Brian Joubert's future | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert's future

herios

Medalist
Lol your words remind me of all those that said Zhenya didn't have a chance, he was done, no way could he come back after a 3 year layoff, then later on he thanked what he called his "enemies", as their words only spurred him on.

I hope words such as yours do the same thing to Brian ~ spur him on! :rock: :cool:

Then why not bring back Brian Boitano ? He is hiding behind the cooking pot, why not come back and show the folks how a true Lutz looks like?:biggrin::laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Miki Ando is managing to stay afloat, I see no reason why Brian can't. He just needs to learn how to use his experience to his advantage and be able to land the jumps consistently - if he does, it won't matter if he's boring, he will do well do to his reputation (which will keep his PCS up) and TES. It's working so far for Miki.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joubert will be even older then Plushenko was in Vancouver plus he's not Evgeni. Say what you want about Plushenko but he's one tough competitor and was a better skater thoughout his career. 30 year olds shouldn't be competing against 20 year olds.

When a skater begins to lose his Tech, I raise an eyebrow and wait to see him/her again. I don't think much of posters who jump to conclusions on one competition. Give the guy a break. Brian will retire when he feels it as will Miki.

Boitano has his Oly gold. He also was skating in that gang of former world golds and none of them did well. They all turned out to be a waste of time.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Lol your words remind me of all those that said Zhenya didn't have a chance, he was done, no way could he come back after a 3 year layoff, then later on he thanked what he called his "enemies", as their words only spurred him on.

I hope words such as yours do the same thing to Brian ~ spur him on! :rock: :cool:

You see, I don't recall much of any "Zhenya doesn't have a chance." In fact, I read a whole lot of "if he comes back, they should just hand him the gold because he has the qaud." If my words spur Brian on, more power to him, frankly. There are few things more exciting in sport then seeing someone people had counted out comeback and do wonders when it counts (Hence why Czisny's success thus far this season has been so satisfying).

But I don't think Joubert and Plushenko are similar athletes. Joubert's definitely a showman, but not a born/created competitor like Plushenko. Joubert remains the only male world champion who didn't win the LP, for example (he wants to do just enough to win) whereas Plushenko wanted to own his rivals (and it was only his disregared for COP that meant he wasn't a two time OGM)..

If Miki Ando is managing to stay afloat, I see no reason why Brian can't. He just needs to learn how to use his experience to his advantage and be able to land the jumps consistently - if he does, it won't matter if he's boring, he will do well do to his reputation (which will keep his PCS up) and TES. It's working so far for Miki.

Miki's field is far more depleted, though. Brian's not even demonstrated enough acumen to remain the number one skater for his federation.

Joubert will be even older then Plushenko was in Vancouver plus he's not Evgeni. Say what you want about Plushenko but he's one tough competitor and was a better skater thoughout his career.

Word.

seniorita

Record Breaker
You see, I don't recall much of any "Zhenya doesn't have a chance."
:jaw:
well I do!:laugh: There were people - I even remember which:cool:-foreseeing he will finish out of top ten, last etc , the grandpa with the stool is coming back and will he hold the training, or will withdraw after the first gp, that were glorious days!!! It was fun! The give him the gold was much later, after season had started. I prefered the grandpa period!

Re Joub it is funny how people and judges wanted him to change, he went to the best choreographers, made a new style of programs, and now they complain they want the old Joub back.He is powerful skater with lots of charisma and entertaining factor, why should have he turned to be a second Abott?
And shouldnt a choreographer sense the dynamic of the skater? I dont know what Wilson was thinking with this lp, but Joub is not Yuna. I always prefer wilson 's sp programs it seems.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Oh, I'm not saying it wasn't there, but I do think there was both sides. But my point was more that I don't understand the perception that "If Plushenko can do it, so can Joubert." I tink there are a number of differences between the two that makes it unlikely for Joubert to ascend to that height.

You know, I'm not sure how much I wanted Joubert to change. But I wanted something more than he was giving. And frankly, I think people are complaining about his new programs because he's not skating them well nor selling them at all. I don't think that's somehow hypocritical.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Miki's field is far more depleted, though. Brian's not even demonstrated enough acumen to remain the number one skater for his federation.

Do people really think Amodio is better than Joubert at this point though? I mean, he's on the rise and has been skating very well this season, but I still feel like a clean Joubert could beat a clean Amodio, at least at this point.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Oh, I'm not saying it wasn't there, but I do think there was both sides. But my point was more that I don't understand the perception that "If Plushenko can do it, so can Joubert." I tink there are a number of differences between the two that makes it unlikely for Joubert to ascend to that height.

You know, I'm not sure how much I wanted Joubert to change. But I wanted something more than he was giving. And frankly, I think people are complaining about his new programs because he's not skating them well nor selling them at all. I don't think that's somehow hypocritical.

Agree. How many Plushenkos in the world? One. Plushenko does not only have the will that is so rare, but also has the body which could answer the challenge of his will. While Joubert is also a tough skater, he is not Plushenko.

herios

Medalist
:Re Joub it is funny how people and judges wanted him to change, he went to the best choreographers, made a new style of programs, and now they complain they want the old Joub back.He is powerful skater with lots of charisma and entertaining factor, why should have he turned to be a second Abott?
And shouldnt a choreographer sense the dynamic of the skater? I dont know what Wilson was thinking with this lp, but Joub is not Yuna. I always prefer wilson 's sp programs it seems.

I mentioned before and I will do it again, Jouby's prblem are his jumps, he is struggling with them. If the jumps are not there, he can have a chreographic masterpiece, it won't matter.
When was the last time you saw him with a CLEAN skate?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I just really like Brian and hope for the best for him, which my crystal ball says he will stay in for the long haul, and he will compete not only up to Nice in France in 2012, but also at the Olympics in Sochi in 2014.

