Carolina Kostner's LP from the 2010 Vancouver Olympics has disappeared from Youtube.. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner's LP from the 2010 Vancouver Olympics has disappeared from Youtube..

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I will never understand why NBC/USOC made it so hard to find videos of the 2010 Olympics. ... Did they somehow plan to make money off of the videos? ...

IMHO, the 2010 videos on NBC's site were not hard to find. :think:
And of course NBC wanted to make money off of them, and I don't blame them. NBC paid over $800 million for the Vancouver rights, and ended up losing money.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

npavel

On the Ice
The truth is that all the competitions where YuNa Kim was in, has a lot of vids remuved from YouTube. Both worlds 2011 and 2013 has a lot of vids removed in the ladies. I was looking for both, Asada and Carolina from these competitions and they disappeard. I read it was the Korean TV who complained. And I don't understand why they get these vids removed ad they was from other TV stations :(. So nothing to do with a single skater or single competition, but with Korean TV station. Some performances posted in a second time are up, but short after competitions they were gone

MiRé

Match Penalty
The truth is that all the competitions where YuNa Kim was in, has a lot of vids remuved from YouTube. Both worlds 2011 and 2013 has a lot of vids removed in the ladies. I was looking for both, Asada and Carolina from these competitions and they disappeard. I read it was the Korean TV who complained. And I don't understand why they get these vids removed ad they was from other TV stations :(. So nothing to do with a single skater or single competition, but with Korean TV station. Some performances posted in a second time are up, but short after competitions they were gone

Can you give us the link where you "read" this from

npavel

On the Ice
Can you give us the link where you "read" this from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpqiQRD-y4g&list=PLi6CE-gEal5dVGn-QQK1FjS7FaWnf9-js
if you wait the explanation is SBS has blocked due to copy right. But it is the italian version and the Rai had the rights too. That's why I was so upset. And it's not only Carolinas, but Mao Asada and many other too.

The same for worlds 2011
now there is any explanation now, but some time ago it was the same by SBS.

The finnish vids are still awayable: they were the only ones some times ago: by FigureSkatingArts seems to be stronger than SBS

Kirk

Rinkside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpqiQRD-y4g&list=PLi6CE-gEal5dVGn-QQK1FjS7FaWnf9-js
if you wait the explanation is SBS has blocked due to copy right. But it is the italian version and the Rai had the rights too. That's why I was so upset. And it's not only Carolinas, but Mao Asada and many other too.

The same for worlds 2011
now there is any explanation now, but some time ago it was the same by SBS.

The finnish vids are still awayable: they were the only ones some times ago: by FigureSkatingArts seems to be stronger than SBS

that is so fishy.

thinspread

On the Ice
that is so fishy.

Yes, it is fishy. On several occasions over the years some Yuna Kim fans went forward and sent inquiries to SBS about the copyright deletion of Yuna Kim vedios from Youtube. SBS has consistently denied their involvement.

It's been going on for several years, especially with the mega-hit Yuna Kim videos. Many Kim fans, including me, have been suspecting it's some Japanese who's been doing this - false representing themselves as SBS and deleting vedios. Asian hub of Youtube is located in Japan. It it's true, they wouldn't want the smoking gun directed to a single spot, to cover up their intended target.

I suspect they want to erase Yuna Kim from Youtube. It that's the case, it's truly outrageous, they are too nationalistic, and can't be considered a fan of this sport, or any sport for that matter.

CarneAsada

Medalist
It's been going on for several years, especially with the mega-hit Yuna Kim videos. Many Kim fans, including me, have been suspecting it's some Japanese who's been doing this - false representing themselves as SBS and deleting vedios. Asian hub of Youtube is located in Japan. It it's true, they wouldn't want the smoking gun directed to a single spot, to cover up their intended target.

I suspect they want to erase Yuna Kim from Youtube. It that's the case, it's truly outrageous, they are too nationalistic, and can't be considered a fan of this sport, or any sport for that matter.
That doesn't explain the deletion of other skaters' videos. When I searched for Vancouver Olympics LP videos, I saw 6 different versions of Kim's FS on the first results page: British coverage (the video has been up for 2 years with over 1 million views), NBC coverage, German coverage, Canadian coverage, another NBC version, and another British version.

