An End of An Era- Post Olympics Withdrawal Syndrome | Page 2 | Golden Skate

An End of An Era- Post Olympics Withdrawal Syndrome

First off, I will be broken by the loss of Meryl and Charlie :cry: my second all-time favourite dance team.

V/M, even though I don't even like them. But without V/M and D/W ice dancing will definitely lose a lot of its charm. In ice dancing the end of an era will be the most visible and the most painful.

I agree! :cry: Although, I wasn't aware that D/W are for sure retiring...
Either way, I just haven't seen another ice dance team (currently) like D/W or V/M that make a viewer feel the way they do. I love both teams, so the idea of them both retiring is very sad.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's wishful thinking but I've always wondered it would have been like she was old enough to skate at the Olympics in 2006. Or if she had stayed with Artunian or another technical coach instead of going to Tarasova? Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing her show skating if she decides to pursue that.

Tarasova ruined Mao. I can't think of another way to put it. Tat gave her the completely wrong type of programs for her stating style and gave her choreography far too complex for a woman to do along with landing all the triples.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Aw, hikki. This is all so true. Of course, I also will be most sad for Daisuke. He is just THE one for me, and I don't think this feeling will ever come back.
I know! I'm watching his NHK, Nationals and Olympics on repeat now... What a dramatic season it has been for him. He's so in peace with the outcome though! He has a look of someone who's achieved their goal. I will miss him terribly...

Daisuke's my favorite too! Can anyone provide a translation of the interview with the 3 skaters? I feel a bit sorry for Machida, getting lost in the mix b/c he's not a medal winner or an old fan favorite like Daisuke. Hope he has a big fan base in Japan too!

Nobunari interviewed Yuzuru, Machida and Daisuke. Asked what set Yuzuru apart from Patrick, with both of them falling, Nobu attributed the jump content in the second half and his strong mentality. After a general chat with the panelists in the studio, Nobu asked Yuzu 1) what he was saying before the skate and 2) where his Pooh (he's into Pooh stuffed animals), to which he said, "He was watching me in my room in Sochi. Then Nobu teased Machida on his poetic comment after the short, and his response was in a good sport. (Context: Machida became a bit of a "philosopher" in the media this season as he said so many interesting comments, quoting his favourite authors/philosophers etc). Mchida's "oddness" seems to be perceived with a lot of love and affection in Japan.

Then Daisuke's turn. Nobu was so overwhelmed with emotion he couldn't say much. He said he was worried watching Dai on the home link (with which Nobu shares) before the Olympics. Dai helped Nobu out by saying how they should go for BBQ (like "we should have a drink) when he returns.

The funniest part of this interview was when Yuzuru gave yet another perfect good-boy comment: "I'm only a newbie and I couldn't have done this without my seniors like Daisuke. Thank you so much", to which Daisuke immediately replied, "Oh you're too much! You have nerves of steel."

What I regret is that so many of my favorites are retiring and that we don't have any pro competitions or decent shows here is the US. I look forward to see what Jeremy, SS and other do in the future. Hopefully, there will be videos of the shows and tours in Europe and Asia.

This is so true. I think Rosalynn Sumners on TSL said something like the skaters nowadays don't pay back to the skating community (by skating in the pro circuit)? Well while there are some shows in Europe and Asia (mainly Japan and Yuna shows in Korea), I wish there was World Pros. Imagine seeing all these past champions competing in a different format!!!

Above else I'll miss Davis / White and Virtue / Moir pushing each other. They are the two teams that have gotten me interested in ice dance, just won't be the same without them.

When I watch them, I think the COP must have done something right for ice dance alright!! They are so amazing!

I will bawl my eyes out. This truly is an end of an era.

Fate was kind after Vancouver, we did not say goodbye to so many big names. Now... I'm gonna have to look for new favourites in all disciplines, let go of many skating loves I've adored for years, build my love for skating as it is all over again.

ITA...

On top of all the skaters everyone has mentioned, I'll miss Pang & Tong, too. I loved their interpretation of the music. So lyrical. Apparently they're going to wed after Sochi :)

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree - it was like I lost a loved one when I watched him skate... unbearable for me... very emotional because he represented all that I love in men's figure skating.

