British and Irish Figure skating 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks for posting this @CaroLiza_fan Welcome to Gorsha and his Mother, but welcome to the world of young non wealthy figure skaters in Britain. Someone tell that reporter they all get up at 5am to go training and only have a coach if and when they can afford it. But at least Gorsha's story shone a light on Skating in Britain.

That is a very good point. People have no idea the struggles skaters have to go through. All they see is the glamour and sparkles and pretty dresses.

Moving on to the Irish Nationals, usually held in Lee Valley during their Open week, but the rink is being renovated. So they will be held at Ice Dundee this weekend, home of Conor Stakelum. Good Luck all. ☘☘☘

Oooh. I didn't know that.

I had been keeping an eye out for news of the Cypriot Championships, as they are usually held at this time of year. But when the Irish Championships didn't get held at their normal time, I just assumed that they were not being held this year. So I didn't bother keeping an eye out for news of them.

I just went to the ISAI website, and the first thing I spotted was a story about Sam setting new Irish record scores in the FS and overall at the Triglav Trophy. I had completely forgotten that it was on the same week as Junior Worlds! :drama: :bang:

It took a while to find, but here is the page with the details about the Championships:

https://isai.ie/event/2022-irish-national-figure-skating-championships

There's no Entries / Results page link, but there is a link to a PDF containing the list of entries. The Condon sisters do not appear to be coming over for Nationals but, apart from that, it's the usual suspects in Junior and Senior Singles (Conor and Sam in Senior Men; Dillon in Junior Men; and Robyn, Elizabeth and Sophia in Junior Ladies).

The significant thing is that there is also a Junior Ice Dance competition. After being guest skaters at various events over the past couple of years, Laura and Kevin Hegarty are finally getting to compete officially.

Are Irish Nationals being held in conjunction with a club event? If it is part of a bigger event, there might be a chance of it being livestreamed. I hope it is, because I am already missing watching skating.

Thank you so much for letting us know about the event!

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Got an email from Eurosport today.

Dear customer,

We are writing to let you know that our Terms of Use are going to be updated and these changes will take effect on 23 May 2022.

You can find a copy of the updated Terms of Use which apply in your country here.

We have amended our Terms of Use to comply with the introduction of new consumer laws. This means that we have provided additional clarity on, amongst other things, the types of updates and modifications that we may make to the service.

If you have purchased a subscription for Eurosport, there will be no changes to our pricing, your billing or content.

Sincerely, the Eurosport Team​

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Please vote for Freeze in the NTA Awards Factual Entertainment category.

:thank:

If it wins we may get another series!

FREEZE :popcorn::cool:
I did. It was a close call, because I (obviously) adore the Sewing Bee, but I think we know there will be more series of that and Freeze deserves more.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The Brittania Cup is listed as taking place 27 and 28th August in Sheffield. It looks like it may be an international event

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/28572-isu-communication-2485/file

It's for Novices, Juniors and Seniors across the four disciplines but I can't find any other details on the British Ice Skating page, or elsewhere

(There's another event called the Brittania Cup, but that's for synchro skating, and took place earlier this year).

Does anyone have any more/any inside information?

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The Brittania Cup is listed as taking place 27 and 28th August in Sheffield. It looks like it may be an international event

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/28572-isu-communication-2485/file

It's for Novices, Juniors and Seniors across the four disciplines but I can't find any other details on the British Ice Skating page, or elsewhere

(There's another event called the Brittania Cup, but that's for synchro skating, and took place earlier this year).

Does anyone have any more/any inside information?
I found out a bit more today - it is an international qualifier event, (so it will be interesting to see which skaters travel to Sheffield to take part).

Reactions: DSQ

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It looks like Sasha Fear is taking a break from Skating and will be working as an intern in New York for the Summer. In any event she hasn't found another partner yet so to prepare for the upcoming season would be a tall order. This means the 2nd Dance spot attained by LilahandLewis for European & Worlds will go to waste unless one of the Junior couples moves up. This is when it's sad that we've lost so much talent abroad. The Spanish Fed made sure they announced they are keeping Olivia Smart if/when she finds a new partner. Molly Lanaghan has remained stuck in the 5th/6th position at Canadians with Dmitre Razgulayevs, overtaken by Junior couples who move up every season. If they competed for Britain she would have the No.2 spot and be able to compete at the highest level. They've never got beyond Senior Bs representing Canada. Then there's Peter Beaumont who is staying Junior for one more year with Nadiia Bashynska after winning the World Junior Bronze, but are good enough to compete at Senior for his native Britain now.

