Changes on US team for Worlds | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Changes on US team for Worlds

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yeah, I'm glad that the alternates were training mates so they would have a "heads up"!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
It seems that Ashley has checked out for now - if Raf said she wasn't training well before Nationals, she certainly wouldn't have much motivation afterwards.
I like Ashley btw and would have liked to see La La Land again. For me it was honestly the only memorable ladies program at Nationals.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Wagner just posted this
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgZcGNqgYHy/?taken-by=ashwagner2010

It sounds as Wagner told Bell in January that she would not take up her spot if offered.

Ashley just posted on Twitter that her decision to cut back on training was made based on "listening to (her) heart and body" and that she accordingly made Mariah aware then that she would not accept an alternate spot to Worlds if she was called on to do so.

That would imply that she has not fully recovered from her injury earlier in the season or that there is another or nagging injury. She is not young in terms of this sport.

It is possible that USFSA knew that as well. They aren't obligated to tell press and fans everything.
Well, first, is nice from Ashley to give Mariah not only a notice of what it is to comer, but to give her a complete endorsement on worlds.

And with this I hope people get off her case about not being responsible.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Happy to see Mariah and Deanna/Nate compete again. :yay:

Hope that Tarah/Danny are OK and that things work out for Karen next season.

US Fed did a terrible jod of handling the Ashley situation. This was obviously going to happen. If I remember correctly she wasn't named as the first alternate to the Olympics and they should have guessed that it wasn't a good idea to do that for the Worlds either. ...

As Mathman said, USFS *did* name Ashley as first alternate for 2018 OWG.
She declined to compete at 2018 Four Continents, and she declined to compete at 2018 Worlds. Her choices to make, and she made them. I wish her well.

(That said, I am confused after seeing her new Instagram post a few minutes ago. IIRC, she had said after declining Four Continents that she was training for a competition. If she decided "a few months ago" to "take an intentional season of rest away from skating," does that mean she had decided a few months ago to decline the alternate spot for Worlds? What comp was she training for? OWG, where she was going to have an off-ice role? Not that any of it matters at this point. Water under the bridge.)

Based on his Instagram posts, Nathan may be dating a guy but I'm not sure. Do guy friends call each other "bae"? (https://www.instagram.com/p/BVK6Gg-g55N/?taken-by=nathanwchen)

Off topic, but I do not think it is uncommon for guy friends to call each other "bae."

Nathan and Seb Payannet are just good buddies, I think. As Mrs. P said, Nathan used to date Amber. And IIRC, Seb has had a girlfriend.

evasorange

Final Flight
Ashley fans just can’t catch a break! US fed really effed it up in choosing Karen over Ashley for both the Olympics and the worlds team. Technically since they give out pewter medals Ashley was on the podium at nationals so they should have put her in worlds. Anyone paying attention to Karen this season saw this coming a mile away. She had a worse season then Ashley(and really any of the top us ladies) and was gifted majorly by the judges at nationals because she didn’t have a train wreck meltdown. Now they will pay the price because there’s no way we retain three spots unless some of the big girls have meltdowns. It didn’t have to be this way!

And to be completely honest, yes the double standard is ridiculous. Jason had no business being the first alternate body of work or not. It was once again US fed playing games and giving out major gifts. He gave no legitimate reason as to why he would turn this opportunity down. And yet! I barely saw one bad word said against him. I get it he’s Jason and sweet and nice and not abrasive like Ashley but come on.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley fans just can’t catch a break! US fed really effed it up in choosing Karen over Ashley for both the Olympics and the worlds team. Technically since they give out pewter medals Ashley was on the podium at nationals so they should have put her in worlds.

While I think Ashley and Ross should have gotten Worlds spots, shuffling around the other skaters as needed to accomplish this fairly, I still don't think Ashley would have accepted the Worlds spot. She's competed in seven Worlds but only one Olympics, so I think her eyes were set on that Olympic spot.

mrrice

Record Breaker
While I think Ashley and Ross should have gotten Worlds spots, shuffling around the other skaters as needed to accomplish this fairly, I still don't think Ashley would have accepted the Worlds spot. She's competed in seven Worlds but only one Olympics, so I think her eyes were set on that Olympic spot.

I certainly feel for Ross. 99% of the time, the medalists at Nationals get a spot on the team. It's one thing to pass him for the Olympics but Worlds.....That's a head scratcher....Is it possible they asked him and he said no? I love Max and I couldn't be happier for him but, I do feel for Ross.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I certainly feel for Ross. 99% of the time, the medalists at Nationals get a spot on the team. It's one thing to pass him for the Olympics but Worlds.....That's a head scratcher....Is it possible they asked him and he said no? I love Max and I couldn't be happier for him but, I do feel for Ross.

Ross turned down Worlds. He was second alternate so would have had the opportunity after Jason decided not to take the spot.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I like Ashley btw and would have liked to see La La Land again. For me it was honestly the only memorable ladies program at Nationals.

I 'think' I liked LLL, but I never saw the movie and Tara wouldn't shut up at the opening so I have no idea what the words were that were spoken.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ashley fans just can’t catch a break! US fed really effed it up in choosing Karen over Ashley for both the Olympics and the worlds team. Technically since they give out pewter medals Ashley was on the podium at nationals so they should have put her in worlds. Anyone paying attention to Karen this season saw this coming a mile away. She had a worse season then Ashley(and really any of the top us ladies) and was gifted majorly by the judges at nationals because she didn’t have a train wreck meltdown. Now they will pay the price because there’s no way we retain three spots unless some of the big girls have meltdowns. It didn’t have to be this way!

And to be completely honest, yes the double standard is ridiculous. Jason had no business being the first alternate body of work or not. It was once again US fed playing games and giving out major gifts. He gave no legitimate reason as to why he would turn this opportunity down. And yet! I barely saw one bad word said against him. I get it he’s Jason and sweet and nice and not abrasive like Ashley but come on.

The key difference, I suppose, is that Jason DID compete at 4CC just three weeks after Nationals and did well by winning a medal. Also I suppose the whole coaching change rumor probably made people less prone to question his decision to not attend Worlds. And FWIW, he just posted on Twitter/IG that he's getting a new short program for 2018-2019 and USFS actually re-shared it, so I bet they were aware of his plans and were okay with it.

ETA: It sounds like Ashley made the best decision for her. I never thought she should go through the ringer for this decision and I hope that she recovers enough to do what she needs to do going forward.

Last edited:

georgia

On the Ice
I 'think' I liked LLL, but I never saw the movie and Tara wouldn't shut up at the opening so I have no idea what the words were that were spoken.

Ross did complain. But that has to do with anything’s? How do we know Ashley is not ready to retire? Jason did not skated better that the third place skater either.

- - - Updated - - -

Ross did complain. But that has to do with anything’s? How do we know Ashley is not ready to retire? Jason did not skate better that the third place skater either.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you're Ashley.

If you are Jason, you get congratulated for making a good decision while you sort out next season. And his social media makes it pretty damn clear that he hasn't been training a whole lot since before the Olympics. And certainly not since.

Couple of things here. First, Jason didn't whine and whinge and carry on about how unfair it was that he didn't get to go to the Olympics. Instead, he accepted his spot at 4CC and went and was cheerful and skated great and ended his season on a brilliant high. It also meant he was in skating shape for the Olys which he was first alternate for. And his social media has also shown him at various rinks since the Olympics, obviously skating. He then proceeded to wish Team USA luck and continued on with his plans.

Ashley, meanwhile, spent quite a bit of time griping about the Olympics, then threw away the spot at 4CC the USFS gave her, did not appear to be skating or training before or after the Olympics but rather doing media gigs, and does not appear to have been training according to her social media.

And you wonder why they're treated differently.

For the ten thousandth time, THEY DIDN'T PASS ROSS FOR WORLDS. THEY OFFERED THE SPOT TO ROSS AND ROSS SAID NO. That was how Max got the spot.
They gave Ross 4CC. He turned it down.

They offered Ross the Worlds spot. He turned it down.

Ross' lack of a post-Nationals assignment is HIS FAULT, not USFS'.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ross turned down Worlds. He was second alternate so would have had the opportunity after Jason decided not to take the spot.

The question is whether he should have been awarded the spot outright. Turning down a spot is different than turning down a spot as an alternate, if for no other reason than he would have no guarantee that he would be attending and may be training hard for nothing. I don't usually disagree strongly with how the USFSA handles assignments, but I think they blew it here; 4CC isn't a good enough consolation prize for a silver medalist when there are 6 Olympic and World spots to go around.

nguyhm

On the Ice
Sad about Tarah & Danny, I was really looking forward to seeing them in Milan. Hope they'll do well next season.
Excited for Mariah, wish her the best!
It's water under the bridge and I know that we've been beating this dead horse to death but I really wish that USFS has made their decisions much better in assigning Olympics and World spots this year. Sending Karen and Adam to both Olympics and Worlds was nothing but a disaster = they both ended up going to only one, the Olympics. I think if they had assigned Ross to Olympics and Adam to Worlds or vice versa both men would have been rewarded accordingly - poor Ross, he got the worst case of them all. The same with Ashley although she might have hurt herself when complaining about the scores/judges. I would not have any problems sending Ashley to Olympics and Karen to Worlds - such a sad situation all around - and messy.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The question is whether he should have been awarded the spot outright. Turning down a spot is different than turning down a spot as an alternate, if for no other reason than he would have no guarantee that he would be attending and may be training hard for nothing. I don't usually disagree strongly with how the USFSA handles assignments, but I think they blew it here; 4CC isn't a good enough consolation prize for a silver medalist when there are 6 Olympic and World spots to go around.

With due respect to Ross, if the US men want to retain three spots he shouldn't be anywhere near that World team.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It sounds like Ashley made the best decision for her. I never thought she should go through the ringer for this decision and I hope that she recovers enough to do what she needs to do going forward.

Between 2013 and 2017, Ashley was the highest or second highest American finisher at Worlds, meaning her placement always contributed to the US retaining 3 spots for Worlds/Olympics. (She was also 4th in 2012 when Czisny bombed.) Ashley has done enough for the USFSA that she doesn't owe them another Worlds if she doesn't want it.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Exactly how I'd feel. If they'd offered me an "Alternate" spot, I would have no as well. I'm sure he would have said yes if they'd offered him the spot outright. The alternate spot would have felt like a slap in the face after I'd earned a Silver Medal "When it mattered" under the pressure and bright lights of Nationals...

binky

Rinkside
who are these people that makde such bad decisions. do they have an identity. are they the same people for years on end? they really struck out on this and you could see it coming a mile away

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Between 2013 and 2017, Ashley was the highest or second highest American finisher at Worlds, meaning her placement always contributed to the US retaining 3 spots for Worlds/Olympics. (She was also 4th in 2012 when Czisny bombed.) Ashley has done enough for the USFSA that she doesn't owe them another Worlds if she doesn't want it.

Yeah, I don't feel that strongly about this particular decision with Ashley. I also don't think it was a forgone conclusion that she should have finished above Karen or should have been given the Olympics over her.

I do think that people would be less irritated about this decision had she not made all those comments about other skaters during the Olympics. Even if her comments were justified or whatever -- the perception of throwing shade to competing skaters and then turning around and refusing an opportunity to make a statement on the ice could grate some fans.

Last edited: