Artistic Gymnastics | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Artistic Gymnastics

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i'm still very excited for the AA tomorrow, the entire podium is up for grabs. i think Lee has a great chance if she goes 4 for 4.
I think Suni Lee has a good chance. To be honest, while I admire Biles for her difficult routines, stretching the boundaries of her sport, and her longevity... I'd rather watch Suni Lee and the Russians (excepting Melnikova) any day of the week, as I find their artistry more interesting.

I'm more disappointed with the loss of world champion pole vaulter Sam Kendricks, who has had to withdraw with a positive COVID test.

Imagine

Medalist
Me: Sometimes being a skating fan is kind of exhausting. There's always so much drama what with the leaving Eteri, and the coming back to Eteri and all that. Thankfully the Summer Olympics are this year and I can tune out all the skating stuff temporarily, and be a good 4-year (or 5-year I guess) gymnastics fan for a while. Doo doo doo...

Gymnastics at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
If the games were held on time, I think the US, ROC and even GB teams would have looked different (Becky Downie comes to my mind). It makes me wonder about the winter olympics selections if they potentially got postponed.

I also loved Hashimoto's horizontal bar routine! These gymnastic events have been quite exciting, most countries are improving and the margins between teams are narrower.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm more disappointed with the loss of world champion pole vaulter Sam Kendricks, who has had to withdraw with a positive COVID test.
This guy better count himself lucky that the Australians' tests all came back negative because if our athletics team had all had to withdraw because of an American there'd have been a mini-riot, alliances be damned.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Simone is essentially suffering from twisties. It’s when you get lost in the air. It’s not always something that is easily fixed. She’s physically ok but her brain and body aren’t connected. I’ve read somewhere within the US delegation that she can flip fine, but she’s struggling with twisting. It explains her issues in the prelims on her beam dismount (full twisting double back) and her tumbling on floor (she flew out of bounds on her full twisting double back).
I don’t think she’ll compete again the games.
The US team would look different if the games were held on time, and so would Russia. Listunova was too young for Tokyo when it was originally scheduled.
Very interesting. So basically her sensation of self motion and orientation is affected. For an elite gymnast, this must be frightening. This could have triggered her depression. Chicken/Egg problem.

JOHIO2

Medalist
I have read several articles with quotes from athletes about the "twisties." We way too often forget the connection between mind and body even in things we do every day. I wake up, gotta go to the bathroom! Get up and walk to the bathroom and go through all the physical things it takes to get there and accomplish the act of even peeing. Try doing that in the dark if you have a cold or an ear infection. I've fallen, twisted my ankle, etc. just doing such ordinary acts. No matter how "easy" such a task can seem, if something is "off," be it physical or mental, it can turn dangerous fast. Think drinking and driving. Alcohol and drugs can mess up your judgment and your physical reactions and your attention span. Now consider a physically challenging act, like Simone's vault. As figure skating fans, we have all seen athletes pop jumps. Scott Hamilton always says it their body saying, not today. Well, Simone listened and WD. No medal is worth the risk of serious injury or death. Same thing with drunk driving. Get a ride.

Apple1078

Final Flight
I don't think popping jumps (but I'm not a skater so might be totally wrong) is quite like the twisties. To me, it was like someone cut the wires between your brain and your body mid-air like a blackout of sorts. You take off and then suddenly, you're on the ground wondering how you got there.

macy

Record Breaker
oh my goodness what a competition!!! i am SO PROUD of Suni! Definitely shed some tears for her, she deserves it so much. her life has changed forever.

and VERY happy for Melnikova winning her first AA Olympic medal at possibly her last Olympics and Andrade winning the first medal for Brazil. Rebecca came such a long way from Rio. Amazing accomplishments.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was a great final. I was totally pulling for Rebeca though and could only gasp in horror when she stepped out of the floor twice. So close to gold!

But getting the first Olympic silver medal for gymnastics is super awesome all the same.

Congratulations to all the medallists! :cheer:

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
I don't think popping jumps (but I'm not a skater so might be totally wrong) is quite like the twisties. To me, it was like someone cut the wires between your brain and your body mid-air like a blackout of sorts. You take off and then suddenly, you're on the ground wondering how you got there.
I think the twisties happens to skaters, and it's not the same as popping. Sometimes I recall almost feeling horizontal in the air in a jump, definitely a light-headed, disassociated feeling, especially in competitions. I remember a competition right after I first got my Axel, and doing great Axels in the warmup, but during my program I had no sense of where I was in the air and tried and fell hard on two planned Axels, and then threw in a third unplanned attempt, rotation completely off axis and literally fell on my face. Was that the twisties, or was I just a terrible competitor? (Which I most definitely was.) My coach was completely aghast, like where did that Axel disaster even come from? It was like I was jumping upside down.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Just finished watching the AA competition and wanted to share some impressions. To make this clear beforehand: I know as much about gymnastics as a very casual, every-four-years-fan would. So, not a lot. :laugh:

Anyway: My problem with gymnastics for the last couple times I‘ve seen it has been similar to what‘s happening to figure skating right now. Jaw dropping technical achievements but very little else going on. It was especially obvious during floor exercise - sometimes I was wondering why they‘d even bothered to play music when it was so clearly ignored. So, yeah, I didn‘t exactly expect much going into these Olympics.