It looks like Tiffani Zahorski has retired, so we can't tempt her back even though her partner Jonathan was born in Australia so could probably get a passport for GB.

So, although I was sure Phebe & James would stay Junior for one more season before he ages out, which is a good decision as Phebe has only one season of International experience. It may be possible they will decide to move up now. I suppose it depends on coaches Coomes & Buckland. But what's sad is that they had Level 4 Blues Patterns last season and next season the Seniors have no Pattern in the Rhythm Dance. What a stupid decision that was! However Phebe & James will stand a far better chance of qualifying for Euros and Worlds than Eleanor & Anthony.

It's confirmed that Kat & Billy are competing at Juniors, as are Sophia & Alex, Ashlie & Atl and Emily Phillips & Luke.

Billy's former partner with whom he won the Junior British Bronze medal, Lucy Hancock, will be competing for Hungary in Seniors. Her new partner is Ilias Fourati who used to skate with Emily Monaghan. So I'd better get a Magyar flag to support them!

We will know more come August. But hopefully we'll see a variety of GB couples in the JGP like last season.

If you didn’t read on another thread, Atl took part in the Platinum Jubilee Pageant on Sunday playing his Trumpet!

👏👏🥰🥰🇬🇧🇬🇧👑👑

Reactions: DSQ

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
It looks like Sasha Fear is taking a break from Skating and will be working as an intern in New York for the Summer. In any event she hasn't found another partner yet so to prepare for the upcoming season would be a tall order. This means the 2nd Dance spot attained by LilahandLewis for European & Worlds will go to waste unless one of the Junior couples moves up. This is when it's sad that we've lost so much talent abroad. The Spanish Fed made sure they announced they are keeping Olivia Smart if/when she finds a new partner. Molly Lanaghan has remained stuck in the 5th/6th position at Canadians with Dmitre Razgulayevs, overtaken by Junior couples who move up every season. If they competed for Britain she would have the No.2 spot and be able to compete at the highest level. They've never got beyond Senior Bs representing Canada. Then there's Peter Beaumont who is staying Junior for one more year with Nadiia Bashynska after winning the World Junior Bronze, but are good enough to compete at Senior for his native Britain now.

It looks like Tiffani Zahorski has retired, so we can't tempt her back even though her partner Jonathan was born in Australia so could probably get a passport for GB.

So, although I was sure Phebe & James would stay Junior for one more season before he ages out, which is a good decision as Phebe has only one season of International experience. It may be possible they will decide to move up now. I suppose it depends on coaches Coomes & Buckland. But what's sad is that they had Level 4 Blues Patterns last season and next season the Seniors have no Pattern in the Rhythm Dance. What a stupid decision that was! However Phebe & James will stand a far better chance of qualifying for Euros and Worlds than Eleanor & Anthony.

It's confirmed that Kat & Billy are competing at Juniors, as are Sophia & Alex, Ashlie & Atl and Emily Phillips & Luke.

Billy's former partner with whom he won the Junior British Bronze medal, Lucy Hancock, will be competing for Hungary in Seniors. Her new partner is Ilias Fourati who used to skate with Emily Monaghan. So I'd better get a Magyar flag to support them!

We will know more come August. But hopefully we'll see a variety of GB couples in the JGP like last season.

If you didn’t read on another thread, Atl took part in the Platinum Jubilee Pageant on Sunday playing his Trumpet!

👏👏🥰🥰🇬🇧🇬🇧👑👑
I'm hoping that Anthony and Eleanor can score enough this season to qualify for Europeans and Worlds. I'd love to go and cheer them on at Europeans (Worlds in Japan is beyond my budget, sadly!)

