Any Sasha updates? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Any Sasha updates?

Medusa

Record Breaker
I was :eek: at Kevin VDP getting called for flutzing! I thought he had a great lutz - i'll have to check out the protocls for his events.
He got an "e" at Worlds 2008 in the short program, and I think there were other edge warnings. But it's really changing from competition to competition - maybe he just has a wobbly edge.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
It seems Cohen had something of a rough skate at the Disson event. Some reports are coming back in over at fsu. It seems she two-footed a triple but the choreo for her new SP seems 'promising' per one report.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It seems Cohen had something of a rough skate at the Disson event. Some reports are coming back in over at fsu. It seems she two-footed a triple but the choreo for her new SP seems 'promising' per one report.

I really like Sasha's SP music, and from what little I could see of it on youtube I think it is perfect for her. If she can get her jumps worked out this could be a very high scoring SP. JMO

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha had a problem with her 2A (skidded off the blade) as well. She may or may not achieve a high-scoring SP if she gets gigged for a flutz and double-footing.

TEB starts in just 25 days. If she's still having trouble with the 3T and the 2A, I wouldn't be surprised to see her withdraw.

MKFSfan

Medalist
So, I guess no attempt at a lutz or flip? Not surprising, but there was so much speculation, even Sasha said she may try one. Sounds like she had an off night jump wise.

R.D.

Record Breaker
TEB starts in just 25 days. If she's still having trouble with the 3T and the 2A, I wouldn't be surprised to see her withdraw.

Same here, but I have begun to get the impression from her teleconferences that she isn't a quitter, and will keep fighting to the end unless, say, injury prevents her from doing so.

Then again, what's the likelihood that an "injury"- heck, a real one at that- occurs in the next month or two? The jumps aren't just going to magically reappear. It's tough after being out 3 years. I actually EXPECT her to struggle a bit coming out of the gate (wouldn't be surprised if she does as well) but the thing for her is, hopefully things will be back in order in time for Olympic qualifiers. I still think she should have found a way to return last season if she was really serious.

P.S. Oh yeah- in case you haven't read the Le Cafe forum, this is the poster formally known as Red Dog, under a different name, or "pseud" as it was once known :biggrin:

I do hope Sasha toughs it out (and doesn't get injured!). What are her chances? Consider this: Call to mind Elaine Zayak's comeback in 1994, a good few years after she had retired not only from eligible competition but even from pro skating. That was the tangled-up year with just two Olympic spots open, Nancy Kerrigan given a bye for the famous injury, Tonya Harding disputing her removal from the team, and 13-year-old Michelle Kwan as the first alternate. Let's forget all the other drama for the moment. Zayak gave a wonderful performance, solid jumps and a lovely presentation, and at the age of 28 with about five years away from the ice, came in fourth, after Harding (now not recognized), Kwan, and Bobek. It was a moment not just of personal vindication but of laying to rest the idea that it is automatically impossible for someone to come back. Whether Sasha is one of the ones who can beat the odds is something only Sasha and the future can determine. But I for one think she has a good chance. And if she does succeed, what a wonderful asset she'll be to skating itself, not just the American team.

Jupitering

Spectator
Michelle had a pure lutz back in the day. After she left Frank it got more and more flutzy and by 2005 it was a flutz. Mao has been trying VERY hard to fix her flutz, with varying degrees of success. Her takeoff edge is being corrected, but she often gets skittish about the jump now and singles or pops it. Because she continued to get the edge calls when she rotated it fully Mao has largely stopped performing it. Sasha will not have that luxury, as she has no triple axel to fall back on. Joannie has a true lutz after she went through 2 rough seasons re-working her technique. It paid off with a silver at worlds in LA. All the american ladies flutz, but I think Mirai has the best true lutz of them.

When executing a triple lutz Michelle would sometimes swtich to an inside edge at the last minute, even during the short program at the 1998 National. I can only go by the ABC broadcast replay--the 3'47" mark of the following video shows her flutzing during the take off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk

Some thing with her 1998 Olympics short as well if I recall.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
her performance of Moonlight is up on Youtube, and it looks effortless.

her SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcXHTWfC7T8

reminds me VERY much of Malaguena. I guess this is a good thing, since for many that was her best short program ever. I can't see what jump she did in the begining because of the spotlight

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
her performance of Moonlight is up on Youtube, and it looks effortless.

her SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcXHTWfC7T8

reminds me VERY much of Malaguena. I guess this is a good thing, since for many that was her best short program ever. I can't see what jump she did in the begining because of the spotlight

It reminds you of Malaguena because it IS Malaguena! That is not "Moonlight Sonata".

And I don't know it it was effortless or not, because you can't see anything clearly.

Fenena

Spectator
I can hear the music 'Espana Cani'. It certainly is.
But I can't see Sasha because of the spotlight.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
So, I guess no attempt at a lutz or flip? Not surprising, but there was so much speculation, even Sasha said she may try one. Sounds like she had an off night jump wise.

A couple of users over on fsu said she did try the lutz but it was still a 3 flutz and she two-footed the landing. She also tried 3 toe, 3 salchow, and a double axel.

Not a perfect skate by any means but at least she went for it and this is just an exhibition. I think also she must have been aware everyone was watching her jumps VERY closely. Hopefully she'll get over the jitters now that she's got this expo out of the way.

I hope someone posts a better video of her new SP-I'm grateful to the person that uploaded it but I can't hardly see Sasha at all.

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha has never really stopped skating though. She has been touring and should've kept most of her basic skills. I'ts not like this was a competitive event and she is used to skating in front of crowds due to SOI, so nerves can't be her excuse. Looks like most of the same moves to me. I was hoping for something new. C'mon Sasha!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Clip of Sasha skating at "Skate for the Heart" to a unidentified pop song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Usj0TqCOA

bad fall on the triple toe (and she looked very hesitant going in). Hand down on the salchow. But she performed with passion and fire, something we sometimes did not see in the past 4 years.

Fossi

Final Flight
with all due respect, Sasha has been touring iwth SOI, so she should have the passion and audience rapport easily. Now she needs to get the jumps.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With TEB a little more than 3 weeks away, Sasha has her work cut out for her. If she's having jump problems with a 3-jump exhibition program, what does that mean for a 6- or 7-jump, 4 minute FS?