Who's going? Any good Vancouver tips? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who's going? Any good Vancouver tips?

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I'll be there! I honestly had to take a complete break from watching the grand prix last week and this week, I was stressing way too much about placements so that I could hope to see my faves live. But now that all is said and done, I'm much happier about the qualifiers in general, and happy to go to the GPF again.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'll be there! Excited to road trip from Washington to Vancouver, will be only my 2nd time in Canada!

Dont forget, I would like a pic of you, Rika, Kaori and Satoko with nguyhm and Mrs. P on either side....!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will be there. Just finalized the arrangements for my all-event pass today. Really looking forward to it.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Dont forget, I would like a pic of you, Rika, Kaori and Satoko with nguyhm and Mrs. P on either side....!

That would be a dream! Let's make it happen :) I need tips on how to catch skaters for pictures!

nguyhm

On the Ice
That would be a dream! Let's make it happen :) I need tips on how to catch skaters for pictures!

Mrs. P to the rescue :) she has a way of catching skaters. Does anyone know where the "official" hotel is. That is usually the best place to run into skaters. Practice sessions are also good place/time for pictures and autographs.

Ulrica

On the Ice
Anyone knows how does the public transportation in Vancouver works? I've been researching but so far is confusing as heck :laugh:
Or would it be better to just use taxis?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Mrs. P is one sharp lady! I would stick near her...but at events in smaller arenas sometimes you can actually catch skaters easier, in the stands or in the concourse if there is one. Here is Satoko at Spokane's World Team Challage Cup, exercising. In General, I just smile at them if they are running or busy, but here, stretching, she graciously signed autographs and had selfies taken with her fans.....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey guys! Iā€™m behind adding people to slack but will do it today! Again PM if you want to connect.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Anyone knows how does the public transportation in Vancouver works? I've been researching but so far is confusing as heck :laugh:

I am with you.....I have to really research how a mass transit system works if I cant use Uber.....or taxis, but Taxis can be very expensive in some cities.
I would start here for bus service.
https://tripplanning.translink.ca/

If you go here:
https://www.translink.ca/Customer-Service/Customer-Service-Charter.aspx#Answering

it will tell you how to get a human being to help you even before you leave your home.
It looks like they are trying hard to give good customer service.
Answering your calls
TransLink Customer Information Centre is open Monday to Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m., and Saturdays and Sundays from 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. We aim that our information and customer service staff will answer 90% of phone calls within 60 seconds. All calls made to the Customer Information Centre may be recorded for training and quality assurance purposes.

If you need to speak to somebody outside office hours, please refer to the General Contact Information section on our website at: translink.ca/contactus.

Making and handling suggestions and complaints
We want to hear from you on how we are doing. We need your suggestions and complaints especially to help us do what we say in this charter. If you found our service helpful, or if you have a complaint about our service, we would like you to let us know. You can do this online, by phone or letter.

Online: translink.ca/feedback
Phone: 604.953.3333

jillredhand

Record Breaker

CoyoteChris's links are the way to go, you can get the exact a transit route planned for you by searching your starting/ending points. I like this video for another introduction/guide, although I personally would probably not bother with his tip to save $5 or so when using the skytrain and arriving from the airport.

I understand that relying on taxis, especially at the end of the night, will be a nightmare. Long waits for a cab, and it seems like Uber/Lyft are still not operating in Vancouver. I changed my accommodation plans because of that, to get an Airbnb that was on an easy, straight shot bus route to the arena.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
CoyoteChris's links are the way to go, you can get the exact a transit route planned for you by searching your starting/ending points. I like this video for another introduction/guide, although I personally would probably not bother with his tip to save $5 or so when using the skytrain and arriving from the airport.

I understand that relying on taxis, especially at the end of the night, will be a nightmare. Long waits for a cab, and it seems like Uber/Lyft are still not operating in Vancouver. I changed my accommodation plans because of that, to get an Airbnb that was on an easy, straight shot bus route to the arena.

I dont know how she did it, but a person I was with in London Ontario for Worlds was able to get a cab for us quickly and the cabs were very inexpensive there..she used her smart phone so maybe she put in a request in advance. One of the cool things about London Ontario is the days I took the bus, all the locals on the bus would get in on the act and help us outsiders know when and where to get off at. :)
I bet Vancouver has a bunch of people willing to help out a bunch of back woods guys like me.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am envious of everyone going to Vancouver. I visited in 2017 and loved the beautiful mountains surrounding the city. Good shopping on Robson St if anyone has the time or go to Stanley Park if it's not too cold.

I was surprised that they don't have uber or lyft in the city and also have crackdowned on Airbnb. It's an expensive place and that doesn't help the situation.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am envious of everyone going to Vancouver. I visited in 2017 and loved the beautiful mountains surrounding the city. Good shopping on Robson St if anyone has the time or go to Stanley Park if it's not too cold.

I was surprised that they don't have uber or lyft in the city and also have crackdowned on Airbnb. It's an expensive place and that doesn't help the situation.

The city is very interesting. It is a very diverse city made up of a bunch of different cultures....after visiting there, I had to look up the demographics. So many interesting people...It is the most expensive land in Canada. Construction is everywhere. The mountains are indeed beautiful. Interestingly, the traffic lights can do strange things in Canada and can mean different things in different cities....
https://www.tranbc.ca/2014/10/03/flashing-green-lights-and-what-they-mean/

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Mrs. P to the rescue :) she has a way of catching skaters. Does anyone know where the "official" hotel is. That is usually the best place to run into skaters. Practice sessions are also good place/time for pictures and autographs.

It's the Sheraton Wall Centre downtown.

Public transportation tip: I find it easiest to use Google Maps. Plug in your lodging address and the Thunderbird Sports Centre to get directions, and if you select the public transportation option, it will show you the exact bus number to take and the names of the bus stops.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I had this happen at the Mississauga Sk Can where I waited almost an hour and a half for a cab and it was well past midnight. Once the first round of cabs left, it was hard to get others to come, since none of them wanted to get in the traffic mess. Now I always get accommodations within walking distance or close to public transportation.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Based on my experience at Canadians, it's not that you'll wait for a long time outside Thunderbird for a cab, it's that you'll wait until doomsday for a cab. There were no cabs--literally! I implore you not to rely on cabs. Unless there has been some dramatic change in the situation you'll regret the decision.

cell

On the Ice
Based on my experience at Canadians, it's not that you'll wait for a long time outside Thunderbird for a cab, it's that you'll wait until doomsday for a cab. There were no cabs--literally! I implore you not to rely on cabs. Unless there has been some dramatic change in the situation you'll regret the decision.

What about taking a cab from the UBC hospital (nearby)? Also, what do you mean re "no cabs"... can't you call one?

Xena45

Rinkside
Thank you! This is excellent information. We are in a hotel downtown that appears to have several bus routes that go straight to the arena. We were planning to bus to the event and take a cab back at night, but now we won't. It's a short walk to the bus at UBC, right?

I'm also going to have two all-event tickets to sell, but I'm not sure which ones we're going to keep yet.