As promised: Bagged Milk | Page 8 | Golden Skate

As promised: Bagged Milk

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whether your milk comes from a carton, jug, bottle, bag, dish, bowl or tub, Happy World Milk Day!

I will be having my daily bowl of cereal (maybe some ice cream too) to celebrate :biggrin:

OMG, World Milk Day! What fun! Although sadly for me I didn't have enough milk in my carton for cereal this morning, quite a shame. But I bought some on the way home from work so I'll be having a belated celebration tomorrow at breakfast :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Jason Brown announced his move to Toronto, a poster on Twitter warned him against bagged milk:laugh2:

"jason please don’t let the canadians put you on that bagged milk nonsense"

https://twitter.com/hanyuzus/status/1001995026497523712

And the replies defended the honor of bagged milk.:laugh:

The debate continues.....

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I have not seen it in years but bagged milk was certainly the norm growing up in our household in the 70's/80's. I also remember our school had the mini bags, which were the perfect compliment for a lunch.

Got 'bagged' milk!

---------------Update-------------

Was at my local grocery store last evening and the customer in front of me at the checkout was buying, a 3 bagger of bagged milk. So yes, it is still a thing in Canada.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I had the best iced coffee yesterday morning so I guess that's my milk day contribution :)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
While having vanilla yogurt the other day, I was thinking, why does this taste like ice cream? :palmf:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I want bagged milk in Austria!
I'm going to contact the local dairy factory.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back when there was milk delivery, (because at least here in the USA, milk delivery, and egg delivery, stopped many years ago:noshake:) did Canadians actually have bagged milk delivered?

Or is it just for market?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Back when there was milk delivery, (because at least here in the USA, milk delivery, and egg delivery, stopped many years ago:noshake:) did Canadians actually have bagged milk delivered?

Or is it just for market?

I don't think there is much milk delivery in Canada. There isn't any in my home town and I'm in the capital. I miss that when I was in England the milk would come to the door. It was sort of like Milk Santa leaving you a gift.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I don't think I've seen home milk deliveries in Australia for years. For some reason I prefer milk, soft drinks and other beverages from a glass bottle.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think I've seen home milk deliveries in Australia for years. For some reason I prefer milk, soft drinks and other beverages from a glass bottle.

Yes. I completely agree with glass bottles over plastic or bagged.

In my hometown where I grew up I have several family members who still have their bread and milk boxes on the outside of their houses where deliveries used to be placed. They told me they thought the milk delivery ceased in the late 60’s or early 70’s but I can’t be sure. It’s definitly not a thing any more in our area of the US. I like the sound of a milk Santa.

Just my opinion but Milk Santa >>> Tooth Fairy

@All

What is the shelf life of bagged milk and are there Organic varieties offered? What about bagged almond milk? Is that a thing? I only ask because once I switched to organic skim milk or mostly almond milk I noticed the shelf life went way up. Like they both stay fresh for about a month.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Milk Santa! Where we try to stay up all night or get up really in the morning to catch him in on the act but never do lol!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Milk Santa! Where we try to stay up all night or get up really in the morning to catch him in on the act but never do lol!

Instead of milk and cookies what would we leave for him to ensure his happiness and good work continues?

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Sandwiches and fruit juice? Bottles that are already cleaned and sterilised upon collection? Oh and no bagged fruit juice either, only glass bottle stuff ;)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Milk deliveries stopped, at least in Philly and its burbs, well, many ;) years ago. Milk delivery when it was freezing cold outside was great, a young person could bring in the milk and eat the frozen part that had risen to the top. Don’t ask me how I know. Probably can’t do that with bagged milk:biggrin:

We have to leave milk and cookies for Santa. :drama: Also when I was young Santa ate the cookies and milk and that’s how I knew Santa really existed, because who else would eat a snack left specifically for Santa:scratch: No one, ergo, he was.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I want bagged milk in Austria!
I'm going to contact the local dairy factory.
So, my husband forbade me to contact the local dairy factory. He said that he's not willing to transport bagged milk in his car because we are bound to forget those jugs. He told me that his father once practically destroyed his car, he took an oldschool plate milk container (we called it "Bitscherl", got milk from a local farmer (a common practice here when we were kids) and spilled the container over the passenger seat. That smell wouldn't go away and he couldn't sell the car. He has good arguments against bagged milk. He also told me that the local dairy factory surely know about all the possible ways to bottle or bag milk and that's probably his best argument.

@All

What is the shelf life of bagged milk and are there Organic varieties offered? What about bagged almond milk? Is that a thing? I only ask because once I switched to organic skim milk or mostly almond milk I noticed the shelf life went way up. Like they both stay fresh for about a month.
Oh, almond milk is best homemade! Just put the almonds in cold water over night, remove the water, mix it, add as much fresh water you like, filter it with a really fine filter and then use sugar, honey, maple sirup, whatever sweetener you like and add more water afterwards if necessary. You can even dry the remains of the almonds and use it to bake healthy cookies.
The almond milk you can buy tastes foul in comparison!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The last milk delivery I am familiar with was in Boulder, Colorado in 1975-76. Even then it was considered a bit of an anachronism. I believe it was glass bottles and they supplied an insulated box that sat outside our door. The insulation was necessary to keep the milk from freezing in the winter as well as getting warm in the summer.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
You can get organic milk in bags here. I believe the shelf life for bagged milk is longer than with cartons. Some people freeze one of 3 bags and then defrost it when the time comes to make it last even longer. I have never done this and I don't know how it effects the taste.

I have never had a problem transferring bagged milk. Not in the car, not in a bundle buggy, not on the bus and not while walking. The bags are pretty tough and hard to puncture. When you put them in the plastic jug you leave the milk in the bag and put the bag in the plastic container and make a small cut to the top corner.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Milk deliveries stopped, at least in Philly and its burbs, well, many ;) years ago. Milk delivery when it was freezing cold outside was great, a young person could bring in the milk and eat the frozen part that had risen to the top. Don’t ask me how I know. Probably can’t do that with bagged milk:biggrin:

We have to leave milk and cookies for Santa. :drama: Also when I was young Santa ate the cookies and milk and that’s how I knew Santa really existed, because who else would eat a snack left specifically for Santa:scratch: No one, ergo, he was.

At my house we left brie/blue cheese, crackers and wine for Santa. When I asked why I was told that Santa could not live on milk and cookies alone. I also always left carrots for the reindeer.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
At my house we left brie/blue cheese, crackers and wine for Santa. When I asked why I was told that Santa could not live on milk and cookies alone. I also always left carrots for the reindeer.

Sounds like you had clever parents. However, if everyone left wine for Santa, a lot of roof repairs would be needed.