Never underestimate a champion, especially one with his record & longevity, only a fool would count him it.

And don't forget he's publicly stated that he wants to be the first man in history to have won all the GP events. The only one missing on his resume is COC, which he plans to win some day, and I believe him. Where there's a will there's a way! :)

On a final note, I have to say I enjoy fans' that stay with their favorites no matter what, they don't jump ship at the slight sign of trouble. The worst to me are the wishy-washy type, whom can't make up their mind about anything, which speaks of character. I say stand firm & strong, take a stand, any stand, and stick with it. Don't become one of those that always sit on the fence, going with the flow when it benefits, wanting to be on the winning team. It's like a mud friend, only there during the good times, disappearing when trouble hits. And on that score, I must say I may not always agree with what fairly4 posts, but I do respect him/her for their conviction, never wavering, that speaks of a strong character. Not weakness. End of rant. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker

Wait, I really REALLY didnt think about people being hypocriticalwhen I wrote my post, not at all. My point that probably didnt come across well was that I think Joubert had his own style and cop or no cop he used to have programs who highlighted his charisma, didnt surpress it. I really think he sacrificed the freedom in his skate with this Lp and it doesnt suit him at all, thats all. I personally prefer the old Joubert with some new spark, not the alienated one. I dont want everybody to be Abott and Kozuka.

I dont really know but in TEB his jumps looked fine to me in sp. Maybe there is a confidence boost he needs but he has come back from bad skates and seasons again, I trust he will what is possible to be on top again.

bibi24

Final Flight
The situation reminds me of the 2002 Olympics Men's Era...

Joubert (Elvis Stojko) and Plushenko (Eldredge) staying in while being phased out by Patrick Chan/Daisuke/Lysacek/Oda/Takahiko (Yagudin/Plushenko/Geobel/Honda/Abt) :party:

I still believe a skater has to make up his own mind about retiring. He, and only he knows his feelings for competitive sport. Women skaters (Surguri) also. They have a right to compete. Pairs, and Dance Teams also.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still believe a skater has to make up his own mind about retiring. He, and only he knows his feelings for competitive sport. Women skaters (Surguri) also. They have a right to compete. Pairs, and Dance Teams also.

^ ITA with this statement.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
silverlake, I do wonder if a clean Amodio will beat a clean Joubert. I don't think it's out of the question. But I also wonder what the likelihood of seeing a clean Joubert is.

The question is not IF he has a right to compete. The question is what do we, as enthusiasts of the sport, want to see and expect to see from him. If the future is one of disappointing results, then I think we should question why.

I just really like Brian and hope for the best for him, which my crystal ball says he will stay in for the long haul, and he will compete not only up to Nice in France in 2012, but also at the Olympics in Sochi in 2014.

Never underestimate a champion, especially one with his record & longevity, only a fool would count him it.

And don't forget he's publicly stated that he wants to be the first man in history to have won all the GP events. The only one missing on his resume is COC, which he plans to win some day, and I believe him. Where there's a will there's a way! :)

On a final note, I have to say I enjoy fans' that stay with their favorites no matter what, they don't jump ship at the slight sign of trouble. The worst to me are the wishy-washy type, whom can't make up their mind about anything, which speaks of character. I say stand firm & strong, take a stand, any stand, and stick with it. Don't become one of those that always sit on the fence, going with the flow when it benefits, wanting to be on the winning team. It's like a mud friend, only there during the good times, disappearing when trouble hits. And on that score, I must say I may not always agree with what fairly4 posts, but I do respect him/her for their conviction, never wavering, that speaks of a strong character. Not weakness. End of rant. :)

For what it's worth, Joubert is NOT one of my favourites. Jumping ship for me would be enjoying him now.

Frankly, there's two good outcomes from my point of view. Outcome one: I'm wrong, and Joubert skates strongly in the upcoming years. This is good for the sport and raises the competition. Outcome two: I'm right, and Joubert doesn't do well. I like being right.

Thirdly, unwavering conviction isn't inherently a good thing. To use an example: It is ImaginaryPogue's conviction that <INSERT NAME> is an <INSERT MEAN CHARACTERISTIC>. Despite all evidence to the contrary, he holds fast to this belief. We shouldn't confuse strength and conviction with obstinancy and disregard empathy.

Johar

Medalist
His programs are visually appealing to me so I want to see him put it together and win.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I was going to stay out of it, but then again, I might as well add a couple of cents:

It seems to me that Joubert always has a stomach flu!!!
I can remember two times, during TEB and right before 2008 Euros. But I really am not privy to Brian Joubert's medical issues, other than what's made public. He has only one kidney - maybe he's more prone to certain health concerns as a result?

Joubert remains the only male world champion who didn't win the LP, for example (he wants to do just enough to win) whereas Plushenko wanted to own his rivals (and it was only his disregared for COP that meant he wasn't a two time OGM).
2007 Worlds being brought up again - oh hi, dead horse! :biggrin: At the time, Joubert was a month removed from foot surgery after spiking his blade into his foot, and in no shape to do the most difficult program possible. I maintain it was cutting edge CoP of the sort currently popular: do the most difficult program you can without sacrificing quality! Joubert was the only guy in Tokyo to get no negative GOEs in the LP, IIRC. Give him some credit for skating well there, it couldn't have been easy given the injury and the consequent missed training time.

Oh, come on, that can be said about any male skater these days. But to answer the question: 2010 Worlds SP... surely it was at least a bit memorable?

Honestly, I have no idea what's been going on with Brian Joubert. He's rarely been a strong early season skater, he's probably still recovering emotionally from last season, and it's his tenth year as a senior - there's only so much an athlete's body can take. Who knows. I hope there are more good programs and good results in his future.