Who's going? Any good Vancouver tips? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who's going? Any good Vancouver tips?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll be there! I will be seating in section 108, row 4, seat 14 if anyone wants to come and say hi :biggrin:

firal

Record Breaker
Yes to calling for cabs, but please don't wait for one to come by...you will find none!

UBC is pretty much the end stop for many bus routes in the city, however depending on which route you take, there will be several stops inside the university itself. The end stop is usually not the closest one to the rink. Also keep in mind that many routes the latest bus is just after 10:00pm; looking at the schedule Saturday we do go a little later into the evening, so may be a good idea to look into other routes that will still be operating at the time.

Also there is a Thunderbird Stadium vs Thunderbird Sports Centre...I kept looking at the wrong one until a few days ago :palmf: They are close by but of course not the same venue, we are at Thunderbird Sports Centre!

melgirl25

Medalist
What are some must haves to bring to a skating competition?

Seat cushion? Phone/Camera?

Dressing in layers

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am section 101 row 5. I think I am right next to K&C!

You are! I'm in Row 12. Good location.

Adding -- I'm staying at West Coast Suites, close to the arena. Does anyone know -- is Fly Over Canada close by? Or is there public transportation to go there?

melgirl25

Medalist
You are! I'm in Row 12. Good location.

Adding -- I'm staying at West Coast Suites, close to the arena. Does anyone know -- is Fly Over Canada close by? Or is there public transportation to go there?

That is why my ticket was so expensive :laugh:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What are some must haves to bring to a skating competition?

Seat cushion? Phone/Camera?

Dressing in layers

Dressing in layers is a good idea and depends where you are sitting. Closer to the rink is colder than if you are seated further away. Bring multiple chargers for your phone if you are planning to be there all day and taking video or pictures. Although this competition will be shorter with only 6 entries for each discipline, still bring a charger.

A seat cushion is helpful if seats are hard - I also bring my own snacks and bottled water in case the arena food is crappy. Some venues will search your bags for food so you may need to be sneaky, lol.

If you want skating autographs, bring a sharpie and something for them to sign in case you run into them!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
So I'm currently packing, and it occurred to me, does anyone know if this arena frowns upon bags over a certain size? I usually bring a cloth tote about 13 by 15 inches (33 by 38 centimeters) for a few things like water and chargers, and it hasn't been an issue before but, you know, I'm a worrier.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey all, the slack channel is up and running. not a ton of activity yet, but i expect we'll see things pick up once people arrive.

melgirl25

Medalist
Hey all, the slack channel is up and running. not a ton of activity yet, but i expect we'll see things pick up once people arrive.

What is the best time to arrive on Saturday. Is there any benefit to getting there earlier than 1 pm.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What is the best time to arrive on Saturday. Is there any benefit to getting there earlier than 1 pm.

Do you have an all event pass? Might be good to come earlier if you want to catch practices.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't. Just a ticket to the event at 1:55.

Sometimes it might be good to come early to meet up with folks or there might be events to check out before the completion starts.

But otherwise your probably good to come around 1.

melgirl25

Medalist
Sometimes it might be good to come early to meet up with folks or there might be events to check out before the completion starts.

But otherwise your probably good to come around 1.

I am wondering if the Edea boot company will have a pop up shop.