And The 2014 Olympic team is... Gracie, Ashley and Polina | Page 2 | Golden Skate

And The 2014 Olympic team is... Gracie, Ashley and Polina

Matilda

Medalist
I'm very happy for Ashley--she has really proven herself in the past couple of years. I would have chosen Mirai over Polina, but I'm not surprised they chose Polina instead, considering Mirai's inconsistency in recent years.

Poor Mirai. I can see what they were thinking, but it was handed poorly with not enough transparency. I suspect someone already told Ashley that she was on no matter what. She sat there smirking the whole time yesterday, watching people land the triples she couldn't. I'm beginning to get sick of her.

This obviously isn't Wagner's fault. But the way this has been handled was very ugly and I'll be watching Wagner's performances with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Just when I thought USFS couldn't be any less professional, we get this sad mess...

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
Gracie- National Champ....in the hunt for an individual medal
Polina- the little prodigy, and the future. Gains valuable experience
Ashley- the veteran, responsible for 3 ladies, the resume, the face of USA ladies skating, and a shot at the team medal
Mirai- too little too late.

Npmonice

Rinkside
Gracie- National Champ....in the hunt for an individual medal
Polina- the little prodigy, and the future. Gains valuable experience
Ashley- the veteran, responsible for 3 ladies, the resume, the face of USA ladies skating, and a shot at the team medal
Mirai- too little too late.

I agree :)

burntBREAD

Medalist
I actually think Mirai already knew ahead of time that this was going to happen. She was in tears during the entire medal ceremony (not happy tears, either) and discussed her hope that she could be chosen for the Olympics in the press conference immediately without any sort of prompt.

I hope she takes this Nationals resurgence and builds into something even better -- I hope she doesn't quit!

I think there is a bigger issue than who goes to Sochi. Once you appoint a committee, that committee's number one job is to increase its own power. The USFSA has deliberately downgraded its own premier event, U.S. Nationals.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
This obviously isn't Wagner's fault. But the way this has been handled was very ugly and I'll be watching Wagner's performances with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Just when I thought USFS couldn't be any less professional, we get this sad mess...

And will you be watching Takahashi's performance with that same bitter taste? Or are your taste buds selective?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not surprised with this decision and according to the rules I can see how they came to it just like the Japanese Federation with Dai - I will have to find out about the pairs. I will say this I know I think differently and we all have our perspectives and some of the stuff we say is more from our heart than rational deduction. My heart of heart feels for Mirai. An argument could be made for her over Polina. And at the same time my bias or heart feelign is I am not a huge fan of flukey skates or up and down skaters - Mirai hasn't done a lot since 2010 despite being the touted queen - mind you her body has changed. At times she appeared disinterested. Still I do fear that Ashley gets this huge break and now even changes her freeskate - and in the case ie of kostner you can manipulate the situation if your Federationis behind you ie not compete ant certain events etc all in the goal of winning especially olympics. The problem, and it is with life, we allhave different interests and goals and they conflict - everyone wants on the oly team and an oly medal but there are only so many spots and medals. These skaters give their hearts and lives but they need to hopefully remember they are the premium top notch skaters regardless of olys or not and should be applauded. Not much of a consolation especially if the person who made the team gets a medal, the power, the fame the money and perhaps a secured future financially. But such is life it is about manipulating things and taking those breaks:)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'm very happy for Ashley--she has really proven herself in the past couple of years. I would have chosen Mirai over Polina, but I'm not surprised they chose Polina instead, considering Mirai's inconsistency in recent years.

Polina is young USFS is probably looking for a young promising skater to get an Olympics experience
plus Polina is half Russian in heritage so she'll gain media attention in Sochi

alex2155

Spectator
I think someone told Ashley was going to be on the team no matter what as well. She was upset right after her program, but didn't seem too concerned watching Mirai, Polina, and Gracie land all their jumps and place above her.
I so wish Mirai was on the team! She's my favorite, but I see why they couldn't really give Ashley the 2nd place persons spot. It maybe more sense to give her the 3rd place persons spot.
Too bad Mirai didn't get end up in second, which I actually think she should have. I think Polina looks good and has potential but I don't think she is there yet, she skates to immaturely right now.
Glad Ashley made the team though, she does deserve it based on her results from the past few years.

wolfpacker

Rinkside
How will Wagner handle this pressure though? She cracked under pressure of making team, and now with added pressure of being named over someone else? Expectations are high and the pressure enormous!

Barb

Record Breaker
Finally a intelligent decision of the USFS, if Mirai is really interesed in figure skating she should to continue, OG are not the end of the world, she was 4th at Vancouver and she is only 20yo.

AlexaD

Rinkside
I think someone told Ashley was going to be on the team no matter what as well. She was upset right after her program, but didn't seem too concerned watching Mirai, Polina, and Gracie land all their jumps and place above her.
I so wish Mirai was on the team! She's my favorite, but I see why they couldn't really give Ashley the 2nd place persons spot. It maybe more sense to give her the 3rd place persons spot.
Too bad Mirai didn't get end up in second, which I actually think she should have. I think Polina looks good and has potential but I don't think she is there yet, she skates to immaturely right now.

Agree with everything.

I think someone approached Ashley and let her in on the fact that she wasn't going to be left off the team. I am very sad for Mirai. Wish she would have come in second. Then it would have been harder to justify taking Polina.

Gigi13

On the Ice
As unfair as it is to Mirai, in all honesty this is the best team, logically speaking.

Like Japanese nationals where Takahashi making the team over Kozuka was a likelihood given his past two seasons, it's naive to think Wagner wouldn't have made the team over Mirai.

Congrats to three ladies!

Agreed. I'm devastated for Mirai but I'm happy Ashley get to go but I understand and respect their decision I hope that Mirai doesn't stop skating and gets a chance to go to Worlds, I understand why they would pick Polina over her because Mirai has been inconsistent the last four years. Overall, congrats to the ladies!

Barb

Record Breaker
Mirai will continue but she will be skating for Japan I believe.

It would be great, mainly because are not very good newer skaters in Japan, she should to go to study to Chukiyo university, they have their own rink and she could to be getting spponsors too, she is very charismatic.