An End of An Era- Post Olympics Withdrawal Syndrome | Page 3 | Golden Skate

An End of An Era- Post Olympics Withdrawal Syndrome

miki88

Medalist
Oh that would be wonderful! But for some reason I have a feeling she'll leave skating all together... She seems to be quite competition driven. But yes, that would be great!

She said she will continue with "The ICE" and show skating, which is wonderful because her best programs have been her exhibitions.

Icey

Record Breaker
It's time for a new play with some new characters. The ones who will retire, as much as we appreciate them and give them fan love, have, to the largest extent, played out their skating destiny. Fortunately, we live in an age in which their work is on film and we can look at it with fond memory, on our computers. Their leaving is sad, but it is even more sad to see a skater stay so long their decline is there for us to see.

Snoopy15

On the Ice
Mao and Yuna, without a doubt. Their presence throughout the years will be missed greatly. Pang and Tong are also a team that I will miss. Above all, on a personal level, it would most likely be Daisuke. His Cyber Swan program was what got me invested into the sport as an active participant.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Daisuke's my favorite too! Can anyone provide a translation of the interview with the 3 skaters? I feel a bit sorry for
Machida, getting lost in the mix b/c he's not a medal winner or an old fan favorite like Daisuke. Hope he has a big fan base in Japan too!

Do you have a link to the interview? I can translate it for you.

vegarin

On the Ice
Fate was kind after Vancouver, we did not say goodbye to so many big names. Now... I'm gonna have to look for new favourites in all disciplines, let go of many skating loves I've adored for years, build my love for skating as it is all over again.
It's totally true. It's sort of amazing how many favourite skaters from 2010 have returned now, and how we'd be losing pretty much most of them and all at once. :cry:

lady_bee

Medalist
Those of your who have "lost" your favourite skater, have you found some one new after? Has it felt the same?
I'm super sad right now because my favourite skater who I've been rooting for years retires.

I took neary 20 years to find Mao, after I lost Midori:biggrin:
There were always good skaters who draw my attention, but, Midori was so phenomenal!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will miss V/M, Jeremy (when he was on), Mao, Yuna, and Daisuke all for their lovely artistry and grace. I will also miss Plushy for the drama he brings and his huge jumps (although I'm in the camp that he should've retired after the team event and not wait until the SP to withdraw).

We do have other skaters to look forward to - I'm excited to see where Jason Brown goes with his career, and also some of the baby Russians, like Elena Radionova. I hope the puberty monster doesn't ruin her career and she also gets some tasteful costumes, LOL. I also hope Karen Chen can stay injury free, b/c I think she could be the future of US Ladies.

jcsamex

Rinkside
I'll miss Yuna (tho I think she might be around by 2018), Mao, Carolina (best artistic skater of her generation), Chan, Takahashi, Abbott (even his drama), Plushenko (greatest competitor of all time), S/S, Pang & Tong, D/W, V/M, P/B.

These skaters will help me get through: Lipnistkaia (if she makes it though), Sotnikova, Radionova, Gold, Edmunds, Wagner.

There was a time when it was a Russia vs USA fight for the ladies' title and I think we'll have a quad like that again after all these years.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Kanako please don't retire:cry:

I'm crying with you. :cry::cry::cry: I will miss her even more because I don't enjoy Miyahara that much and will probably always think that Kanako would have done better. Oh, I can't believe it'll all be over soon. There will be a big void.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wouldnt be surprised if Kanako changes her mind. She would have opportunity to be Japanese #1 unless exquisite Mao decides to carry on after (likely) not winning the OGM again.

RobinA

On the Ice
The only person I will miss is Takahashi. OK, and Chan for his fabulous blade control. This is probably my least favorite time of figure skating fandom since I first became a figure skating fan. I keep telling myself it will pass and better days are ahead, but with this scoring system I'm not as hopeful as I wish I could be.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Those of your who have "lost" your favourite skater, have you found some one new after? Has it felt the same?
I'm super sad right now because my favourite skater who I've been rooting for years retires.

After Sasha retired in 2006, it took until 2009/2010 to find skaters I really felt tied to and to root for (Meryl and Charlie) but it took until late last season/early this season to find a new favorite that made me nauseous with anxiety when he took to the ice, much like Sasha did (Jason obviously). So 3 years for a new team to root for, 7 years for a new favorite?

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont understand why Kanako wants to retire, she has competed in seniors for 4 seasons, I had seen the Junior Worlds where her and Hanyu had won.