Asymmetrical Hip turnout | Golden Skate

Asymmetrical Hip turnout

hughes

Rinkside
For as long as I recall, my right hip has been more open than my left. Years of vinyasa yoga several times a week did not change this. I’ve had many sports injuries (from running, boot camp class) and I suspect it has to do with improper alignment due to pelvic imbalance. Recently I went to PT and he adjusted my hips and claims they are even, but I still am more open on right.

Because of this, when my right leg is extended behind me (stroking, spirals), my blade approaches parallel to ice, but when left leg is extended, toe points toward ice. I can’t turn out left leg and simultaneously keep hips facing forward. I am a recreational adult skater but also a perfectionist and this irks me greatly.

i know that in theory strengthening external rotators should help, and so I do clams and side leg lifts, along with pigeon and frog stretch, but it does not seem to make a difference. I have researched this on the internet but most sources suggest what I’m already doing. I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this and found a way to increase turnout by a significant amount. Thank you!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I have a similar problem (noticeable when doing stuff like outside mohawks/choctaws) and found that foam rolling quads/glutes and doing trigger point release with a tennis or lacrosse ball helps. Stretching alone doesn't work when your muscles are really stuck. Also, it might not just be about the deep external hip rotators - I have asymmetry in the obliques, quadratus lumborum, glute medius, TFL etc., which also contribute indirectly. Maybe you could also try exercises that strengthen and help to balance the other core muscles, e.g. superman, bridges or oblique curlups?

hughes

Rinkside
I have not tried foam rolling. Thanks for that suggestion! And it does make sense that there would be imbalances in those other muscles as well.

ausal

Rinkside
which leg is your is your landing leg? if you land on your right, and "h" with your left, your left hip flexor is possibly more shortened than your right. Correct me if I'm wrong; I believe that pigeon and frog are would target your piriformis muscles. Maybe add in more hip flexor stretches?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Recently I went to PT and he adjusted my hips and claims they are even, but I still am more open on right.
Perhaps you should consider a consult with an orthopedic doctor for a thorough evaluation. You don't want to go all out on a set of exercises to fix what you think is the root cause of the your problem unless you are certain that it is the root cause of your problem. Otherwise, you might do more harm than good.

hughes

Rinkside
which leg is your is your landing leg? if you land on your right, and "h" with your left, your left hip flexor is possibly more shortened than your right. Correct me if I'm wrong; I believe that pigeon and frog are would target your piriformis muscles. Maybe add in more hip flexor stretches?
That is a good idea, I am very tight in hip flexors.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I second getting an examination by an orthopedist.