Any Sasha updates? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Any Sasha updates?

MKFSfan

Medalist
Alissa is one of the few I think use her arms in her FW pretty well under COP. They are still a bit excessive, but I feel the movements go with the music and character:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZxAfp00zc

Every time I watch her skate it's like I rediscover what an amazing spinner she really is. I think her layback is 2nd only to Caroline, and no one does the Y-spin better....just wow!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Alissa is one of the few I think use her arms in her FW pretty well under COP. They are still a bit excessive, but I feel the movements go with the music and character:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZxAfp00zc

Every time I watch her skate it's like I rediscover what an amazing spinner she really is. I think her layback is 2nd only to Caroline, and no one does the Y-spin better....just wow!

Yeah, Alissa's arms are very pretty in the step sequence, I just don't get the feeling that her feet are doing anything that difficult compared with say, Mao's footwork. Those spins though....what a joy.

i love to skate

Medalist
It sounds like she isn't even planning on going to Lake Placid. When going into a competition you don't say you are "aiming" to get there. It's also not promising when the journalist says her programs "could" be on display next weekend. :sheesh: So much for a serious comeback.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It sounds like she isn't even planning on going to Lake Placid. When going into a competition you don't say you are "aiming" to get there. It's also not promising when the journalist says her programs "could" be on display next weekend. :sheesh: So much for a serious comeback.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/vancouver/figureskating/2009-11-02-cohen-comeback_N.htm

After TEB that is one way to look at it. Arutunian mentions Sasha's injury is still bothering her - something which I think we all would have suspected since rest is what is needed for tendonitis and there was not much time to rest and still prepare for SA.

Personally I hope she is able to compete at SA and don't think she should worry about whether she is prepared enough to show her best.

After seeing Kiira's silver medal at COC how much does Sasha have to do jumpwise to win a medal or even finish in the middle of the pack at SA?

A couple of clean triples would seem to be enough.:yes:

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
janetfan
you mentions sasha injury still bothering her.
yet failed to point out at goldenwest it was and at teb carolina zhang injury-still might have bothered her. personnally-i didn't want to mention it, but i knew someone including sasha would bring up the injury instead of letting it drop.
also the injury rule didn't help caroline zhang,

also the judges have to hold her (sasha up) why--so they don't look bad and say-see we didn't cheat for sasha back then,by overlooking her jumps -the technqiue-shaky landings, ur's, the prerotation, the wrong edges, the not holding of landing of jumps by switching edges on landings to hold jumps on wrong edge. the judges including isu and usfsa has to give her high pcs scores and techncal otherwise the judging looks and and people will point out --hey you did cheat for sasha back in 1999-2006,
so sasha will get high Undeserved scores. It my prediction even though people (public) will watch out for her technical mistakes and see them .

Did you get the subtle hint that sasha in on the olympic team, and nationals will hold her up despite her mistakes. let her win
The subtle hint sasha may not got to sa _-preferably i would hope she don't--why
so she can shut me up at nationals and skate well, clean technque and at.t
with her injury-you are right she didn't get enough rest, so it is doubtbful her jumps will be good--she flat out stated she is working on her artistry (my take) more than on her jumps.
So if sasha does win nationals --she wins right way-by not cheating and overlooking her wrong edges, urs, prerotation, landing held on wrong edge,
but by right way -she is capable of per marshalls.

R.D.

Record Breaker
To me, it's kind of self-explanatory. The wording of her pullout from TEB said she was advised to take a few WEEKS of rest- exactly the amount of time between TEB and SA. Doesn't really take a math whiz to figure out that she will have little to no real training time- assuming, of course, that the injury report was 100% accurate, and she follows doctor's orders to limit training. And personally, who didn't see this coming? I predicted something like this would happen immediately after she announced her "comeback". To be fair though, this has been one of what, 2 predictable things (in ladies) this season? The other being Yuna Kim dominating, of course.

