Artistic Gymnastics | Golden Skate

Artistic Gymnastics

Tutto

Record Breaker
Hey, just wondering if anyone else watching artistic gymnastics?
I've decided to give it a go to make time pass quicker before the FS season starts. I must confess that the last time I watched was in the era of Olga Korbut and Nadia Comaneci (hmm it does make me old does it? Okay I was at school then, not too ancient ;)) I watched last night the women TQ and it was a massive shock, basically the only thing vaguely reminiscent of the old times were the apparatuses themselves and even those were hugely modernised since. Technically, what these girls do is from another universe, and yet I felt that nobody could touch Nadia Comaneci in elegance, grace & perfection of lines & movement...sigh...
And another thing I have to tell you, after last night you'll never catch me complaining about scoring in FS, never!
What a mess the gymnastics! You watch a performance, then before you get a chance to see a score they move on to the next one ,then back to the score (often in the middle of that new routine) the score then disappears from the screen with a speed of light before you could spot a D or E score (you see I've learnt a bit!), you are lucky if you manage to register the total before it all moves back to the current routine. Then it slow downs massively and the viewer left watching for ages the gymnasts changing the socks and other items and very very closely... Wow, with a nostalgia I was thinking of our wonderful sport when you watch one skater to perform then waiting with them for a score, then have time to digest it and then and only then move to the next one. A bliss, and I am ready for the season to start as never before :biggrin:

It's Olga Korbut for me. :love: Time moves on, I guess. Higher faster, stronger. Speaking of which, Simone Biles had an off day yesterday, but still got top scores because she's just higher, faster and stronger than anyone else.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Hey, just wondering if anyone else watching artistic gymnastics?
I've decided to give it a go to make time pass quicker before the FS season starts. I must confess that the last time I watched was in the era of Olga Korbut and Nadia Comaneci (hmm it does make me old does it? Okay I was at school then, not too ancient ;)) I watched last night the women TQ and it was a massive shock, basically the only thing vaguely reminiscent of the old times were the apparatuses themselves and even those were hugely modernised since. Technically, what these girls do is from another universe, and yet I felt that nobody could touch Nadia Comaneci in elegance, grace & perfection of lines & movement...sigh...
And another thing I have to tell you, after last night you'll never catch me complaining about scoring in FS, never!
What a mess the gymnastics! You watch a performance, then before you get a chance to see a score they move on to the next one ,then back to the score (often in the middle of that new routine) the score then disappears from the screen with a speed of light before you could spot a D or E score (you see I've learnt a bit!), you are lucky if you manage to register the total before it all moves back to the current routine. Then it slow downs massively and the viewer left watching for ages the gymnasts changing the socks and other items and very very closely... Wow, with a nostalgia I was thinking of our wonderful sport when you watch one skater to perform then waiting with them for a score, then have time to digest it and then and only then move to the next one. A bliss, and I am ready for the season to start as
The Code of points has ruined WAG ... it's a total mess of a sport. Very few have any grace, elegance, toe point, lightness even speed. No interesting beam routines , watching floor routines I cringe!! Credit Biles with being an incredible at power gymnastics and difficulty!! Artistry well that ship has long sailed !!

icybear

Medalist
Probably why I never enjoy watching Americans on the BB. All about thumping and pounding down on that beam. No grace or elegance of movement

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Code of points has ruined WAG ... it's a total mess of a sport. Very few have any grace, elegance, toe point, lightness even speed. No interesting beam routines , watching floor routines I cringe!! Credit Biles with being an incredible at power gymnastics and difficulty!! Artistry well that ship has long sailed !!
It’s why I prefer NCAA gymnastics, there are some athletes with toe point to die for, it’s still scored out of 10, and ABC/ESPN’s coverage is much better than NBC’s.

macy

Record Breaker
no idea what is happening with Simone but i hope she's alright. for her to completely pull out of team finals is unthinkable...

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
It’s why I prefer NCAA gymnastics, there are some athletes with toe point to die for, it’s still scored out of 10, and ABC/ESPN’s coverage is much better than
no idea what is happening with Simone but i hope she's alright. for her to completely pull out of team finals is unthinkable...
I think she has a slight injury..she chose not to compete in the team event.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Simone has stated she had a crisis of confidence, after her vault so withdrew..Do hope she will come back for the AA and individual apparatus finals. Poor Simone so much pressure. Wish her all the best.

Amei

Record Breaker
Simone has stated she had a crisis of confidence, after her vault so withdrew..Do hope she will come back for the AA and individual apparatus finals. Poor Simone so much pressure. Wish her all the best.
I disagree, she couldn't hold it together (& as it's been said she's been all onboard with the I'm the GOAT promotions so she's opened the door for the media pressure) for the team event and it likely cost the team the gold, I don't want to hear that a few days later she is all 'good to go' for trying to win herself some individual medals. Nope, don't want to see or hear it.

macy

Record Breaker
I disagree, she couldn't hold it together (& as it's been said she's been all onboard with the I'm the GOAT promotions so she's opened the door for the media pressure) for the team event and it likely cost the team the gold, I don't want to hear that a few days later she is all 'good to go' for trying to win herself some individual medals. Nope, don't want to see or hear it.
this narrative is so hypocritical.

the last five years everyone has been so on board with calling on USAG and the USOC to reform and clean house and for the physical and mental safety of athletes be prioritized over medals. Now everyone says she "bailed on her team" and is selfish, when this is exactly what USAG has needed for YEARS. but now that it's actually happening she is selfish and entitled.

Simone is a human and deserves to be treated as such. she deserves grace and respect for that alone and not to just be an entertainment factor and medal grabber.

i hope she does what is best for herself, whether that is withdrawing from the rest of the competition or getting herself together to come back for AA finals. and if she does, i hope she kicks ass.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That’s the same thing I complain about figure skating scoring.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
That’s the same thing I complain about figure skating scoring.
I can understand that. Tbh I was bit unfair, the Russian gymnasts do have some elegance and beauty still. I was shocked by how little variation particularly on the beam there is nowadays!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

macy

Record Breaker
Yes. It’s confusing and I believe her over USAG.
she did come back out with ice on her leg so she may have tweaked something on the landing without actually injuring herself. but its basically been released it was a mental issue.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
She clearly stated in her press conference that she was not injured! I watched it and the competition live, after her vault she mouthed I can't do this. Obvious she was feeling distressed. I think she did the right thing,no medal is worth risking serious injury. She already stated she felt the pressure. I can't imagine what it must be like for her . That took courage to withdraw. America should be extremely proud of her and the rest of the team fought valiantly and they did their best on the day.