If not, then I hope someone gets to use up the second spot - such a great opportunity!

[Olivia and Jonathan as a future ice dance team???]

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Poor Sasha Fear but understandable. I wish her well in NY.

As for Bekker and Hernandez I think it’s the right decision to stay juniors but in my eyes they are definitely the new second team in the UK. They looked like seniors at JW.

I wish we had an insider at British Ice Skating to see if they are actively scouting for ice dancers or if they see the talent in juniors and think that while it is a problem today by 2025 we might have to many teams!

This upcoming junior ice dance season will be very interesting.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I know what your thinking, but I'm not sure whether Jonathan would be eligible, given that he doesn't have any family connections to the UK (or to Australia, for that matter). His Mum is Russian, and his Dad is Portuguese. He was born in Australia because his Mum (1989 Universiade Ice Dance champion Svetlana Liapina) was coaching there.

I still can't understand why Tiffany and Jonathan opted for Russia, when they had so many other options where they would have been practically guaranteed slots. As somebody who has been a fan of both of them in their various partnerships for many years, obviously I would have loved to see them competing for Great Britain. But, if I am totally honest, my preferred option for them would have been Portugal. Having somebody as good as them representing Portugal could have really kickstarted a figure skating scene there (look what Javi's success did for skating across the border in Spain). Plus, since there are no other Portuguese Ice Dancers, they would not have been depriving anybody of slots (which they would have been doing if they had opted for one of their countries of birth).

But, hey. That's all history now.

Whatever their plans, I wish Tiffany and Jonathan all the best for the future.

[Olivia and Jonathan as a future ice dance team???]

Oh, boys but that would be a partnership! Unfortunately, I think it will remain a dream. 😞

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

👏👏🥰🥰🇬🇧🇬🇧👑👑

Sorry, I really should have posted about it in this thread. :slink:

But, thank you again for the heads up. :bow: :thank:

Just saw your link on Twitter to the Fed's post giving the details for next month's Solo Dance Championships. And thought I should add in this thread that Ashlie and Atl are down to make their Junior level debut in the Ice Dance portion of the event. :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Ice Dance Provisional Entry List:
https://edc78b5e-a47b-4560-bd1b-721...d/edc78b_84e204ac23fa4f65a00bd13a71071e65.pdf

Solo Dance Provisional Entry List:
https://edc78b5e-a47b-4560-bd1b-721...d/edc78b_ef9e83ea6cfe4803aad8bcf3b6fdf83d.pdf

Looking at the entry lists for the Solo Dance, I was surprised to see Alana Pang's name. Has she been competing in Solo Dance alongside Singles, or has she switched categories for the coming season?

It would be a surprising move if she has switched.

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Sorry, I really should have posted about it in this thread. :slink:

But, thank you again for the heads up. :bow: :thank:

Just saw your link on Twitter to the Fed's post giving the details for next month's Solo Dance Championships. And thought I should add in this thread that Ashlie and Atl are down to make their Junior level debut in the Ice Dance portion of the event. :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Ice Dance Provisional Entry List:
https://edc78b5e-a47b-4560-bd1b-721...d/edc78b_84e204ac23fa4f65a00bd13a71071e65.pdf

Solo Dance Provisional Entry List:
https://edc78b5e-a47b-4560-bd1b-721...d/edc78b_ef9e83ea6cfe4803aad8bcf3b6fdf83d.pdf

Looking at the entry lists for the Solo Dance, I was surprised to see Alana Pang's name. Has she been competing in Solo Dance alongside Singles, or has she switched categories for the coming season?

It would be a surprising move if she has switched.

CaroLiza_fan
Thanks for posting @CaroLiza_fan yes, not long to go now before Ash & Atl's Junior Debut. Pity no other Junior couples have entered and shame it's in Sheffield, yet again! 🤐

Re Alana Pang, yes she's always done Solo Dance and Figure side by side. I feel it was her all around skating skills that helped her get a Junior FS medal at last year's British Championships as her jumps have a bit of a leg wrap, and she only does Doubles.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Katarina DelCamp posted pics of herself at the Jubilee in a flag-themed outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.