As We Await the GP Assignments... | Page 5 | Golden Skate

As We Await the GP Assignments...

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I got my ticket, but the link where we are supposed to get a hotel deal doesn't seem to work. I may have to call tomorrow

it's on this page:
It's possible they might already have sold out of the discounted rooms - I booked one 5 days ago when I noticed that half the room types were already showing unavailable (sold out).

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think it would be hard for Gracie to get the host pick because, like you said, there are several women who placed ahead of her at Nationals who will be competing for that spot. Honestly, she should be doing Senior B's where she might be more competitive for high placements instead of a GP where she is more likely than not to place last.
I agree with this 100%. She needs to compete in places where she has a chance to be competitive. There's no point in finishing last at a GP. It won't be good for her self esteem and there are several skaters who deserve a GP spot more than Gracie.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree with this 100%. She needs to compete in places where she has a chance to be competitive. There's no point in finishing last at a GP. It won't be good for her self esteem and there are several skaters who deserve a GP spot more than Gracie.
Does anyone know how Gracie is doing with her training. I has been a couple of years now of Gracie building her self up again and trainign to regain her skating prowess. She is a huge drawing card still in part because the US ladies while many are very good have not managed to captivate the nation as much - and that is not just how well you do. Bradie Tennell has been solid but just not exciting like Gracie especially at her prime. Mariah, Alyssa, Karen seem to rise and fall. So Gracie is still venerable. And I should say Gracie as a person is valuable regardless if she "regains" her past skating skills/glory.

Amei

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how Gracie is doing with her training. I has been a couple of years now of Gracie building her self up again and trainign to regain her skating prowess.

Gracie's issue has never been practice or training but competition time

And I should say Gracie as a person is valuable regardless if she "regains" her past skating skills/glory.

:palmf: nobody is saying she's less of a human when we're talking about her being handed a GP spot

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
She is a huge drawing card still in part because the US ladies while many are very good have not managed to captivate the nation as much
Yes, I read somewhere and I confirmed myself, that she was the 7th most Googled search term in the US the day after she won her 2014 national title

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know how Gracie is doing with her training. I has been a couple of years now of Gracie building her self up again and trainign to regain her skating prowess. She is a huge drawing card still in part because the US ladies while many are very good have not managed to captivate the nation as much - and that is not just how well you do. Bradie Tennell has been solid but just not exciting like Gracie especially at her prime. Mariah, Alyssa, Karen seem to rise and fall. So Gracie is still venerable. And I should say Gracie as a person is valuable regardless if she "regains" her past skating skills/glory.
She’s a drawing card because she’s a star. ⭐️. That’s why she still has a lot of sponsors (which is good, she doesn’t need tons of money worries on top of everything else). I don’t know how she’s doing with her training. I just hope and pray she does Senior Bs even though they are not “on brand” for her.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
There are unofficial reports that the selection meeting will happen in late June, but nothing more.
The GP’s will be announced in June. A few weeks ago I received an email from USFS about Skate America, and in that email it said something along the lines of ”the full list of athletes competing at Skate America and other Grand Prix series will be announced in June”

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The GP’s will be announced in June. A few weeks ago I received an email from USFS about Skate America, and in that email it said something along the lines of ”the full list of athletes competing at Skate America and other Grand Prix series will be announced in June”
That’s really very soon. I thought they depended partially on the summer comps to make the host picks? When is Champs Camp?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That’s really very soon. I thought they depended partially on the summer comps to make the host picks? When is Champs Camp?

They can and often do wait to make at least the 3rd host pick, it will say "TBA".

And obviously June can mean three weeks from now; FWIW Jason said in an interview s few weeks ago that assignments were expected "by the end of June".

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ah, last year I remember seeing all these handy full lists of who might potentially get GP assignments, but I guess this year all bets are off?

katymay

Medalist
Ah, last year I remember seeing all these handy full lists of who might potentially get GP assignments, but I guess this year all bets are off?
If there is an updated world standings list, I haven't found it. There was no Junior Worlds last year, so standings would be affected by this as well, not sure how they are going to adjust for this, as I recall, they are going to bring these results forward? (Primarily affecting Kamila, Alysa and Daria). I'm going to assume that Worlds results will be the most important consideration, then adding the three juniors from Junior Worlds. Many on the current list are no longer competing (Zhenya, Alina etc.), so I'm thinking the list will go down to 30 or so. (Leona for example, will certainly move into the top 24). Russia might have to use their host spot for Maya depending upon how they reconfigure the world standings list.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If there is an updated world standings list, I haven't found it. There was no Junior Worlds last year, so standings would be affected by this as well, not sure how they are going to adjust for this, as I recall, they are going to bring these results forward? (Primarily affecting Kamila, Alysa and Daria). I'm going to assume that Worlds results will be the most important consideration, then adding the three juniors from Junior Worlds. Many on the current list are no longer competing (Zhenya, Alina etc.), so I'm thinking the list will go down to 30 or so. (Leona for example, will certainly move into the top 24). Russia might have to use their host spot for Maya depending upon how they reconfigure the world standings list.
Evgenia is still competing, last season she had back surgery and Covid.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
For some reason I thought they updated the rankings after the Worlds, but I guess I misunderstood.

spicymacaron

On the Ice
Russia will almost certainly have to push to get Maya two spots, she didn't place in the junior worlds before covid. Evgenia will get at least 1 spot if she's still competing.