boot fit and arches | Golden Skate

boot fit and arches

1cey1cey

Spectator
Hi, I’m new to the forum, and I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some guidance on how to tell if the arch of a boot isn’t the right fit for you? I’ve got a pair of new, unmounted and non-returnable boots that feel basically fine, except that the natural arch of my foot feels longer than the arch in the boot.

By way of context: I am a relatively new skater who is upgrading from Jackson Elites to my first pair of really serious boots, Risport RF1s. I went to a much-recommended, well-respected fitter who sized me at 240Cs in the Risports. They felt a bit snug, but basically fine, certainly nothing I’d complain about and no tighter than my Jacksons. I happened to mention the snugness to a coach at my rink (who also sells skates). She said that, based on my shoe size my foot measurements, she was certain the 240s were too small and that I should at the very least be in 245s. I looked at the Risport sizing chart on the web, and sure enough, based on my measurements (237R, 233L; US shoe size6-6.5) according to the chart she is right, 240 is too small. Now I don’t know whom to trust.

I’m in a rural area, so I have no way to try on another size, and I’m afraid to have them mounted, in case I need to sell them. I’m feeling a little paralyzed.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi, I’m new to the forum, and I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some guidance on how to tell if the arch of a boot isn’t the right fit for you? I’ve got a pair of new, unmounted and non-returnable boots that feel basically fine, except that the natural arch of my foot feels longer than the arch in the boot.

By way of context: I am a relatively new skater who is upgrading from Jackson Elites to my first pair of really serious boots, Risport RF1s. I went to a much-recommended, well-respected fitter who sized me at 240Cs in the Risports. They felt a bit snug, but basically fine, certainly nothing I’d complain about and no tighter than my Jacksons. I happened to mention the snugness to a coach at my rink (who also sells skates). She said that, based on my shoe size my foot measurements, she was certain the 240s were too small and that I should at the very least be in 245s. I looked at the Risport sizing chart on the web, and sure enough, based on my measurements (237R, 233L; US shoe size6-6.5) according to the chart she is right, 240 is too small. Now I don’t know whom to trust.

I’m in a rural area, so I have no way to try on another size, and I’m afraid to have them mounted, in case I need to sell them. I’m feeling a little paralyzed.
Hi and welcome!
My first question is if you are a new skater why you are in the level of boots you are in?! Those are way above beginner level and RF1s are stiff and rated for triples and quads.
As far as the arch issue goes, either the boot is too small making your arch seem longer and your arch not fitting where the arch lays in the boot, or some other issue.

1cey1cey

Spectator

Hi and welcome!
My first question is if you are a new skater why you are in the level of boots you are in?! Those are way above beginner level and RF1s are stiff and rated for triples and quads.
As far as the arch issue goes, either the boot is too small making your arch seem longer and your arch not fitting where the arch lays in the boot, or some other issue.
thanks so much for the response, and I have been skating for awhile, but yes, the RF1s are def an advanced boot for my level. However, I skated in a loaner pair (exactly the same size as the ones I’ve got, 240C) for a couple months and really, really liked them. Long story as to how I’ve got the ones I’ve got now, but the bottom line, I’ve got them now, and I’d like to make them work - but obviously, if they are the wrong size, I’ll have to figure something out. (and sorry about the duplicate post - I am a complete idiot when it comes to this kind of thing :)

Last edited:

Query

Rinkside
I would take the advice of a well respected fitter above the boot manufacturer charts. But it is perfectly normal for boots to need adjustment after delivery. Can you go back to the well respected fitter for adjustments?

If that isn't enough, you can modify the insole to extend the arch, by putting strips of tape where you feel you need them. Try to equalize pressure all over - though many people, especially in extra stiff boots, want a little space directly ahead of and behind (but not to the sides of) the ankle. You don't want them so snug you feel numb, but when you skate, I believe there should be no motion (e.g., slip or raised heels) inside the boot other than pointing and flexing your ankle.

If they really are too snug, and a heat molding doesn't fix that (were they heat molded?), you can replace the insoles with other thin ones you cut to the same peripheral size and shape, and add cloth athletic tape underneath in places until it feels exactly right. (I personally choose to instead cut foam from a camping pad, but that takes practice to get right, and it eventually mats down and needs to be replaced.)

1cey1cey

Spectator
Thanks so much for the response, Query. I haven't logged on in awhile because I've been too busy skating in what turned out to be exactly the right pair of skates after all.

My story has ended very happily. I did indeed get a second opinion from another well respected boot fitter, and he corroborated the first fitter's assessment that 240C was the right size. After I got the second opinion, I felt comfortable moving forward with getting them baked, and I've been delighted with the result. I skated 30 hours in one week's time right after the baking and not one single blister, hot spot, ache or pain.

I can't believe I let myself get so paralyzed by this random coach who told me that 240s were way too small. It just goes to show that coaches can be knowledgeable about lots of things, but they aren't always the experts when it comes to boots. It def. pays to go to someone who specializes in fitting.

thanks so much to you and IceRabbit for the advice!