Aw, hikki. This is all so true. Of course, I also will be most sad for Daisuke. He is just THE one for me, and I don't think this feeling will ever come back. This season is hard, because I just don't see any wonderful exiting skater that will hold my attention that can compare. I might watch one or two competitions in the years to come but with Dai, S/S, Mao, Yuna, Akiko, Kanako, Brian ect. gone I see myself loosing interest very soon. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

treeloving

Medalist
Carolina, Kostner the only real ballerina on ice for me. She has the most beautiful performance and programs. No one can do it like her.

volk

Final Flight
Definitely S/S... they never won ogm, but they were really special and really contributed to the sport. They'll be remembered as legends. And Yuna... at least I have youtube to watch perormances again T.T

I have a feeling she'll comeback for Olympics in her homecountry

Daisuke at the top of the list. I was watching his free skate last night and noticed especially the way he uses his entire body as an entity. He's artistic without being fussy or overly embellished. His program called to my mind not only other great skaters but also great dancers who combine athleticism with elegance, like Gene Kelly and Baryshnikov. After watching Dai, it seemed to me as if even Chan, a graceful guy, didn't really know what to do with his arms and seemed merely to swing them from the shoulders out. Dai is really irreplaceable.

Of course I'll miss the two North American ice dance couples, D/W and V/M--I haven't yet seen anyone new who gives me the same thrill, but maybe I'm just so focused on them that I can't really notice anyone just yet.

I know that a lot of promising young girls are showing up, especially from Russia, but YuNa and Mao are going to be very hard to equal. They have been giants in the annals of skating.

But skating has always delivered new excitement, generation after generation. After Michelle and then Sasha, I didn't think I could be riveted by any other ladies, but Mao and YuNa were suddenly there. After Kulik and Yagudin, who left way too soon, we were gifted with Daisuke. So I am confident that others will come along, though we can't see them yet. And we can hope that at least some of our favorites will find opportunities to skate as pros in Europe and Asia and continue to advance the artistry of the sport.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Hi Hikki! Nice to see you on here! You and I first "met" when I expressed my admiration for Mao, remember?!

So I completely empathize and share your feelings! The ones I will miss most are

1) Jeremy- I sobbed through his Olympic free skate in part because it was so sublime and beautiful and in part because it was his Olympic (and possibly competitive) swan song. I will miss his individuality, his artistry, his integrity, his ability to bounce back from disappointment. I will miss witnessing his touching bond with Yuka in the K & C. I will miss the profundity of his programs and their musicality. I will even miss the suspense of whether or not he could live up to his potential in performance and being elated when he does (NHK long, US Nationals this year) and devastated when he doesn't. I will miss the simplicity and beauty he creates on the ice- the ability to move people and to take skating to a spiritual plane. and I will miss his Mom, one of the greatest ambassadors for skating in the US.

2) Dai- 2nd only to Jeremy in my heart and in my head- he is a true artiste and also seems like a total sweetheart- is that true? He is wonderfully intense and dramatic on the ice, but seems so humble and funny and REAL off it. I love love loved him in the K & C for the Team Event.

3) Mao! She has only recently begun to bloom as an artist and her short and long this year are my favorite womens' programs. She also seems absolutely lovely and kind, humble, and gracious.

4) Akiko- what a GEM! what a joy!

5) Davis/White and Virtue/Moir- individually and the rivalry.

6) Carolina- beauty beauty beauty. vision. artistic integrity. the ability to be spiritual and transcendent. A sweet lovely girl.

7) S and S- always innovative, competitive, interesting, brave.

8) Patrick if he retires. The best skating skills of any man, ever.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I agree - it was like I lost a loved one when I watched him skate... unbearable for me... very emotional because he represented all that I love in men's figure skating.

And SweetSkates, I'm sure Jeremy's leaving has you choked up too! :) I thought of you so much during the past few days!!!

Orange Cat

On the Ice
The thought of following skating competitions that do not feature Daisuke, Akiko or Pang/Tong makes my heart heavy. Then I remember Mao and Kanako have also announced their pending retirements...

It is currently raining outside, and I feel that this is a classic case of pathetic fallacy.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
The thought of following skating competitions that do not feature Daisuke, Akiko or Pang/Tong makes my heart heavy. Then I remember Mao and Kanako have also announced their pending retirements...

It is currently raining outside, and I feel that this is a classic case of pathetic fallacy.

Orange Cat! Thank you for reminding me of Pang & Tong- so sad to see them go too, although that sadness is a little mitigated by thinking of their upcoming wedding!- and for the wonderful pathetic fallacy reference! :)

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
1) Jeremy
3) Mao! She has only recently begun to bloom as an artist and her short and long this year are my favorite womens' programs. She also seems absolutely lovely and kind, humble, and gracious.
8) Patrick if he retires. The best skating skills of any man, ever.

Hi wordsworthgirl! Good to see you too :) Thanks for sharing your passion with Jeremy! Reading your words I could relate to how you feel about someone you've been so invested in. I remember being completely blown away by Jeremy's Organ Symphony at 2010 Nationals (and being lucky enough to see him live in Vancouver, where he unfortunately didn't do well)! His PCS for the LP in Sochi should've been much higher!

