have to step it up to be safe. Two of these five will go home, three will be safe. Carrie, Jessica, Nadia are safe for the top 6. Ultimately, Carrie and Jessica or Nadia will be in the final top 3 after the merge to 12.

Boys: This is tougher to predict as the competition is close and any small mistakes could change things. Possibly Mario,Travis, Scott and Constantine are on the bubble. Two of these four will go, two will stay. Bo, Anthony, Anwaar and Nikko are probably safe for the top 6. Ultimately, Bo and Anthony or Anwaar will be in the final top 3 after the merge into 12.

Carrie and Bo are my predictions for the top 2, unless unusual things happen along the way, which is the fun of watching.. Sometimes twists and turns happen along the way, but the utimate top 2 is usually predictable a few weeks before when clear excellence shows up consistently.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
John Stevens left after he got stuck in a genre he had no business even attempting (ie Latin LOL) not because he had a safe song... had he been able to stay in another round he would have been in the genre he was destined to be in...

I did not vote for him out of sympathy... I voted for him because the kid can croon!

Jasmine was the one who really stayed in longer than she needed to, IMHO (and for that matter Diana) and LaToya went home way too soon

and then there was Carmen from season 2... if Simon hadn't picked her she never would have made the top 12, so I don't understand why she got as far as she did *gag*

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Tereza, it is cruel and rude to make fun of someone's physical appearance. On some boards that may be the thing to do but here we do not find it amusing. While I am interested in your opinions of the singer's performances your commemts about Scott's or anyone elses physical appearance especially the things one has no control over need to stop. Toni has already told you that she is offended and now I am asking you to please try to be more considerate. We are all shielded by the anonimity of the internet so you have no idea who you could be offending. Thanks Tereza. Didn't mean to step on the mods toes, just thought it needed to be said.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
Tereza, it is cruel and rude to make fun of someone's physical appearance. On some boards that may be the thing to do but here we do not find it amusing. While I am interested in your opinions of the singer's performances your commemts about Scott's or anyone elses physical appearance especially the things one has no control over need to stop. Toni has already told you that she is offended and now I am asking you to please try to be more considerate. We are all shielded by the anonimity of the internet so you have no idea who you could be offending. Thanks Tereza. Didn't mean to step on the mods toes, just thought it needed to be said.

considering a mod has already told her to cool it (al beit on a thread and not in private) you aren't stepping on toes, Piel

Tereza... if you don't like fat people, get over it or knock it off. Jabba the Hutt looks and is nothing like what we've seen of Scott.

not only that but this fat chick (ie, ME) is also a Star Wars geek and I just have to say that Jabba is well over 100 years old by the time Return of the Jedi was made, so I can't see how he's Scott's twin brother. :laugh:

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Tereza, HATE towards anyone is not a topic I personally care to read about on Goldenskate, not do I think that topic is in keeping with the rules of this board.

DG