Compare that to Joannie Rochette: 0 televised versions of her FS on the first results page and 1 fancam.
Miki Ando: 0 televised versions (all SP or other competitions).
Mao Asada, 0 televised versions, 1 abbreviated fancam, 1 comparison video (although there was one version with British commentary that was up for a long time - seems like a recent deletion).

I doubt it's SBS that is actually deleting the videos, but I also highly doubt that it's some coven of Japanese ultra-nationalists doing the deletions, and given the way Kim's videos get reuploaded very frequently, her fans have little grounds for complaints about her being specifically targeted.

jaylee

Medalist
I doubt it's SBS that is actually deleting the videos, but I also highly doubt that it's some coven of Japanese ultra-nationalists doing the deletions, and given the way Kim's videos get reuploaded very frequently, her fans have little grounds for complaints about her being specifically targeted.

You have it backwards. They absolutely do have a right to complain. Yu-Na's fans respond to the deletion of videos by re-uploading additional versions of the videos.

I have skating videos for numerous skaters in my "favorites" section for Youtube, and Yu-Na's videos absolutely do get targeted the most (once a video is removed, it remains in my favorites list so I can see what's no longer there). There was even one channel, username "gogi", that only had videos of Yu-Na's junior videos from 2005-2006. They never updated or uploaded anything since that time. After the 2010 Olympics, that channel was taken down later in the year due to copyright claims. Yu-Na's junior competition videos.

I have seen other skaters videos get taken down since then, and don't get replaced as frequently. It's such a shame, probably done by someone trying to cover their tracks and their motivation for deleting Yu-Na's videos. It's truly disgusting and a gigantic pain for any skating fan.

As for who is responsible, there are plenty of videos claiming Yu-Na is "hated" by other skaters, and those are clearly produced by "Japanese ultra-nationalists" as you put it. I don't see why people who would do that wouldn't also be trying to delete videos of Yu-na's skating career and her greatest accomplishments. Happy to send you proof via PM if you want to see it.

CarneAsada

Medalist
You have it backwards. They absolutely do have a right to complain. Yu-Na's fans respond to the deletion of videos by re-uploading additional versions of the videos.

I have skating videos for numerous skaters in my "favorites" section for Youtube, and Yu-Na's videos absolutely do get targeted the most (once a video is removed, it remains in my favorites list so I can see what's no longer there). There was even one channel, username "gogi", that only had videos of Yu-Na's junior videos from 2005-2006. They never updated or uploaded anything since that time. After the 2010 Olympics, that channel was taken down later in the year due to copyright claims. Yu-Na's junior competition videos.

I have seen other skaters videos get taken down since then, and don't get replaced as frequently. It's such a shame, probably done by someone trying to cover their tracks and their motivation for deleting Yu-Na's videos. It's truly disgusting and a gigantic pain for any skating fan.

As for who is responsible, there are plenty of videos claiming Yu-Na is "hated" by other skaters, and those are clearly produced by "Japanese ultra-nationalists" as you put it. I don't see why people who would do that wouldn't also be trying to delete videos of Yu-na's skating career and her greatest accomplishments. Happy to send you proof via PM if you want to see it.
Oh, I absolutely don't doubt that Yu-na has her haters, rather crazy ones at that. But I do doubt that other skaters' videos are getting deleted to cover Yu-na haters' tracks. Seriously, a Japanese ultra-nationalist deleting Miki Ando and Mao Asada's videos to cover tracks, along with uploading things like "MAO ASADA IS A CHEATER" and "Mao Asada, whale eating Japanese skater"? I don't think so. I wasn't able to find videos hating on Carolina Kostner, so I'm guessing most of the problems stem from Korea/Japan nonsense. When I say Yu-na fans don't have that much to complain about, I'm referring to the quick replacement of removed videos. No one else gets their videos replaced like that with so many different versions. It might be inconvenient for a favorites list, but that's what downloading the video is for.

jaylee

Medalist
Oh, I absolutely don't doubt that Yu-na has her haters, rather crazy ones at that. But I do doubt that other skaters' videos are getting deleted to cover Yu-na haters' tracks. Seriously, a Japanese ultra-nationalist deleting Miki Ando and Mao Asada's videos to cover tracks, along with uploading things like "MAO ASADA IS A CHEATER" and "Mao Asada, whale eating Japanese skater"? I don't think so.

Um, I don't think that was exactly what was being argued. No, I don't think that Japanese ultra-nationalists are uploading things like "MAO ASADA IS A CHEATER" to cover up their tracks. Obviously, that's the work of Mao's haters. I have no idea why you said that, though, since that's not the argument.

I do think videos of skaters such as Carolina Kostner may possibly be deleted to cover up tracks of those who want to delete Yu-Na videos, or, such videos simply get caught up in mass deletion. For example, entire channels have been deleted if they have copyrighted content and they received multiple complaints. So if that channel includes videos of other skaters, such as Carolina and Miki and Mao, then it all gets wiped out. It's also possible that some uber Yu-Na fans retaliate with video deleting of their own.

When I say Yu-na fans don't have that much to complain about, I'm referring to the quick replacement of removed videos. No one else gets their videos replaced like that with so many different versions. It might be inconvenient for a favorites list, but that's what downloading the video is for.

Why shouldn't they complain when they upload videos, it gets deleted, and they have to create a new channel and upload videos again? Why shouldn't they complain when videos with extremely high video counts accumulated over the years get deleted? You're still not getting it. The quick replacement of removed videos is all due to the extra hard work and effort of Yu-Na's fans as part of a response to something that shouldn't be happening--the concerted effort to delete Yu-Na's videos. I myself have never uploaded a single broadcast video of Yu-Na, because I don't want to risk getting my account suspended. Thankfully, other Yu-na fans do step up and I appreciate their efforts. But yes, Yu-Na fans, or any skating fan, have every right to complain about the targeting of skater videos/Yu-Na videos in the first place. No skater's videos should be targeted for deletion. Period. Fans of every skater have a right to complain, and yes, when videos disappear at an unusually high rate, then fans have even more of a right to complain.

The right of fans to complain about the cause isn't reduced just because the fans have come up with a back-up solution that takes a heck of a lot of time and effort.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Um, I don't think that was exactly what was being argued. No, I don't think that Japanese ultra-nationalists are uploading things like "MAO ASADA IS A CHEATER" to cover up their tracks. Obviously, that's the work of Mao's haters. I have no idea why you said that, though, since that's not the argument.

I do think videos of skaters such as Carolina Kostner may possibly be deleted to cover up tracks of those who want to delete Yu-Na videos, or, such videos simply get caught up in mass deletion. For example, entire channels have been deleted if they have copyrighted content and they received multiple complaints. So if that channel includes videos of other skaters, such as Carolina and Miki and Mao, then it all gets wiped out. It's also possible that some uber Yu-Na fans retaliate with video deleting of their own.

Why shouldn't they complain when they upload videos, it gets deleted, and they have to create a new channel and upload videos again? Why shouldn't they complain when videos with extremely high video counts accumulated over the years get deleted? You're still not getting it. The quick replacement of removed videos is all due to the extra hard work and effort of Yu-Na's fans as part of a response to something that shouldn't be happening--the concerted effort to delete Yu-Na's videos. I myself have never uploaded a single broadcast video of Yu-Na, because I don't want to risk getting my account suspended. Thankfully, other Yu-na fans do step up and I appreciate their efforts. But yes, Yu-Na fans, or any skating fan, have every right to complain about the targeting of skater videos/Yu-Na videos in the first place. No skater's videos should be targeted for deletion. Period. Fans of every skater have a right to complain, and yes, when videos disappear at an unusually high rate, then fans have even more of a right to complain.

The right of fans to complain about the cause isn't reduced just because the fans have come up with a back-up solution that takes a heck of a lot of time and effort.
I mentioned those videos to point out that Yuna is not the only one with rabid nationalist haters on YouTube; was there much more of a point to your original mentioning of the "skaters hate Yuna" videos? I simply provided an example for another skater. I'm saying it's better to have fellow fans dedicated enough to frequently upload multiple versions of a skater's performances, all subtitled, than to have the videos deleted or blocked without having them replaced. You're right that none of the videos should be deleted in the first place, but that is a general problem with YouTube, where they delete first before asking questions.

Alex D

Record Breaker
but that is a general problem with YouTube, where they delete first before asking questions.

Well, many videos are deleted for a reason. As Doris said in her post, you have many copyright infringements that are the cause of the removal. I highly doubt that fans or skaters go to YT and report videos.

Maybe my believe in our figure skating world is naïve, but ya I doubt that this really happens and even if, YT needs a reason for a strike. They don't just delete stuff for fun, especially since you can protest against a strike.

Every strike you get, offers you the chance for an explanation. But since most video uploads don't have the required rights, they get removed sooner or later. Music labels run algorithmic searches every now and then, if they detect a pattern of their own music they automatically send a mail to YT.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, it is fishy. On several occasions over the years some Yuna Kim fans went forward and sent inquiries to SBS about the copyright deletion of Yuna Kim vedios from Youtube. SBS has consistently denied their involvement.

Unlikely.

Please check on youtube how this is done.

You cannot delete other people's videos.

If you complain that you own another's video, you have to provide some proof that you actually own it.

It is Youtube itself that removes the videos, on receipt & investigation of a complaint.

npavel

On the Ice
I didn't mean to bring up such a discussion. I only noticed that there was many vids of high ranked skaters from worlds disappeared and noticed the reason was SBS. I never questioned if it was really so and saw that other television performances had the same reason of being cancelled. A time later others had loaded vids. I enjoy the possibility to watch them and are sad when whatever the reason they are removed.

thinspread

On the Ice
Unlikely.

Please check on youtube how this is done.

You cannot delete other people's videos.

If you complain that you own another's video, you have to provide some proof that you actually own it.

It is Youtube itself that removes the videos, on receipt & investigation of a complaint.

Yes, that is supposed to be the rule, doris. I know that much. But, is it consistent with reality? I myself had a few first-hand experiences with MY OWN VIDEOS which count as exceptions to your naive perception of the rule.

ivy

On the Ice
Every skating video of a Olympic, ISU, USFSA, SkateCananda etc competition that is up on a YouTube channel that is not run by an organizing body or broadcaster (NBC, Eurosport etc) that has secured rights from an organizing body, is in copyright infringement and therefore illegal. People who chose to post them are pirating content and could be prosecuted by a government or sued by the copyright holder. It is no different then uploading your favorite TV show or song.

I do think the the ISU should do a better job providing post competition videos on YouTube or their own website, as they do for the JGP.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Even if you took your own videos, thinspread, you did not own them, unless you own the music rights, have the agreement of the skater, and location that ran the event.

I have plenty of experience with youtube, having had all my videos deleted, including ones of my grandchildren, because I posted a video of the 10th place couple at 2003 worlds in ice dance, who happened to be skating to a John Lennon medley.

My grandson got an initial warning (at age 10) for posting a video of himself, playing the guitar and singing John Lennon's Christmas song.

Yoko is Fierce.

There are very few skating videos on youtube that are strictly legal. Some local competitions allow filming, providing you are not compensated for the video. If you accept Google ads on your video, you would technically be in violation of that requirement. Even if the location did not declare such a requirement, if any of the music cuts the skater skates to are not public domain, your video is at risk from the owner.

If your videos disappeared, and you did not shoot those videos yourself, and you are not the skater yourself, those videos are pirate videos.

What is true about youtube is that once they remove your videos, despite giving you a link to protest with, Youtube never even gives you the courtesy of reading your emails. You will have to hire a lawyer, I guess.

What I protested was that not only they deleted all my videos, they also deleted my google mail id, and my website for a totally non skating or video related activity. They never gave me even the favor of an acknowledgment that they had done so, despite the fact that they had merged my Google & Youtube ids all on their own hook.

I no longer upload videos to youtube, because they are all at risk; it isn't worth the efforrt.

I recommend the same to you.

It is not some bone headed conspiracy against Yu Na Kim & her fans :rolleye:

It is part of the consequences of the Napster court decision on free music distribution, and the push in the UK to protect soccer matches from being uploaded. Skating vids are just collateral damage in an effort to protect copyright on line.