Attendees Thread | Golden Skate

Attendees Thread

HazyD

Rinkside
I have my tickets! Very excited, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out where to stay in Grenoble. It looks as if the venue is a little ways out of town, and I would ideally like a place in a nice/interesting part of Grenoble that was a fairly easy public transport ride away. Any and all suggestions welcome!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I have my tickets! Very excited, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out where to stay in Grenoble. It looks as if the venue is a little ways out of town, and I would ideally like a place in a nice/interesting part of Grenoble that was a fairly easy public transport ride away. Any and all suggestions welcome!

I booked this hotel which is directly next to the venue. I did some homework and there is a tram directly going to the centre also to the main train station, so getting around should be fairly easy. Also there is a big shopping centre and supermarket just across the street for your convenience. The review of the hotel itself is so-so but it looks decent enough and for a place just to go back to sleep it should be sufficient... check and see if there is still availability.

HazyD

Rinkside
Thanks for the link! I actually went ahead, rolled the dice and booked something in the city centre. It's a little ways away, but it looks to be a straightforward tram ride. I hope!

MGstyle

Medalist
Yes, the tram connection seems like straightforward enough, shouldn't be a problem, once you get the sense of orientation straight. The initial arrival may be tricky though, from what I see in various sites, very often instructions and guides are only in French, and my knowledge of French is next to 0 :eeking: So I will try to do as much homework as possible and arrive as prepared as possible, to avoid any trauma!

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I booked this hotel which is directly next to the venue. I did some homework and there is a tram directly going to the centre also to the main train station, so getting around should be fairly easy. Also there is a big shopping centre and supermarket just across the street for your convenience. The review of the hotel itself is so-so but it looks decent enough and for a place just to go back to sleep it should be sufficient... check and see if there is still availability.

I think I'm booked into the same hotel :) hypothetically my french should have been good enough to commute in from the centre as I took a qualification in it at school, but in reality....:rofl: it's not good. I figured during skating days I can go hotel - rink - the shopping mall opposite - rink - hotel!

I'll venture into the city centre on the day I arrive to test the waters of my French....!

Thanks for the link! I actually went ahead, rolled the dice and booked something in the city centre. It's a little ways away, but it looks to be a straightforward tram ride. I hope!

It'll be fine! I was looking at Airbnbs in area but they were mostly apartments so I went for a hotel in end!

I can't wait to go! Any skaters in particular you're cheering on?

HazyD

Rinkside
Obviously, I'm pretty psyched to see all the biggies -- Chen, Brown, Medvedeva, James and Cipres, Sinitsina and Katsalapov and, mais oui, Papadakis and Cizeron! I'm also a really big fan of Laurine Lecavalier's skating when she's on. Curious to see how Bradie looks after her first big season. I'm a really big fan of Gilles and Poirier, and I'm hoping it's a good competition for Marin Honda 'cause I like her, too. I'm super bummed about Seguin and Bilodeau breaking up because I loved them and was looking forward to seeing them live. Carolina is always great, that is if she's really going to be there.
Okay, it might have been easier to say who I wasn't looking forward to. :party2:

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Who are you rooting for?

Oh so many :yahoo: I think the men's competition is going to be particularly exciting - Nathan obviously, but I think Dmitri Aliev's programs this year are great and it will be awesome to see them live (and hopefully see him skate them clean...!) Jason's short looks really good, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Deniss and Boyang get on.

For the ladies, I think the battle will be between Rika (if she skates the 3As), Bradie and Evgenia. All are looking strong and I can't wait to watch! Piper and Paul have fantastic new programs that I can't wait to see, obviously Papdakis and Cizeron will be :yay: and I hope Hawayek and Baker have good programs - haven't seen any footage yet. In pairs, most definitely James and Cipres!!

Sorry that was pretty lengthy. I'm quite excited in case you can't tell :hap93:

HazyD

Rinkside
Yes on Deniss! I will be interested especially in seeing how his style has developed -- he looked so much like Stephane last season, which, let's be honest, is a good skater to look like, but I think it will be interesting to watch how that evolves as he gets older and better. I totally forgot Boyang was going to be there!! :scratch2: Oh! And for sure the North Koreans!
I've always found Aliev to be a little stiff artistically, but I also know that sometimes you need to see a skater in person to "get it." Like the first time I ever saw Plushenko skate in person -- it was an eye opener!

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes on Deniss! I will be interested especially in seeing how his style has developed -- he looked so much like Stephane last season, which, let's be honest, is a good skater to look like, but I think it will be interesting to watch how that evolves as he gets older and better. I totally forgot Boyang was going to be there!! :scratch2: Oh! And for sure the North Koreans!
I've always found Aliev to be a little stiff artistically, but I also know that sometimes you need to see a skater in person to "get it." Like the first time I ever saw Plushenko skate in person -- it was an eye opener!

I haven't seen Deniss' Japan Open performance yet but I seem to recall the score not being great, so hopefully things will improve! Hopefully Stéphane will be with him as well, so might catch a glimpse of him in the kiss and cry. I'm in tribune H which is pretty near I think?

I hadn't actually seen any of the North Koreans performances bar the Olympics, but a fan of them recommended watching a few more, and so now I'm looking forward to seeing them as well!

I've never actually seen a skater live before, so hopefully I'll be get your Plushenko-feeling with a few more! (Particularly evgenia, who I like, but don't quite "get" in the way many fans do!)

HazyD

Rinkside
The arena looks to be relatively small, with pretty good sight lines, so yes, hopefully you'll get a good look at Stephane. A lot of times at the Grand Prix events (this will be my fourth), the skaters and coaches also roam around the stands. One time Coach Mishin was sitting near me, so I was able to go and get a good photo with him (and he patted me on the cheek!). I also went up to Patrick Chan (at one of his first grand prix assignments!) while he was sitting with Megan Duhamel and could have died because my camera chose that exact moment to break.
You're gonna love it!

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The arena looks to be relatively small, with pretty good sight lines, so yes, hopefully you'll get a good look at Stephane. A lot of times at the Grand Prix events (this will be my fourth), the skaters and coaches also roam around the stands. One time Coach Mishin was sitting near me, so I was able to go and get a good photo with him (and he patted me on the cheek!). I also went up to Patrick Chan (at one of his first grand prix assignments!) while he was sitting with Megan Duhamel and could have died because my camera chose that exact moment to break.
You're gonna love it!

Oh wow that's crazy! Did you get a photo with Patrick/Meagan in the end?

Would you say skaters/coaches generally don't mind if you ask for a photo when they are not busy, or that they do mind?

HazyD

Rinkside
I got a photo of Patrick in his opening pose, but not in the stands. :sad4:

And yes, mostly the skaters are really nice! You're right, you want to wait for when they're not busy, but mostly everyone is very nice indeed.

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Who are you rooting for?

Deniss!!! He‘s the reason we are flying out there! So can‘t wait to see him and his new programs live for the first time.
Since I am a real Deniss/Stéphane Fangirl it‘s hard to cheer on other men as well...

But as for Ladies I am looking most forward to see Evgenia! :)

And yea I am also in the same hotel as you guys (MGStyle - you know me from facebook ;) ) Really caaaaan‘t wait to meet all you skating fans!

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Oh another question.. Since it‘s my first figure skating GP Event...

do you know if it‘s possible to watch the practice? Eg friday morning? That would be great... but then we‘d need to rush quite a bit to be there in time..

MGstyle

Medalist

do you know if it‘s possible to watch the practice? Eg friday morning? That would be great... but then we‘d need to rush quite a bit to be there in time..

I am getting two different inputs. A few attendees at last year's IdF confirmed that by purchasing 5€ ticket at the door, you can attend the practice, and I would like to count on that. One lady however, French and having been present in various IdF (or TEB, or Lalique, whatever) numerous times, insists that pracitces are totally off limits to the public. Perhaps it was so in Bordeaux and Paris, but I have an impression that the atmosphere is much more relaxed in Grenoble. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that the first info is correct!!!!

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Deniss!!! He‘s the reason we are flying out there! So can‘t wait to see him and his new programs live for the first time.
Since I am a real Deniss/Stéphane Fangirl it‘s hard to cheer on other men as well...

But as for Ladies I am looking most forward to see Evgenia! :)

And yea I am also in the same hotel as you guys (MGStyle - you know me from facebook ;) ) Really caaaaan‘t wait to meet all you skating fans!

See you there!! Can't wait to meet all the fans as well :)

Ahhh it all feels so much sooner now that SA is over!!

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I am getting two different inputs. A few attendees at last year's IdF confirmed that by purchasing 5€ ticket at the door, you can attend the practice, and I would like to count on that. One lady however, French and having been present in various IdF (or TEB, or Lalique, whatever) numerous times, insists that pracitces are totally off limits to the public. Perhaps it was so in Bordeaux and Paris, but I have an impression that the atmosphere is much more relaxed in Grenoble. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that the first info is correct!!!!

Ooh I'd love to go to the practices. My plane gets into Lyon late morning Thursday, so I should be in Grenoble early afternoon - hopefully would be in time!

MGstyle

Medalist

Ooh I'd love to go to the practices. My plane gets into Lyon late morning Thursday, so I should be in Grenoble early afternoon - hopefully would be in time!

a good news, the French lady who was insisting that practices were off limits told me she just got the confirmation from the French Fed., that with 5€ per day admission, you can attend the practices!! :rock::agree:

To me the mens event will be my total highlight, featuring all three of my "sons" :biggrin: Deniss, Jason and Dima :luv17: I wouldn't know where to look if all of them will be on the ice all at the same time... my fangirling mode will be full on there :yes2: