Championnats de France ELITE 2008 (French Nationals) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Championnats de France ELITE 2008 (French Nationals)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No, I'm just being stupid. I forgot for the moment that Delobel and Schoenfelder are not long-term injured or perhaps that Carron and Jost existed, I don't know.

rosee

On the Ice
The results in dance isn't that surprising. Blanc & Bouquet's weakness is the technique and their lack of COP friendly programs. They even went to Igor Shpillband this summer to try to get more COP friendly programs.
OTOH Findlay & Richaud have been to the JGP. In juniors the Technical mark is the most important. That's their main focus because they have to have high TES if they want to be competitive. And because they train in Lyon, they can have feedbacks on the elements the 3 seniors teams are doing too.

rosee

On the Ice
Well, they only got 2 spots for Worlds so I guess Joubert and Ponsero? But you'll never know. They should send those two in my opinion, Préaubert didn't even manage to qualify for the GPF despite 4 impeccable performances on the circuit, he just doesn't get enough GOE and PCS.

Poor Amodio, I doubt they will send him to Euros (which would be the fair reward in my opinion, 142 points sound strong, must have been nearly as good as last week at the JGPF). He would deserve it, but I don't think they will leave Préaubert at home. But Amodio's score is just 7 points shy of Ponsero's...

They'll decide tomorrow (monday). We'll see...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
At least the guy has his priorities straight - he only regrets that he didn't face Brian, that he looks forward to that at Europeans and that he expects a podium place at Europeans. Well, I kind of expect that too.
He's certainly got a good shot at it, since Brian's health status is still unknown and Verner is so inconsistent - and the other contenders have been up and down this year. But Ponsero himself hasn't been a model of consistency (Skate Canada LP being a good example). I hope he does manage to hold it together and do well, especially if it means we'll see that hilarious exhibition of his in the gala :agree:.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
OMG!
I can't understand how Blanc & Bouquet's PCS was lower than Findlay & Richaud's!

As for men's what an event! I haven't watched the LP yet (it's on tv tomorrow), but it is surprising! Alban had had such a great season, in theory he was the one that was going to become French champ. Technicaly, he's an extremely stable skater, so it must have been the pressure that he couldn't handle. As for Yannick, congrats! I'm delighted for him, although I must say I'm not so keen on this year's LP. Concerning Amodio, this result confirms his talent, and confirms my thoughts for the last two seasons, that after 2010, he'll be THE French skater.

Regarding who'll be sent to what competition, (if I'm not mistaken, for the Euros, we've got three slots), The usual three will probably be sent (Brian, Alban and Yannick) and the decision for world's will probably be taken after the Euros. It'll be tricky if Brian is beaten by both (this season is looking as desasterous as the olympic one).

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Regarding who'll be sent to what competition, (if I'm not mistaken, for the Euros, we've got three slots), The usual three will probably be sent (Brian, Alban and Yannick) and the decision for world's will probably be taken after the Euros. It'll be tricky if Brian is beaten by both (this season is looking as desasterous as the olympic one).
There are three slots for Euros. There would have been three for Worlds, I think, had Alban not dropped out. The fairest thing, assuming Joubert's healthy and does both events, would be to look at it as three slots (one for Worlds, two for Europeans) and give each guy one. Well, maybe they won't consider it so fair :cool:.

As for Preaubert and Ponsero both beating Brian at Europeans, I think it's too soon to write him off. He was discounted after TEB and came back with a wonderful SP at CoR. If he comes back in good shape physically, I imagine his results will be good and it'll be a confidence boost. And Yannick won Nats with a much lower score than Brian's last year.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
As for Preaubert and Ponsero both beating Brian at Europeans, I think it's too soon to write him off. He was discounted after TEB and came back with a wonderful SP at CoR. If he comes back in good shape physically, I imagine his results will be good and it'll be a confidence boost. And Yannick won Nats with a much lower score than Brian's last year.

I'm not writing Brian off, I, mean we've seen do spectacular comebacks. Moreover, I want him to win the Euros! The thing is though, as Jean-Christophe Simon put it, Brian is completely lacking in confidence right now. I think Brian being beaten by both Yannick and Alban isn't all that likely, and I'm not even sure one of them will beat him. I just think that it is a very slight possibility, but one that shouldn't be excluded. It all depends on Brian's mental shape. Saying that, the fact that he hasn't had the best of seasons might make it easier for him to win gold, as there might be less pressure than usual.
I also think that Brian should work on the choreography of his LP; granted he's had very genereous grades, but it might not last.

As for Amodio, I think the ffsg will send him to the junior worlds, to try and get him to win a medal, if not the title.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm not writing Brian off, I, mean we've seen do spectacular comebacks. Moreover, I want him to win the Euros! The thing is though, as Jean-Christophe Simon put it, Brian is completely lacking in confidence right now. I think Brian being beaten by both Yannick and Alban isn't all that likely, and I'm not even sure one of them will beat him. I just think that it is a very slight possibility, but one that shouldn't be excluded. It all depends on Brian's mental shape. Saying that, the fact that he hasn't had the best of seasons might make it easier for him to win gold, as there might be less pressure than usual.
I also think that Brian should work on the choreography of his LP; granted he's had very genereous grades, but it might not last.
I know the self-confidence issue is back for him, and I hope he and Simond can sort that out, as well as the LP choreo. Joubert's results so far this year haven't been great but they haven't been catastrophic, so hopefully he can get back on track. He does have a strong SP and he's shown that he can skate it well, so that would be a good starting point.

