British and Irish Figure skating 2022-2023 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

British and Irish Figure skating 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a quick update with 30 minutes to go before the action starts in Dundee with the Irish Junior and Senior Ice Dancers.

Firstly, here is a preview of the Irish Championships that Seán Gillis wrote on the ISAI website:

https://isai.ie/top-irish-figure-skaters-set-to-compete-at-national-championships/

There was also a story about the Irish Championships in yesterday's Belfast Telegraph:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...-figure-skating-championships/a487418447.html

I found that link on the Dundee Club's Facebook page while trying to find out if there is livestreaming of any of this weekend's action. Unfortunately, the club's website is still down, so I can't check on there. (Which means I can't find the Entries / Results page either).

A thing I did find out, though, is that Natasha McKay will be performing in a special farewell exhibition tonight, after the competitive action has concluded (they reckon that will be about 17:30 BST). More details here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=565041399131625&set=a.484072093895223

And not only that, but entry to Natasha's exhibition is free!

All the best to everybody competing at all parts of the event this weekend.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There is livestreaming!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Dundee Ice Sports Live YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@dundeeicesportslive9851

Saturday morning (currently showing a practice session):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZhedSphOI

Saturday afternoon (starts with Irish Advanced Novice Ladies SP):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTCnJMaYO9o

Sunday morning (starts with National 1 Ladies FS):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm8abj2uEJc

Sunday afternoon (starts with Irish Advanced Novice Ladies FS):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_dymbLEyKU

Monday morning (starts with National 3 Ladies FS):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jxoURUs3nw

Monday afternoon (starts with National 2 Ladies FS):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsH7_MxcU8

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am so sorry. I completely forgot that the Dundee Open extended into Monday. :slink:

So, apologies for not posting a reminder yesterday morning.

But, never fear, all the streams have been archived. So if you missed anything during the past 3 days, you will be able to catch up on the action. The links for all the livestreams are in the following post:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/posts/3135592

Sorry again

CaroLiza_fan

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Praise for last year's Grand Prix Event at Sheffield - from the fabulously artistic Canadian singles skater Corey Circelli:

"What was it like making your senior Grand Prix debut at the MK John Wilson Trophy, and how was the experience skating at IceSheffield in Great Britain?

I can’t put into words the feeling I had getting assigned to the first ever Grand Prix in England. I was born in Manchester and lived in London the first four years of my life so in many ways I feel so connected to the country and culture. If I had to describe the event in one word, I would use “crowd”. It was magical. Completely sold out every day with such educated skating fans. They made me feel so appreciated and important and the energy they gave off was magnetic. At one point in my short program, I actually couldn’t hear the music. It was an experience I’ll never forget and I’m so thankful that my first Grand Prix happened in England."

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Praise for last year's Grand Prix Event at Sheffield - from the fabulously artistic Canadian singles skater Corey Circelli:

"What was it like making your senior Grand Prix debut at the MK John Wilson Trophy, and how was the experience skating at IceSheffield in Great Britain?

I can’t put into words the feeling I had getting assigned to the first ever Grand Prix in England. I was born in Manchester and lived in London the first four years of my life so in many ways I feel so connected to the country and culture. If I had to describe the event in one word, I would use “crowd”. It was magical. Completely sold out every day with such educated skating fans. They made me feel so appreciated and important and the energy they gave off was magnetic. At one point in my short program, I actually couldn’t hear the music. It was an experience I’ll never forget and I’m so thankful that my first Grand Prix happened in England."
Oh, that's lovely! It was, indeed, a fabulous event. I will continue to hope for another.

Weetos

Final Flight
I am sad to not see Phebe and James get a GP spot yet, I was really crossing my fingers. I guess there is still a chance...

Just thinking, will we be able to fill the ice dance JGP spots? I think it will be one entry in all seven events? Do we even have 4 junior teams?

Reactions: DSQ

gleungc6

On the Ice
I am sad to not see Phebe and James get a GP spot yet, I was really crossing my fingers. I guess there is still a chance...

Just thinking, will we be able to fill the ice dance JGP spots? I think it will be one entry in all seven events? Do we even have 4 junior teams?
I’m hoping there might be withdrawals and they might be able to slot in eventually!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I just saw this too I take an interest in British Ice Dance but i can’t say I’ve heard of either of them. Don’t worry detective DSQ is here! Give me 12hrs and I’ll see what I can find.

Sooo... if they both already have citizenship, and neither of them have competed for US/Canada internationally, does that mean they'd be able (performance dependent obviously) to take the 3rd spot for Euros next year...?

So it’s my understanding that only she has the passport and he does not. As it stands they both can rep team U.K. straight away just not at the Olympics which is years away.

I’m almost certain we won’t fill all our JGP slots this year but considering just how good Alt and Ash were last season straight out of the gate BIS have got time to scout out upcoming talents. I am very excited for this year’s junior season.

As for Bekker and Hernandez I am a bit gutted they won’t be skating in the GP but they will have stunning debuts at Euros and Worlds I am sure!

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
So it’s my understanding that only she has the passport and he does not. As it stands they both can rep team U.K. straight away just not at the Olympics which is years away.

I’m almost certain we won’t fill all our JGP slots this year but considering just how good Alt and Ash were last season straight out of the gate BIS have got time to scout out upcoming talents. I am very excited for this year’s junior season.

As for Bekker and Hernandez I am a bit gutted they won’t be skating in the GP but they will have stunning debuts at Euros and Worlds I am sure!
Last year's 3rd placed junior team (at Nationals) - Molly Hairsine and Alessio Surenkov-Gultchev are very good and show loads of potential. They haven't been skating together that long but have already made fantastic progress - ones to watch.

Reactions: DSQ

Weetos

Final Flight
Does anyone know anything about the advanced novice ice dancers from nationals? They looked pretty baby so wouldn't be surprised if they aren't old enough yet but would like to know if they are continuing as a team!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does anyone know anything about the advanced novice ice dancers from nationals? They looked pretty baby so wouldn't be surprised if they aren't old enough yet but would like to know if they are continuing as a team!

I just went to the Fed's website to find the link to the results, and I found something interesting.

There is a Coaches Convention in Sheffield at the end of July. Carol Lane, Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier will be there from 24th to 26th, while Alexander Koenig will be there from 27th to 28th.

https://www.iceskating.org.uk/post/moderators-announced

Anyway, getting back to Mimi MARLER DAVIES / Joseph BLACK (AXP), according to her Rink Results profile, Mimi was competing in Singles this past season at Basic Novice level. (She was 34th in Nationals at this level last month). So, taking this into account along with the fact that she looks VERY young, I would say she isn't old enough for Juniors yet.

As for Joseph, his Rink Results profile doesn't have anything since February 2020. He was competing at Level 3 in Singles back then.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to find out anything more definite about their plans. Sorry.

CaroLiza_fan

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Ayr is closing due to energy costs: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66036357 Wouldn't be surprised if more follow on both sides of the border. :(
Yep. I read that early this morning as I was heading up to Bristol from Darkest Cornwall in order to skate for a couple of hours. The "energy crisis" - which doesn't appear to be much of a crisis for the likes of the big energy companies as they're all recording record profits - is highly likely to close quite a few rinks, especially the older ones which don't have the benefit of more energy efficient equipment. It's a perilous time for our sport.

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Yep. I read that early this morning as I was heading up to Bristol from Darkest Cornwall in order to skate for a couple of hours. The "energy crisis" - which doesn't appear to be much of a crisis for the likes of the big energy companies as they're all recording record profits - is highly likely to close quite a few rinks, especially the older ones which don't have the benefit of more energy efficient equipment. It's a perilous time for our sport.
This is worrying news, Bristol has already altered its schedule to save costs.

Weetos

Final Flight
Think Swindon have taken the sensible course in closing now to install more energy efficient systems. I worry about some of the independent rinks.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
This is worrying news, Bristol has already altered its schedule to save costs.
Bristol also appears to be compromising on cleaning and repairs to the rubber matting (honestly, how nobody has broken their neck, I'll never know) and turning the dehumidifiers off, which increases the drips... For a very new rink, it's taken a dive in standards over the past 6 months.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ayr is closing due to energy costs: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66036357 Wouldn't be surprised if more follow on both sides of the border. :(

Reading that story sent a shiver down me, thinking of the impact on skating on this side of the Irish Sea if the rink at Dundonald closed.

And unfortunately, I could see that happening.

For those not familiar with the situation in Northern Ireland, we haven't had a government for over a year (in fact, we haven't had a government for 4 of the last 6 years. The 2 years that we did was because of the pandemic). The Secretary Of State ended up having to set a budget for this year and, due to the rising costs that we are all familiar with and due to making up for overspending in previous years, what he set is not enough to maintain services at their current level never mind improve them. So, swathing cuts are having to be made to all departments.

As an indication of how bad it has got, the Department Of Infrastructure said last week that it may need to switch off all the street lighting in NI for the first 3 months of 2024 to save money. And they have worked out how much it would save, so they are seriously considering it.

I don't know where exactly Dundonald Ice Bowl's funding comes from. But, if a large chunk of it comes from the NI budget, I would be concerned for the future of the rink. Unlike Scotland, curling is not a big thing here. The Ice Bowl only really gets used for public skating sessions, for figure skating, and for the Belfast Giants ice hockey team to train on when the Odyssey Arena isn't available. When finances are as tight as they currently are, an expensive-to-run facility for a sport that does not have many participants is highly likely to lose it's funding.

If the Dundonald Ice Bowl closed, that would mean that the Odyssey Arena would be the only permanent ice rink on the whole island. But, the Odyssey doubles up as NI's main concert and events venue. With this in mind, I can't imagine that figure skaters would get the opportunity to train as often as they need.

It really makes you realise how precarious things are when the whole sport on the whole island is reliant on just one rink. It would be a totally different situation if the Dundalk Ice Dome and / or the rink at the Jet Centre in Coleraine were still open and able to provide a back-up option. But they're not.

So for the future of the sport on the whole of the Ireland, let's hope that the Dundonald Ice Bowl can make it through the financial difficulties that Northern Ireland is currently facing.

CaroLiza_fan

Status
Not open for further replies.