Cappellini and Lanotte: "Extremely proud" | Golden Skate

Cappellini and Lanotte: "Extremely proud"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Italy’s Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte finished sixth in the Free Dance (108.34) and overall (184.91). The 2014 World champions delivered an engaging routine to music from La Vita e Bella which featured a difficult stationary lift and strong level 4 twizzles, however, the team received a one-point deduction on an extended lift (straight line).

“It was obviously a big, big, big emotion because as of yesterday, we were one point off the podium,” said Cappellini. “Even though we were in fifth place, we wanted to put our bid in for a medal. All day, we tried to stayed focused. We’re really proud of what we were able to do out there.”

“There was a deduction again, which we seem to be fond of these days,”she joked, “but I don’t think it would have mattered much today. We left our heart out there. We’re happy with what we did. Now to worlds (2018 World Figure Skating Championships, in March).”

“We don’t know, we don’t know,” added Lanotte of the deduction, “but as Anna said, it didn’t matter because even with that point, we didn’t have enough to stay in front of the Russians or the other teams. It’s fine.”

“I think we can be extremely proud,” said Cappellini of their third and final Olympics. “It’s been a long career. We’re very proud of our journey, our improvements, our achievements. Today it was proof of our ability to give emotion and handle pressure, which is extremely important for any athlete to perform on the right day.”

More...

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
Congrats to Anna and Luca! I was especially happy for their high placement in the SD as this was a really strong program from them! :luv17:

cell

On the Ice
Love them. Can't wait to see them in Milan.

But prefer the white dress.. anyone else?

anyanka

Record Breaker
They should have placed a bit higher, but the quality of the skates was so strong last night it was tough to break through.

I'm hoping they get on the podium next month in Milan, on home ice! :clap: If V/M have retired, assuming ShibSibs as the top Americans retire or decide to do DWTS instead, and B/S saying (in the other thread) that they're done and missing worlds, if we go by the top three left, that Anna and Luca have a shot at a medal. At the very least, they will have the chance to finish their careers at home. This is probably one of my favourite dance teams who have never won an Olympic medal and I hope they get a beautiful finish to their careers next month.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the white clashed with his top, to be honest. That red was gorgeous against her skin.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Love them and the program and will root for them at Worlds...but have to disagree about the dress. :biggrin: It knocked my socks off because it was so simple and elegant, and also because of how the fabric moved so beautifully. And the color!!! :love: Bottom line: it's one of my favorite dresses in this Olympics and I thought Anna looked absolutely stunning in it.

But seriously and aside from the fashion gushing, IMO the program is truly special and that was a very special performance. They told the story and I was completely drawn into it. Congratulations on a wonderful skate!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Really looking forward to seeing them in Milan, preferably Anna in the white dress. Best part, Anna's husband has been doing just as well this olympics, and I sincerely hope both - in their different disciplines - will medal in Milan.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought the FD program had real character and sort felt like the way a classic novel reads. It unfolds with subtly and slowly captures your attention and drifts about but has a feel to it that never goes away. I just love them and am so happy every time they take the ice. My favorites of Ice Dance!

slider11

Medalist
Milan will be a fitting goodbye for C/L. I really hope they do well and a podium finish would be great. Presuming Papdakis and Cizeron remain, the gold is pretty much locked for them. It sounds likely that V/M are done and maybe Bobrova and Soliev. As previously mentioned maybe Chock and Bates withdraw for injury. The Shibs are a question, too, as they have been on the Worlds podium for silver and bronze so why repeat unless they just want to remain in the conversation for next year. I honestly think they may move on. The remaining top 10 teams are likely still in the picture at least for Worlds. It will be interesting to see what Hubbell/Donahue and Weaver/Poje do. W/P have a strong following in Asia and may choose to go professional and make the most of that after Worlds. If W/P hang on I would suggest they find a different coach. H/D might hang on but the sexy, steamy thing is going to get old so they'd need to spread their wings. How's Gaby/Guillaume; Anna/Luca and Piper/Paul for a World's podium!

Eclair

Medalist
Can someone create their LP music? I could listen to it for days.

probably not the exact version of it, but it's form the movie: 'Life is Beautiful' (wonderful movie, you should definetly check out if you haven't seen it yet).