And I agree about Mao only recently (post Vancouver) blooming as an artist. I used to think she was just a naturally lyrical skater, heavily relying on her gifted lines and presence. But since the Jupiter exhibition in 2010/2011 I've been pleasantly proven wrong!

This may sound strange but I'm actually looking forward to her retirement. She's gone through so much already. And selfishly I can't bear the process of being excited/frustrated/relived/nervous/insert any possible emotion about her strategy on how many 3 axels or what not, and the thrill of watching her go for it all. Does that make sense?

ITA about Patrick!

The good thing about Mao is that since she's in Japan, she has the chance for a wonderful pro career if she decides to continue skating but to retire from competition. That would be great, because she could concentrate on developing the artistic side of skating, exploring new music to skate to. If that happens, I hope Japanese fans will alert us to her new performances so we can hunt them up on YouTube.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Daisuke at the top of the list. I was watching his free skate last night and noticed especially the way he uses his entire body as an entity. He's artistic without being fussy or overly embellished. His program called to my mind not only other great skaters but also great dancers who combine athleticism with elegance, like Gene Kelly and Baryshnikov. After watching Dai, it seemed to me as if even Chan, a graceful guy, didn't really know what to do with his arms and seemed merely to swing them from the shoulders out. Dai is really irreplaceable.

Olympia, I couldn't have put it better, like you explained why I loved his skate so much. Thank you! Aw I'm feeling even more sad now!

But skating has always delivered new excitement, generation after generation. After Michelle and then Sasha, I didn't think I could be riveted by any other ladies, but Mao and YuNa were suddenly there. After Kulik and Yagudin, who left way too soon, we were gifted with Daisuke. So I am confident that others will come along, though we can't see them yet. And we can hope that at least some of our favorites will find opportunities to skate as pros in Europe and Asia and continue to advance the artistry of the sport.

That's true! We can be optimistic. In Men's I'm hoping Denis Ten, another "dancer" type skater like Daisuke, will get his consistency and bring his complete package to the next level. Han Yan has a great potential with his beautiful stroking and enormous jumps. He could get a make-over with a new choreographer? In Ladies I'm really not sure what to do. We'll see!

The good thing about Mao is that since she's in Japan, she has the chance for a wonderful pro career if she decides to continue skating but to retire from competition.

Oh that would be wonderful! But for some reason I have a feeling she'll leave skating all together... She seems to be quite competition driven. But yes, that would be great!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I didn't really start following figure skating until 2008-2009, and what drew me to it were Mao and Yuna. I was rooting for both of them to win the OGM, will be doing that again this week, and will miss both of them equally.
The men's competition only started to catch my interest until later even, so I don't have the emotional attachment to skaters like Plushenko, Takahashi and Oda as most figure skating fans have. Sorry to see them go, but I'm more into the 'next' generation.

Ladymadchan

Rinkside
Daisuke, Brian, Tomas. Brian in particular, since it feels like he's been around forever. He's also the one I used to be fangirling about to the most riddiculous extent back when I was a teen.

Do I know what you mean about Brian :laugh: He's still very easy on the eyes. So glad he had two good Olympic Skates this time around. And very happy he went out doing two quads in the Free. Crazy at any age, especially 29 years old. I looked back on his career with some of his old programs; and there are so many crowd-pleasing fun programs of the likes you don't see in COP. May he have a wonderful career as a pro and as a coach!

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
if skaters can't handle an extra four minutes on the ice three days before the individual competition, i don't know why they're calling themselves elite athletes

tough titties, deal with it

glam

On the Ice
Those of your who have "lost" your favourite skater, have you found some one new after? Has it felt the same?
I'm super sad right now because my favourite skater who I've been rooting for years retires.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Those of your who have "lost" your favourite skater, have you found some one new after? Has it felt the same?
I'm super sad right now because my favourite skater who I've been rooting for years retires.

Yes, it's possible, but it doesn't happen right away. I was obssessed with Drobiazko/Vanagas, after they retired in 2002 I lost interest in ice dancing for a while for the lack of new favourites, but then D/V came back for an amazing Olympic season and a year later came Meryl and Charlie who stole my heart completely. It doesn't feel the same, but it does feel special, just in a different way :)

I never loved any lady as much as I did Michelle and any man as much as I did Yags, though. But those two were just irreplaceable.

CassAgain

On the Ice
I'm actually looking forward to not having a very favorite (team) whom I've pinned my emotions to. It's become a bit exhausting, and I'm looking forward to being a more casual fan of many and an anti-fan of a few--'cause that's fun, too.