Angelina Kuchvalska | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Angelina Kuchvalska

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Angelina finishes a strong #4 at Euros. :hap36: Is she the best hope to break up another Russian sweep next year?
Very possible. Especially if she keeps getting performances like this more internationally and judges won't hold her on PCS :)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Just watched Angelina's FP. :yahoo:
She's absolutely amazing, a fabulous jumper and a good interpreter. With better material than El Tango de Juliette, the sky is the limit!
Oh, and her coach is so sweet!

Perdita

Final Flight
I liked her at Nepera and TEB but now I really am a fan of her! She totally won my heart last night. Amazing! :hap93:
I'm excited see her at the World, and of course next season with better programmes... (but I kinda like this El Tango de Juliette now... it actually well showcases Angelina's performance ability imo.)

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I was looking for very long time to find any favourite female skater, and finally I found. Hoping to see her on the podium next season. She is definitely capable of that :agree:

paulusfr

On the Ice
I really hope she will able to make top 10 at the Worlds, she deserves it ;) And I want to see Diana in the next year there as well :rolleye:

senatormls

On the Ice
I am sooooooo glad you started this thread! She was poised and elegant at Euros. She can interpret music so well and has real posture! I can't believe that Anna and her 2 splats outscored Angelina! TSL folks were more obsessed with another 'L' country.. Fleur Maxwell of Luxembourg! And they said nothing of Angelina.

Last edited by a moderator:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am sooooooo glad you started this thread! She was poised and elegant at Euros. She can interpret music so well and has real posture! I can't believe that Anna and her 2 splats outscored Angelina! TSL folks were more obsessed with another 'L' country.. Fleur Maxwell of Luxembourg! And they said nothing of Angelina.

The opinions of TSL are so narrow-minded and biased that I could not care less what they think. If they can't recognize talent, their loss.

However, your rude comment about Anna is completely out of line in the Fan Forum and quite unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I've just had the chance to watch her free skate and I was like "wow, was she always skating like this?" :shocked: I remember enjoying her skating but that was something special! Now I am a fan:love:

I wanted to see what she did last year and I came into the fact that she skated to the same music last season. But wow, what a difference one year can make!! She has made huge progress!! PCS rises from 48 to 58 in one year and it's totally deserved.

Congratulations to Angelina, her coach and everyone behind this success! Go keep performing like that my lady:love:

senatormls

On the Ice
The opinions of TSL are so narrow-minded and biased that I could not care less what they think. If they can't recognize talent, their loss.

However, your rude comment about Anna is completely out of line in the Fan Forum and quite unnecessary.

I do apologize for the Anna P. nickname ( which was removed). But I do worry about her health ( they were some nasty falls). Thanks fo rthe thumbs up about TSL. Their wrap -up was a bit biased this time and Dave was a little more than excited about things. But back to Angelina, I wish her continued success. Her coach's reaction was just sweet and precious.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I have a doubt: throughout the interview the host called her /anɡelina/, whereas she pronounced her name as /and͡ʒelina/ here.
According to this, it's /anɡelina/.
So, please, Latvian speakers, which one is correct? After all, if I root for someone, I better get their names right. ;)
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I have a doubt: throughout the interview the host called her /anɡelina/, whereas she pronounced her name as /and͡ʒelina/ here.
According to this, it's /anɡelina/.
So, please, Latvian speakers, which one is correct? After all, if I root for someone, I better get their names right. ;)
Thank you in advance.

In this case, I would say that native pronunciation of Angelīna would be a hard G, as in gap or gift. As her name is written in Latvian, that is correct.

Angelīna written in Russian is: Ангелина Кучвальская -- 'г' represents a hard G sound.

When you translate Ангелина to English, it becomes 'Angelina' with a soft G sound, like gym or gentle.

The tricky part is, to maintain relatively accurate native pronunciation of the English-sounding Angelina, it would be Анджелина (Andzhelina). You won't see that very often, unless someone is talking about Angelina Jolie in Russian, maybe.

Since she spoke English in her interview above, I think she used the 'English-friendly' version of the Angelina name.