BUT: I honestly enjoyed the competition - more than I thought I would. In part, of course, because the two Russians who were competing in the AA perfectly encapsulated what I love about this sport. Melnikova and Urazova (especially the latter, gutted she didn‘t medal!) quickly became my favorites. There‘s just something about being able to complete these very difficult and very dangerous elements and make it look elegant, that I really admire.

To structure this rambling mess of a post - some thoughts in the order of their final standings:

Sunisa Lee: She was easily and without question my favorite of Team USA during the Team Final and I was happy to find out she‘d made the AA final. Her consistency and mental strength was just so impressive to watch and she seems like such a sweetheart to boot. I do think she‘s the most elegant of the US ladies but overall, their entire package is just not my cup of tea and hasn’t been for a while. I think they‘ve mainly been favoring power and difficulty, whereas the Russian style is a bit more balanced. But I’m still happy for her! After all, I don‘t really understand the fine mechanics of the sport and judging solely by subjective taste might not be the best idea lol.

Andrade: Since I didn‘t watch qualifiers, I didn‘t see her before. Honestly, she didn‘t really stand out to me in terms of either artistry or technical prowess but the German commentators talked about her rupturing her cruciate (I think?) three (!!) times over the past few years. And always in the same knee. So, when you hear something like that, you cannot help but root for this person. Also, she made history for her country, which is always nice. I did like her floor routine the most, ironically, despite the mistakes. She was one of the few who actually engaged with the music.

Melnikova: The commentators said she won a prize for most elegant gymnast a few years ago and you can easily see why! After Lee and Andrade both made mistakes, I really thought she‘d win the Gold. Alas, it wasn‘t meant to be. But Bronze is still a great achievement and she does have the OGM from the team event. I do still hope she‘ll pick up a medal or two from the event finals, though, she‘s qualified to a lot of them.

Urazova: I saw her do her floor routine during the team final and she instantly became my favorite. I actually have no particular idea why, I think there‘s just something about her long lines and elegance - it‘s so fascinating to see her move like a dancer in one moment and then tumble and fly through the air in the next. I was disappointed she didn‘t win a medal and she was so close! Fourth is just always bitter. But she‘s young still and maybe she can make a second Olympics? Anyway, I‘ll be rooting for her during her event final.

Derwael was another favorite. Although it was quite obvious (even to me) that her difficulty on the floor wasn‘t the highest, her routine was still great to watch - probably because she‘s so tall. And insane Uneven Bars, of course! By far the most impressive visually for me.

I did like Carey a lot, although she fell from the beam. Probably a stupid question that could be solved by reading the rest of the thread but why wasn‘t she in the team final? Overall, she looked more impressive across all events but one than Jordan Chiles. I guess she didn‘t perform well at the Nationals/Olympic trial?

To close this post: Happy for the medalists and I really loved watching this competition. Maybe this will become a sport I‘ll follow even outside of the Olympics? Let‘s see. :)

PS: This would probably deserve its own post but: I hope Simone feels better soon and good for her for making the best decision for herself. Very brave.

Apple1078

Final Flight
I think the twisties happens to skaters, and it's not the same as popping. Sometimes I recall almost feeling horizontal in the air in a jump, definitely a light-headed, disassociated feeling, especially in competitions. I remember a competition right after I first got my Axel, and doing great Axels in the warmup, but during my program I had no sense of where I was in the air and tried and fell hard on two planned Axels, and then threw in a third unplanned attempt, rotation completely off axis and literally fell on my face. Was that the twisties, or was I just a terrible competitor? (Which I most definitely was.) My coach was completely aghast, like where did that Axel disaster even come from? It was like I was jumping upside down.
Yes, that sounds kind of similar.

macy

Record Breaker
Jade wasn't in the team final because she has an individual spot for the US like Mykayla Skinner. Neither of them could compete in team finals because they aren't part of the main team, and their qualification scores did not count towards the team score. she earned her spot a different way through a cup series instead of the usual olympic trials, so her spot was basically already guaranteed since she had already earned it. Mykaylya earned her individual spot through trials.

i do agree the dance part of floor routines has really gone downhill the last few years. it seems the focus has been more on the tumbling/technical elements. the last person i really enjoyed watching on floor was Laurie Hernandez, she lit up the whole arena. for me it doesn't even have to be graceful (which i also enjoy, Russia is always beautiful to watch) it just has to look like they're really in it, enjoying it and doing everything to the fullest instead of walking through it. i think Jade is a wonderful gymnast and especially tumbler, but her floor routine is like watching paint dry.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Jade wasn't in the team final because she has an individual spot for the US like Mykayla Skinner. Neither of them could compete in team finals because they aren't part of the main team, and their qualification scores did not count towards the team score. she earned her spot a different way through a cup series instead of the usual olympic trials, so her spot was basically already guaranteed since she had already earned it. Mykaylya earned her individual spot through trials.

i do agree the dance part of floor routines has really gone downhill the last few years. it seems the focus has been more on the tumbling/technical elements. the last person i really enjoyed watching on floor was Laurie Hernandez, she lit up the whole arena. for me it doesn't even have to be graceful (which i also enjoy, Russia is always beautiful to watch) it just has to look like they're really in it, enjoying it and doing everything to the fullest instead of walking through it. i think Jade is a wonderful gymnast and especially tumbler, but her floor routine is like watching paint dry.
Listunova's dance at the end of her routine was adorable though - so charming. It felt just like that rare skating program that transcends the code of points.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So since they keep reducing the team members that can compete in the team competition will it be down to just 3 girls in Paris? It's getting ridiculous.