Ankle slant and boot fit issues (Jackson skates) | Golden Skate

Ankle slant and boot fit issues (Jackson skates)

aixre

Spectator
I'm an adult skater around A6/pre-free and just got my first pair of new, heat-molded fitted skates, Jackson Freestyles. I had been previously skating in Jackson Marquis, bought on eBay from someone who'd gotten them in 2009 and never used them. They fit very comfortably but I had some heel slipping, and my coach recommended Freestyles as I start jumping. However, I've started breaking the Freestyles in and have found them very uncomfortable. In addition to adjusting to the (very different) blade, my feet hurt-toes cramped, arch feels like it's in the wrong place, heel still slips on bunny hops. While they seem to fit when I lace them (knocking the back of the blade on the floor and all that), I think my foot ends up "settling" too far forward when I skate. In comparing the boot shape with my old skates, the ankle is slanted further forward, and I think that's keeping my heel from staying in the right place, as it's forced forward when I straighten my ankle. Additionally, I have similar issues (which haven't gone away) with the used-from-ebay Premieres I got for my pic inlines during quarantine, but I assumed it was just because they were broken in to someone else's foot.

A link to my tumblr post with photos-
nottheiceprince.tumblr.com/post/629796452730912768

Is this a thing? I searched around and couldn't find any discussion comparing skate models/brands by ankle slant. Should I keep trying to break in the Freestyles or try other brands?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm an adult skater around A6/pre-free and just got my first pair of new, heat-molded fitted skates, Jackson Freestyles. I had been previously skating in Jackson Marquis, bought on eBay from someone who'd gotten them in 2009 and never used them. They fit very comfortably but I had some heel slipping, and my coach recommended Freestyles as I start jumping. However, I've started breaking the Freestyles in and have found them very uncomfortable. In addition to adjusting to the (very different) blade, my feet hurt-toes cramped, arch feels like it's in the wrong place, heel still slips on bunny hops. While they seem to fit when I lace them (knocking the back of the blade on the floor and all that), I think my foot ends up "settling" too far forward when I skate. In comparing the boot shape with my old skates, the ankle is slanted further forward, and I think that's keeping my heel from staying in the right place, as it's forced forward when I straighten my ankle. Additionally, I have similar issues (which haven't gone away) with the used-from-ebay Premieres I got for my pic inlines during quarantine, but I assumed it was just because they were broken in to someone else's foot.

A link to my tumblr post with photos-
nottheiceprince.tumblr.com/post/629796452730912768

Is this a thing? I searched around and couldn't find any discussion comparing skate models/brands by ankle slant. Should I keep trying to break in the Freestyles or try other brands?
First of all, did you get professionally fit for these boots or are you just buying them off of ebay?

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
My son, a competitive ice dancer, had a cadaver transplant on his left ankle when he was 15 (12 years ago) He returned to the ice a year later in Jackson’s and they were perfect for him and the Jackson Reps helped him quite a bit
He switched to another brand a few years ago but Jackson’s were instrumental in getting him back on the ice. Talk to your representative

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Stupid question but did the skate tech measure your feet or just ask you what size your other skates were? They sure sound like they're too big.

The difference between the blades is because the Ultima Aspire blade has a 8 foot rocker, so it's flatter than the MK 21 blades with the 7 foot rocker, and the MK profile is just rounder.

Crystal Rainbows

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I also just got the Fusion series and was having the same difficulty. I took them to my old tech and found out that I was lacing them all wrong.
Plus he said I should be wearing them around the house and getting used to the different fit while working them in more. Minimum break-in time he figures is about 8hr skate time. Also recommends 2-3 times in the heat mold and getting a pro to punch out the sore spots. He also said the insoles are not the greatest and said I could change them out...I haven't done this yet, but I am thinking about it.

Try the following, see if it works and let me know! I am still adjusting to mine as well and having a love-hate affair with them. So far all I can do are shaky edges and cross-overs and a two-foot spin. Mind you I've not spent that much ice-time...about 8hrs just wearing them around the house while watching skate videos⛸️🛼💃🕺 errr I mean doing my dissertation research/writing. 🤓 📖📚. and 1-2hrs on the ice

1. re-lace them with the laces thread from the outside to the inside (watch the Edea how to tie figure skates videos)
2. loosen them all the way to the 2-3 hole from the toe & step into the skate on a flat surface
3. pull the tongue straigh up and towards you before snuggling it up to your foot/shin then tap to get the heel in place
4. tighten the laces at EVERY hole-set (he says you are placing the foot in the boot - setting it up at the toe so it will not slide forward so it should be firm at the toe box not tight/loose adjust tongue if needed as you go
5. when you reach the instep/ankle area lace tightly as possible (note I could barely tighten them the first few times, now they are getting easier (I also found skipping the eyelet is helping me work them in faster)
6. when you get to the hooks be sure to check your heel and don't let your shins push forward, lace first hook tightly (I'm actually going around this hook twice) then medium firm and lightly firm the last 2 hooks. Don't wrap the laces around the boot - go back down the hooks if you need to use up laces
7. Buy a set of 'locking' laces - the laces that come standard in the Jackson loosen up easily. I got into DerbyLaces over the summer (I also do artistic roller skating) and love their SPARK line because they have some grip - once you tighten them they stay.

I have had to repeat this a few times (like every 25-45min). Even if I am just sitting working at my desk and then getting up to make tea, etc I need to continually re-tighten the laces. Every time I get up from my desk I do a few spirals and one-foot stationary glides 3-turns, deep knee bends etc to work them in more (of course I have guards on!). Then I usually tighten them again. After doing this off & on for about 10 days I find I am getting used to the way they feel and I can do 3 turns, cross steps, swings, twizzles, etc on my kitchen floor but my ice visits haven't been as successful. Planning to go again tomorrow so let's see what happens!

Hope that helps out, let me know how you're faring.