But Janetfan brings up a good point. She doesn't need to be at 100% going into SA. (I would also argue that she wouldn't WANT to be at 100%, anyway.) If she wants her comeback to be taken even semi-seriously she needs to show up, even if she's only 40-50%. And who knows, that may be good enough for a medal in this field- other than Yuna Kim, everyone else is quite beatable. But knowing Cohen's competitive history, she'll find a way to be beaten by beatable skaters. :biggrin:

If she WD from SA, that's it. Just like Meissner, except the former does have the option of showing up at Nats.

janetfan

Match Penalty
janetfan
you mentions sasha injury still bothering her.
yet failed to point out at goldenwest it was and at teb carolina zhang injury-still might have bothered her. personnally-i didn't want to mention it, but i knew someone including sasha would bring up the injury instead of letting it drop.
also the injury rule didn't help caroline zhang,

also the judges have to hold her (sasha up) why--so they don't look bad and say-see we didn't cheat for sasha back then,by overlooking her jumps -the technqiue-shaky landings, ur's, the prerotation, the wrong edges, the not holding of landing of jumps by switching edges on landings to hold jumps on wrong edge. the judges including isu and usfsa has to give her high pcs scores and techncal otherwise the judging looks and and people will point out --hey you did cheat for sasha back in 1999-2006,
so sasha will get high Undeserved scores. It my prediction even though people (public) will watch out for her technical mistakes and see them .

I am not sure what your problem with Sasha is??
As US Skating correctly sees this, Sasha is the reigning Olympic Silver medalist and Caroline is the reigning Junior World Silver medalsit.

Sasha doesn't necessarily have to skate if she feels injured and unfortunately Caroline probably felt she had to skate at TEB.

I like both skaters very much and for the record I believe Sasha has a better jumping technique than Caroline.

I hope whoever skates the best at Natls is given spots on the Olympic team.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

And her coach comments her jumps, etc. are 'so good' but that 'the hard part is putting it all together'. Yes this is true. I've always been a big fan of Sasha-but putting it all together has ALWAYS been the 'the hard part' for Sasha. I agree that it doesn't seem she's going to be showing up at SA-and if she doesn't imo she shouldn't even bother showing up at Nationals-except perhaps to lure a few fans into the seats (or has the competition been sold out yet?) or increase media interest.

newvie

Rinkside
I still remember how disappointed i was after hearing that she would withdraw from the TEB. I had been really excited to see Sasha along with other top skaters live!

I would really love to see her perfom at SA. Whether she will be on the podium or not doesn't matter. It's always a pleasure to witness great skaters coming back, and I'm sure she still skates beautifully. :love:

I hope she won't disappoint me this time...........

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I'm not a judge, but from the clips from Skate for the Heart, Sasha was skating with impressive speed and power. Maybe she will be ready for Skate America.

Trewyn

Medalist
Someone at SF said that *if* Sasha would withdraw from Skate America, it would be announced on Friday because apparantly that's the day to announce disappointing news. I've never heard that theory before; but if the blogger is right; than that's indeed what's going to happen...

R.D.

Record Breaker
If she keeps hearing about it, then it's probably true. I expect a formal WD announcement tomorrow. (I expected one even if this blogger said nothing. :p )

I seriously doubt she'll make it to Nationals at this rate. Just forget about this "comeback" already and put the spotlight on those who deserve it...

(OTOH, maybe it's to the other skaters' benefit that she takes some of the spotlight away from them. They can fly under the radar)

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I seriously doubt she'll make it to Nationals at this rate. Just forget about this "comeback" already and put the spotlight on those who deserve it...

I have to sadly agree. I expected her to withdraw from TEB, but not being ready or whatever the real story is for SA. Now I think she will regretfully withdraw from nats and let the olympic team go to a far less talented american girl. How could she be so cruel to us fans?

feraina

Record Breaker
I have to sadly agree. I expected her to withdraw from TEB, but not being ready or whatever the real story is for SA. Now I think she will regretfully withdraw from nats and let the olympic team go to a far less talented american girl. How could she be so cruel to us fans?

Actually, between Michelle and Sasha, I'm really bummed. The SA entries really ought to have been Rachael, Caroline, and Alissa. USFSA gave a spot to Sasha, and kept another TBA to wait on Michelle's final decision, so now the American team at SA is really weak. Plus Caroline really got the raw end of it. She got sent to the slaughterhouse that is TEB, not only is it the toughest GP this year but it came so quickly on the heels of her injury and coaching changes. She would've been so much better off going to SA instead of TEB. *sigh*

kandidy

Final Flight
I hope bd news just come out already and then I shall keep myself in full gloomy emotion for a while and don't have to peek in here every hour just to check whether it is true or not. But I guess, yeah....... saddddd

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
USFSA doesn't choose which of their skaters goes where, though, I thought that was an ISU/Event invitation deal?