That said, as an international athlete I'm sure she would respond equally to either pronunciations.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
wow thx a lot sf!!:yahoo:

clumsy translation:yay:

She says that the goal was to skate clean, her coach - that they made the prog more difficult (fisrt time incl 2 3-3 combos & moving into the 2nd part of the prog)
- U changed the progs & the costumes so where's Carmen (dress)?
A - Hanging in the closet :biggrin:
- Is the outfit important?
A - yep. If the dress is in dissonance with the prog u can get your PCS lower
- really nice music choice u have. Do you chose the music yourself or someone helps?
Platonova - There are companies that offer the music combos already (esp in the US) wen you order a certain period of time & they do the composition so we bought R&J & Moulin R. The idea is the contrast of good/evil, passion/gentleness, Good combo of fast & slow part, very passionate stsq
- Who choses?
P - I offer & Angel decides what fits her
- Was it possible to beat Rus girls?
A- A complete splatfest of one of them
P -We have some work to do with the 2nd mark. The judges know better
- some years ago I read that A. trains only 8 hours a week training Something changed???
P - Only a bit. About 10 hours. Maybe even phisically she cant manage more it b/c pf other types of training like Phisical training & choreo
- What improvement is needed re: 2nd mark?
P - SS
- Do you keep in touch with the other gals?
A - Yep, we're very friendly no matter that we all represent diff countries now we keep in touch. In Bratislava we always spent time together esp with Rus gals
- Now after ur 4th place you started to communicate less (laugh)
A - On the contrary, more.
- In tennis the relations betw woman are not always friendly Happy to know in FS its different. May it continue. Next is JWorlds. DO you see it as a preparation for Senior WC?
P - yes we plan to. But the diff is that juniour LP is 30 sec less than senior so we'll have to squeeze it a bit = thus less time to prerare for jumps.
- How do you think Angel will be judged @ JWC? More strict or not?
P - She's more well known to the judges now & the rarting points allow us to hope for 2 last warm groups thus count on better PCS .
- Did you have avalanche of sms & other congrats after the FS?
A - yep. Even from strangers.
- How do u think the Latvian FS progresses with Deniss 12 place here & Angel? Are there competitive 12-14 yr olds?
P - yes its only the beginning. A's example shows that we have a lot of prospects, new coaches that can rival Rus & US ones, we now see 10-15 yr old girls on the intl scene.
- A. trains here & not like many other sportsmen from smaller Feds who train somewhere in EU how's that?
P - A coach should be like mom, everyday watching after the sportsman, following him/her, watching for injuries etc. In foreign country there wont be close watch, load of training, examples when someone trains in US/Can & breaks of too much pressure. Some ppl attended workshiop in Russia but they had injuries b/c our sportsmen cant yet keep up with training requirements in Russia.
- What was ur parents reaction re: Euros?
A- Called me 1st. Never goes to comps with me & if she did she wouldnt be able to watch me live b/c I have discomfort when she does.
- How u manage to combine learning & skating
A- I had hard time learning by myself but now when there are vids its better.
- We all know specifics of training gals, puberty, love problems...
P - Its my 1st experience & I always thought she's so slim & pubety wont hit her hard, she began to grow rapidly last summer & everyday there was somethng new, every jump feels different I almost had breakdowns but after half a year everything settled & we both calmed down & the last 2 months we working stably & the result is here.
- what about student/teacher conflicts?
A - yeah we have them when I thnk Im in the right & Im not P - she keeps doing jumps her way but then realises Im right & gives in
- TAT gave a lot of praise to Deniss & Angel, did you manage to talk to her?
P - No she was always up commentating Only at the end she came up & thanked for all the work we did b/c she probs realises that its harder to ge such results for sportsmen from smaller countries
- During your Ex TAT said that the rival for Rus girls is Angelina. What changed in your life now that you're close to the top?
A - No nothing big, I still talk w/my friends, study etc.
- Whats up with the financing. Is it easier rn?
P - yes. Its hard to be fully gov financed, ice time is expensive. It would be easier if there's a school with 7-10 sportsmen of the same level skating. Hard to ask for $$$ just for A. icetime. She has to skate in a group also.
- Is it hard when there's no сompetition betw the champ & #2-3
A - There's also Diana Nikitina
- There will be even bigegr competition @ the WC with Japanese, US girls. How A's chances?
P - She looks competitive. There are diff # of slots each country has. Canada has only 1 but they have 2 competitive girls.
- Do you have to change progs every year?
A - It depends. if its not fully expressed it can stay, Younger girls can skate for 2 years.
- Does it affect the judges?
P -No. Maybe the more famous ones. Fans are watching anticipating smth new .
- The clapping in Bratislava affected u, Were u pleased?
A - in FS I wasnt nerous & was v pleased esp w/standing O & I was closing the comp. Was a bit nervous but overcame.
- Do u have many things thrown at you after?
A - I have about 10 toys. Sometimes its impossible to carry all so u cose (like last year in China)

Last edited: