Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee?

russianbratz

Match Penalty
7. Start orders are usually available somewhere on the concourse before the competition--look for lots of people crowding around a table & walking away with white papers in their hands. Arenas also usually run out so get your starting order early or just print it off online in your hotel & bring it with you. Also--if you can get your hands on a media guide, they're awesome. Rare. But more details! It's worth asking.

I remember at Skate America you had to buy the start orders :mad:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I remember at Skate America you had to buy the start orders :mad:

Yikes. Just curious: how much did a hard copy of the start orders cost?

And sorry to digress, but I was surprised to see on a page re volunteers for Glacier Falls that one of their duties is to sell protocols to skaters after the results are posted.
I wonder how much the Glacier Falls protocols cost too. The entry fee is at least $125, but does not include a copy of the skater's protocol??

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yikes. Just curious: how much did a hard copy of the start orders cost?

And sorry to digress, but I was surprised to see on a page re volunteers for Glacier Falls that one of their duties is to sell protocols to skaters after the results are posted.
I wonder how much the Glacier Falls protocols cost too. The entry fee is at least $125, but does not include a copy of the skater's protocol??

What? Buying protocols?

Of course, the easier thing to do then is to wait until the protocols go up on the event website and just print them yourself, but yikes!

Lipea

Final Flight
So, after 30+ years of being a total skating fanatic, I'm finally taking the plunge and going to World's in Boston next year. I'm so beyond excited I can't put it into words!! I have little idea of what to expect on practical levels, given figure skating isn't a huge sport here in Ireland, and would love any advice any of you good people could offer, be it what temperature conditions are like at an arena and therefore what to wear etc and what catering tends to be like at these places.

I am totally in the same boat with you, and it is so hard to hold the excitement!!!
Going to buy tickets as soon as they will be out :cheer:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am totally in the same boat with you, and it is so hard to hold the excitement!!!

The all-event tickets are already on sale :)

I can hardly wait! I was thinking I might wait for the single-event tickets, but heck, if I'm going to the other side of the world to see it, I will see all of it!

Layback11

Record Breaker

OMG, this is making me wish it was a sure thing that I was going...sadly, it's not. It's been relegated to "distant possibility" status (because I'm going to SA).

winky97

Medalist
OMG, this is making me wish it was a sure thing that I was going...sadly, it's not. It's been relegated to "distant possibility" status (because I'm going to SA).

I am going to SA and Worlds. It's only possible because I can drive to SA. I am kicking myself a little because I cheated out at SA and got a balcony seat, but now I worry about the view. Have a fairly low row, 5, so I hope it's ok.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oooooh excellent. I'll get a full day in Boston before the competition starts.

Also, the men's LP on April Fools Day. *cringe*

Excited for you to be taking such a big trip, karne :). And excited for others who have bought Worlds tix.

Looking on the bright side ;), I hope the April Fools thing :hopelessness: will keep the men in good humor before they take the ice to compete :popcorn:.

What? Buying protocols?

Of course, the easier thing to do then is to wait until the protocols go up on the event website and just print them yourself, but yikes!

Maybe easier, but could require a lot of patience. Last year, it took many weeks before Glacier Falls put the protocol links on its website. (I had been checking there periodically, and my first sighting was at the beginning of Oct.)
(Disclaimer: I can't rule out the possibility that iceskatingintnl had posted the protocols earlier without the GF site linking to them.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always bring my laptop and a small printer to every competition. Start orders are almost always available online the day before the competition, and the protocols immediately after (at least for ISU and Nationals), so I'm not paying for either.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I always bring my laptop and a small printer to every competition. Start orders are almost always available online the day before the competition, and the protocols immediately after (at least for ISU and Nationals), so I'm not paying for either.

Sorry to go even further off topic -- but would you mind saying what brand/model of small printer you have, chuckm?
Years ago, I used to travel with one (not to skating events), but it was not as small as I would have liked.

Anyway, selling protocols to Glacier Falls competitors themselves is what strikes me as really egregious. [Selling them to spectators wouldn't seem quite as bad, IMO.]
The Results table at Glacier Falls needs two volunteers who "will sell protocols to skaters after the results have been posted." For four sessions per day, for four days of competition.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Lipea and Karne:

That's my thinking too! I'll be there from Sunday so looking forward to two and a half days to find my feet and explore a bit before the skating starts. Looking forward to a few of the practice sessions too, will be nice to see some skating before the formalities of competition starts. And of course I'm compiling a list of decent looking bars and restaurants in the area. Staying within a kilometre of the arena at the Wyndham so that will be handy.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Staying within a kilometre of the arena at the Wyndham so that will be handy.

I'm at the Wyndham too! My only concern looking at the walking route is that it goes through a park and a hospital, and it will be really late by the time it's finished.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm at the Wyndham too! My only concern looking at the walking route is that it goes through a park and a hospital, and it will be really late by the time it's finished.

Nah...you'll be able to walk down Staniford St for a short hike and then go right at Cambridge. However you'll be able to shorten that walk if you just check into the mental hospital that's pretty much right across the street from the Garden.

I've never been there myself but a family member went there for playoff hockey and they stayed at the Wyndham and I helped them map out the area. They loved it:)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nah...you'll be able to walk down Staniford St for a short hike and then go right at Cambridge. However you'll be able to shorten that walk if you just check into the mental hospital that's pretty much right across the street from the Garden.

I've never been there myself but a family member went there for playoff hockey and they stayed at the Wyndham and I helped them map out the area. They loved it:)

Thanks for the info, Sam :) Good to know. Google Maps says about 10 minutes walk which I'm totally okay with.

I'm so excited!

charmblade

Final Flight
The West End area is generally pretty safe I think. Since you'll be there a little early you'll get to wander around in the daytime and find a route that you feel comfortable with. When I first moved to Boston I found it intimidating and was a little spooked to walk around at night in theory but in practice I feel pretty safe. I had to walk back to my car from the Garden late each night at Nationals and was totally fine with it.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Also, there will be other fans probably walking back to your hotel at the same time which will be more reassuring.

lyverbird1

Final Flight

Yay! Say hello when you arrive. Myself and my friend will be there from Sunday evening. Looking forward to checking out the local area before the main event. I've been excited enough to check out the walking route on Google Maps and it looks okay, sticking to the main roads and I have a couple of locals telling me the area is okay. I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting a few of the skating fans from the boards here. I think discussion in person could be easier than in print at times!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yay! Say hello when you arrive. Myself and my friend will be there from Sunday evening. Looking forward to checking out the local area before the main event. I've been excited enough to check out the walking route on Google Maps and it looks okay, sticking to the main roads and I have a couple of locals telling me the area is okay. I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting a few of the skating fans from the boards here. I think discussion in person could be easier than in print at times!

I certainly will! I won't be arriving until Tuesday evening - cramming a few days in New York in. But given the events don't start until midday, I think I will squeeze in my sightseeing in the mornings! :)

winky97

Medalist

I am at the Wyndam too. Maybe we can try get a little group together for the walks back after the event or a pub crawl after the event. Anyway, my friends could not go and I did not want to miss the opportunity to see Worlds when it is this close so I will be a lone wolf. Would not mind meeting some people so I don't have to be alone so much.

This is my first Worlds experience. Can't decide if I should go for exhibition as well. What do u guys think? I got the balcony all event because some of the other options where to rich for my blood so I can use some of the savings for an exhibition ticket assuming it's worth while to go.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am at the Wyndam too. Maybe we can try get a little group together for the walks back after the event or a pub crawl after the event. Anyway, my friends could not go and I did not want to miss the opportunity to see Worlds when it is this close so I will be a lone wolf. Would not mind meeting some people so I don't have to be alone so much.

This is my first Worlds experience. Can't decide if I should go for exhibition as well. What do u guys think? I got the balcony all event because some of the other options where to rich for my blood so I can use some of the savings for an exhibition ticket assuming it's worth while to go.

I'm feeling a lot easier about the walk back now that I know so many are going to be at the same hotel. :)

I absolutely think you should go to the ex! It will be the most fun part of the whole event. The only thing is that those tickets are going to sell like crazy I would think, so be ready when they announce the date they go on sale. :)