2024 Worlds: General Info and Pre-game chat | Golden Skate

2024 Worlds: General Info and Pre-game chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2024 World Figure Skating Championships will take place March 18-24, 2024, in Montreal, Canada, at Centre Bell. Worlds is an annual figure skating competition sanctioned by the International Skating Union. ISU Member nations select their entries according to their own criteria and skaters must be at least sixteen before July 1, 2023.

Skaters/teams participating in the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships must have reached the following Minimum Total Elements Scores during the ongoing season (2023/24) or the immediately preceding season (2022/23):

Minimum Technical Scores (TES)
DisciplineSP/RDFS/FD
Men3464
Women3253
Pairs2946
Ice Dance3552

The Minimum Technical Elements Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 39, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 10 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Rhythm Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3).

While the Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached separately in each segment (not a total of the two segments), the Minimum Technical Elements Score for each segment may be reached at different competitions. The Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached 21 (twenty-one) days before the first day (first official practice day) of the Championships concerned (same as entry deadline).

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Now that most os euro and women and pair event is done .( Dance tbd at 4cc).
I came to some conclusion and excitement about worlds.
The women field is stacked.
While Kaori is the pre favorite and more likely winner 2-3 is up in air
Yes Loena is the most likely to take the title from Kaori. She skated well and gave her great score despite major mistakes.
However there is 5-6 women possibly 7 to medal or win.
Those 7 for me are

The top two more like Gold Kaori and silver Loena or vice versa
1. Isabeau levito despite her mess up at nat'ls. I think she will come back strong and challenge for the medal or title. Her 3rd place finish in Free Skate at gpf. And win despite mistakes. The fact at 4cc Ava was third.
2. Hana yoshida . Her scores and doing well through out the year and her 3 rd place at gpf. She could fill if Kaori messes up as another Japanese
3. Mona Chiba her great win and skate at 4cc makes her a favorite for a medal or if kaori falters. Her 2nd at her nationals helps. If fill with another Japanese and 4cc is a big win.
4. Chaeyong Kim her medal at 4cc her being the most consistent if Korean ladies this season.
5. Amber Glenn our new national champ from the United States
Her drawback is her not skating consistently. Her free skates despite her landing the 3Ashow the tech or judges giving her the big scores. (Not at Skate America or even nationals) her landing didn't get big scores.
6. Haein lee if she puts it together. She is reigning world bronze medalist. Her inconvenient landed her off podium but fill with another Korean skater .
7. Madeline Schizas .her improved score and improvement in skating if others makes a mistake could land her on podium. The world's in Canada tends to favor Canadians .
9. Nina Pinzaronne the 3rd place at Europeans.
10. Anastasia Gubanova her second that some should have thought retain title.
11. Young you if she skates well

If the U. S. Wants a medal at world they have to both skate consistent which Amber has not done .sorry. they seem to want to skate and win with mistakes of artistic that isn't there.
This is my women.
Will do men next.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
The men I don't think as stack as ken. I think it basically a 4-5 way for the title.
It could be Shoma , Yuma ,Ilia and Adam. These are more likely medalist. I think others have outside chance only if the top 4 messes up.

Those top 4 have been most consistent. They will be hard to beat
The others would be Jason, Wesley Chu, Shun Sato, Lukas and junhwa Cha.
Those made the most impression on me.
I think there is a couple more . The up and corners or last year world medalist or euro medalist.
Will he skate well. I was impressed by Yudong chen at 4 cc.

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
The pairs I apologize but don't know that much .
I think will be between Canada and Japan with Germans and french for third
The dance if 4cc isn't done.
That have USA Canada, France and Italy vying for medals

slider11

Medalist
Keen observations, SmileHappy34. I see Kaori as gold for the women-but as you say things can happen. I see Ilia as gold for the men but, again, challenged by Adam and Shoma. I see Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps as gold for pairs but am not a big fan of their LP. The SP, Oxygene, is great. Deanna is a marvel- her fitness and determination are amazing. I do think that her high ambition could become an issue in undermining Max and creating a less-than-stellar program. The Japanese team is coming back from injury so them taking gold would be a surprise but not shocking, especially with Bruno as their coach. I am especially interested in seeing how other pair teams do in Worlds. The US, other Canadian and Italian teams might surprise us. I am rooting for Piper and Paul for ice dance gold but they'll have to get around Madison and Evan. Madison and Evan were ill at Nationals and perhaps will rebound strong-they are certainly judge favorites. But I do think they may have stayed at the party one minute too late. Piper and Paul have this quiet joy and sophistication in their skate that really moves me.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As far as ice dance, I think Piper/Paul's free dance is a lot more compelling than Madison/Evan's. That haunting music, and their acting!

I think I actually want them to win. As far as #3, I think it will be the Italians. I don't think there will be any surprises. Who's #4?
Carreira/Ponamarenko? Their free dance is great too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As far as ice dance, I think Piper/Paul's free dance is a lot more compelling than Madison/Evan's. That haunting music, and their acting!

I think I actually want them to win. As far as #3, I think it will be the Italians. I don't think there will be any surprises. Who's #4?
Carreira/Ponamarenko? Their free dance is great too.
Why C/P? It will be between fear and Gibson and fbs

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
Judges draw by country

Men
Austria, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Spain, France, Israel, South Korea, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey

Women
Bulgaria, Canada, Finland, Hungary, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, USA

Pairs
Australia, Canada, China, Czech Republic, France, Georgia, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Ukraine, USA

Ice Dance
Australia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Lithuania, New Zealand, Poland, Slovakia

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ugh! Fear/Gibson or FB/S. I will be in the audience and I will seriously vomit if that happens. I hate that Rocky dance (Philly gal here) and as for FB/S.......

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I dislike the ROcky FD but the judges like it... What to do ? :)

Also, it's quite possible LaLa will be back and would be normally ahead of CP... even LaLe can do it (they would have done it at 4CC without the illegal lift)...

In any case, i was just curious about what you thought the C/P would finish so highly. I don't really see that happening though I think they have improved a lot since I last saw them skate live this summer.

TarAncalime

On the Ice
I have asked the Skate Canada team for the official hashtag and they are: #WorldsMTL24 and #WorldFigure

Please share!

Does anybody know if we can use the app Sportity at the event?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gala : Patrick, Keegan and others will skate !!!!! So happy ! I never go to galas but for Patrick, you bet i will be there !

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Montreal is cursed for me. Airline went out of business, so both flights are gone for both Mom and I. Of course, I already bought tickets so now I will have to pay 900$ for flights and I dunno if Mom is going to go now. On the phone waiting for credit card company to respond to get tickets refunded for the flights.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Montreal is cursed for me. Airline went out of business, so both flights are gone for both Mom and I. Of course, I already bought tickets so now I will have to pay 900$ for flights and I dunno if Mom is going to go now. On the phone waiting for credit card company to respond to get tickets refunded for the flights.
According to this CBC article, Westjet is offering discounts on economy flights along the same routes affected by the Lynx Air closure. I hope you get your money back and find alternative flights soon!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am so sorry. This sucks. A friend of mine is touring right now with a very large instrument. Same company... now he is stranded because he cannot find a flight for himself and his instrument. I hope you find a solution.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
PS Read the news.... it seems like all flights bought will be refunded. Not a complete lost for you @lariko though i understand new flights may be pricier... UGH... :(