I'm not sure he'll have less pressure, most people still see it as Brian vs. Tomas, and the latter hasn't looked great this season, either.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
The logical thing to do is send the experienced trio to Euros (Joubert, Preaubert, Ponsero) and the two who do best there will go to Worlds. As for Amodio, send him to Jr. Worlds where he's a contender for gold and will acumulate enough points and status for 2 assignments on the Senior GP next year.. It's a shame that one of these 4 great guys (or maybe 2 if things dont go well in L.A.) will miss the olympics in Vancouver.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I know the self-confidence issue is back for him, and I hope he and Simond can sort that out, as well as the LP choreo. Joubert's results so far this year haven't been great but they haven't been catastrophic, so hopefully he can get back on track. He does have a strong SP and he's shown that he can skate it well, so that would be a good starting point.

I'm not sure he'll have less pressure, most people still see it as Brian vs. Tomas, and the latter hasn't looked great this season, either.

Well it isn't really an issue for Tomas, as the beginning of each season never really is good for him. Just look at last year! I remeber his peformance at the TEB - loads of mistakes! yet he still became European champion. So I'm not really worried about Tomas.

Coming back to the French guys, it wouldn't be surprising if Brian turned out to be the one that handles it better mentaly. Yannick and Alban both have high expectations from the federation and fans, their expected to get a medal, something they're not used to. Brian is used to being in the situation he's in.

I think this situation suites Tomas best, as he's seen as a wild card, even though he is the reigning champion.

I believe Yannik has that underlying 'charisma approach' which keeps the judges wanting him to do well, and fans, like me. Preaubert had it, but it has simmered down.

I agree Amodio should skate Junior Worlds, He has a shot at gold there which will look better in his portfolio in 2010.

I think with Brian and Yannik at 2009 Worlds there is a better chance to get 13 points for the Olys, and who will be the three is another story later.

As for Brian, he had a very danceable SP at CoR. Why did he go back to metronome music for the LP?

Nice to see Candice moving up to be a contender in Euros.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
NatachaHatawa, rosee,

Did you happen to come across any interviews with Alban Preaubert (in French)? Am wondering how he explains his defeat. Thanks in advance.

rosee

On the Ice
I think with Brian and Yannik at 2009 Worlds there is a better chance to get 13 points for the Olys, and who will be the three is another story later.

It's tough for worlds. For me Yannick is still the one who's likely to bomb under pressure. And Alban seem to be doing well only when Brian is there :laugh:

rosee

On the Ice
This is all I found:

The biggest loser of the day was Alban Préaubert, 1st after the SP, but who fell right at the begining of his program, on a quad, and then lost the grip on his "Kalinka".
"I am disappointed of my performance. The first elemnts were catastrophic and then, I couldn't get in my program. Yet, I'm in a great shape and I do flawless programs in practice. It's a punctual failure and it doesn't question the work I've done" He relativized

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Well it isn't really an issue for Tomas, as the beginning of each season never really is good for him. Just look at last year! I remeber his peformance at the TEB - loads of mistakes! yet he still became European champion. So I'm not really worried about Tomas.

Coming back to the French guys, it wouldn't be surprising if Brian turned out to be the one that handles it better mentaly. Yannick and Alban both have high expectations from the federation and fans, their expected to get a medal, something they're not used to. Brian is used to being in the situation he's in.
No, what I meant was that since Brian is one of two skaters to be considered serious contenders for the top of the podium, there is more pressure than I'd like for him right now. I hope he does well and that he'll have an improved version of his LP for us.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
The logical thing to do is send the experienced trio to Euros (Joubert, Preaubert, Ponsero) and the two who do best there will go to Worlds. As for Amodio, send him to Jr. Worlds where he's a contender for gold and will acumulate enough points and status for 2 assignments on the Senior GP next year.. It's a shame that one of these 4 great guys (or maybe 2 if things dont go well in L.A.) will miss the olympics in Vancouver.

Things like this could happen sometimes, very rarely though. Remember when Russia took in women in Europe 1,2,3 and sometimes, the one left home was good enough to be fourth? Just nine years ago Slutskaya was left at home.
Now in France, I think the top 3 could be in the top 5 at Euros easily. I like the fact that Ponsero keeps improving this season as he goes along.Every appearance can boost his confidence. I am Canadian and on the interview with CBC he said he is aiming for top 5 in the world, so he is on the right track:)
I just like his athletic style and the fact that he is working on improving his presentation as well.

rosee

On the Ice
OMG!
I can't understand how Blanc & Bouquet's PCS was lower than Findlay & Richaud's!

Ans I think F&R went back to their old FD. The mission one. That one looked like they had spend around 2 min doing it. So I don't understand either.