And The 2014 Olympic team is... Gracie, Ashley and Polina | Golden Skate

And The 2014 Olympic team is... Gracie, Ashley and Polina

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Is this Final ?
link source* pls

Poor Mirai must be devastated :disapp:
I wouldn't be surprised if Mirai lose interest because of this and retire next season

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably the best team in the end but Wagner should count her lucky stars. I'm glad they didn't leave Polina off the team too.

Krislite

Medalist
Not surprised. Mirai shot herself in the foot one too many times in the last four years.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Poor Mirai. I can see what they were thinking, but it was handed poorly with not enough transparency. I suspect someone already told Ashley that she was on no matter what. She sat there smirking the whole time yesterday, watching people land the triples she couldn't. I'm beginning to get sick of her.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Miraiiii :bang::bang::bang::cry::cry: This reminds me a lot of the Nakano vs Ando 2010 situation (even if Polina's situation is questionable, as I already said I would have chosen Gracie, Ashley and Mirai as the team)...
And, "smirking" is only Ashley's way of hiding a huge disappointment I think... wasn't she crying as a desperate on the kiss and kry? She just didn't want to have a reaction like the 2010 one...

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
I hope that they'll do that soon. I don't even want to *think* about what is in Mirai's head right now....and I hope that she goes to Worlds. Small consolation though......

mice

On the Ice
I am devastated for Mirai.
The USFSA gave criteria lists for their selection, the GP being the top criteria. Mirai medalled on the GP this year yet they choose Polina, who has skated one standout comp and never competed as a senior internationally. Seems like they followed their criterria to choose the pairs team (by omitting c/d) but didn't for the ladies.
One of the journalists asked the president of the USFA who broke the news to Mirai and she said she didnt know. Yeah right. What a cop out. She's head of the whole organisation.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Poor Mirai. I can see what they were thinking, but it was handed poorly with not enough transparency. I suspect someone already told Ashley that she was on no matter what. She sat there smirking the whole time yesterday, watching people land the triples she couldn't. I'm beginning to get sick of her.

I have to disagree. I saw someone who was trying to be gracious and keep it together by smiling through the others' performances, but her eyes looked heartbroken to me. She was clearly devastated (and crying) on the ice and the Kiss and Cry after her performance, and she kept saying "I'm sorry". In the press conference on IN she just said she was "shocked". Obviously this is a controversial decision and I don't know if I agree with it or not, but it's not Ashley's fault.

Kirk

Rinkside
Excuses for Mirai being dropped: No coach No politiking.
No kidding. She had had that for 3 years since Vancouver and prior to that as the youngest Nats champ with Caroll on her side. This is a perfectly fine decision.

louisa05

Final Flight
Miraiiii :bang::bang::bang::cry::cry: This reminds me a lot of the Nakano vs Ando 2010 situation (even if Polina's situation is questionable, as I already said I would have chosen Gracie, Ashley and Mirai as the team)...
And, "smirking" is only Ashley's way of hiding a huge disappointment I think... wasn't she crying as a desperate on the kiss and kry? She just didn't want to have a reaction like the 2010 one...

I didn't interpret her expression as smirking at all. It was a valiant attempt to smile at other people's success and not appear unkind or too upset on camera. She was clearly devastated and embarrassed. I don't think anyone has a right to judge her when she had to hold herself together in front of cameras while watching her dream possibly slip away.

I also think that the team should be Gracie, Ashley and Mirai. Polina is young and inexperienced. And I am torn about the world team. If the compromise is to not send Ashley there, Gracie better medal to ensure that we can keep three spots next year.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As unfair as it is to Mirai, in all honesty this is the best team, logically speaking.

Like Japanese nationals where Takahashi making the team over Kozuka was a likelihood given his past two seasons, it's naive to think Wagner wouldn't have made the team over Mirai.

Congrats to three ladies!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I also feel bad for Mirai. Had she rotated her first jump and finished her program on time she would be on the Olympic team.