Christine Brennan | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Christine Brennan

mzheng

Record Breaker
She was obviously very nervous when she doing alive interview with skaters rather then being interviewed before the camera. I saw her doing much better in a program aired in New year's counting back of greatness in sports.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I never like her, and I've really had enough after her comments about poor Hamm this summer.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Kuchana said:
Interesting thing she said was that M was trying to get citizenship and if he doesn't, Stiegler may pair with Peter T for Turin.

Interesting, indeed. Making the assumption that this might be true [we have to consider the source after all], doesn't this strike anyone as being just a little CAPRICOUS?? If you have aspirations for the upcoming Olympics, and then turn around and team up with someone who is not yet a citizen, shouldn't this be one of the issues one talks about before pairing up? Granted, Peter was not available at the time Stiegler & Magerovsky hooked up -- but still. Is Magerovsky supposed to be like her TEST MODEL or something to see how succesful she can be in Dance? Like I said, it may not even be true -- but if it is, I for one say that if Stiegler in fact does this, as much as I like Peter T, I will definitely be rooting heavily against them next season as I think this kind of thing is flat-out RUDE. And it's a variation of this kind of mentality that partly explains the sorry state of Pairs skating in this country at the moment.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
JohnnyCoop, I would say that if Brennan's information is correct, then the same one is available to Sergei. He is an adult, and can make his own decisions. I would find it hard to imagine him not being privy to the informatin that a reporter has.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi Jonny,

So, besides Tiffany Steigler, just what does the Peter T. rumor have to do with PAIRS skating? :laugh: I think the state of dance is definitely not a great one in regards to the upcoming Olympics. With so many of the teams having at least one partner ineligible due to citizenship requirements, we may or may not get to send our best dancers, who may or may not have medal expectations.

As to the Peter T. rumor itself......it's just a rumor. Maybe better put as a wish by some in the skating community. Hey, how do we know that Peter didn't start it himself? :rofl: Peter has said he'd like to compete, probably because he never got a world medal or an Olympic medal. Maybe he just likes to be out there. Maybe he's just trying to beef up his own coaching practice. Besides, who needs any rumor to show such a hunk on national tv! :rock:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
JohnnyCoop, I would say that if Brennan's information is correct, then the same one is available to Sergei. He is an adult, and can make his own decisions. I would find it hard to imagine him not being privy to the informatin that a reporter has.

You do have a point. I think there was something in the way the news/rumor/story, whatever you want to call it, was worded that kind of set me off. Still, I would think it would be a bit silly to just team up with someone under those circumstances, knowing you could be discarded later on. After all, we're not talking TEST PARTNERS here, we're talking actual competition. Brennan's probably talking out her hat, anyway; perhaps she was joking and with that monotone, who could tell?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
Hi Jonny,

So, besides Tiffany Steigler, just what does the Peter T. rumor have to do with PAIRS skating? :laugh: I think the state of dance is definitely not a great one in regards to the upcoming Olympics. With so many of the teams having at least one partner ineligible due to citizenship requirements, we may or may not get to send our best dancers, who may or may not have medal expectations.

As to the Peter T. rumor itself......it's just a rumor. Maybe better put as a wish by some in the skating community. Hey, how do we know that Peter didn't start it himself? :rofl: Peter has said he'd like to compete, probably because he never got a world medal or an Olympic medal. Maybe he just likes to be out there. Maybe he's just trying to beef up his own coaching practice. Besides, who needs any rumor to show such a hunk on national tv! :rock:

I'm doing 2 different posts here since I haven't the slightest idea how to put quotes from 2 different posts into the same one of my own....

Anyway --

What I am referring to is the mentality among US pairs wherein a pair hooks up in like April, struggles through their first Nationals in January since they haven't been together long enough to really gel as a cohesive unit, then they split up in February and go off with other partners. It's like Musical Chairs or something, Change Your Partner, Dosey-doh. :sheesh: :sheesh: This however does not explain what is wrong with Scott & Dulebohn, because certainly by all rights they should by HEADS above the rest of the field right now, as opposed to losing more ground every year.

ITA agree that due to citizenship issues, we are not going to be sending our best team possible to the Dance competition in Torino. However -- even with the ineligibles not going, we can and have looked worse in the past. US Dance has become much better and we have much more depth now than what we've had.

As far as who needs a rumor to show such a hunk on national TV -- well, I'm with you on that one. Maybe HE should be doing commentary, actually.... :biggrin: Tho I hope he's lost that bleached hair. :sheesh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Jonny,

OK, I agree about how the pairs teams have been playing musical chairs....or is that partners?

And, HOW could you miss seeing Peter (that's presuming you get ESPN)?????

(and yes, he's no longer got the blond thing going on)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
And, HOW could you miss seeing Peter (that's presuming you get ESPN)?????

Unfortunately, that would be a presumption; I don't even have cable. Which is one of the reasons I really really REALLY hate that hideous new contract that got negotiated; I'm going to have to have someone TAPE the dang Worlds for me so I can watch it DAYS later. :mad: :mad: :mad: x 12 !!!!

JOHIO2

Medalist
Jonny,

I really hate the way they have made figure skating into a cable-only sport. Why doesn't ABC step up to the plate and broadcast worlds? It really is not fair to the average viewer.

It ranks up there with baseball. The Cleveland Indians have done the same thing. For years, a local on-air station broadcast Indians games...for free.. to us poor schmucks who can't afford the price of season tickets. Then, the newest owners closed out the local station for a cable-only contract with Fox Sports. Okay, they broadcast the same number or more games. And yeah, they now reach areas that the on-air station didn't reach. But they made following the Tribe an elitist activity. Makes me regret voting for the bond issue that built the Gateway sports project. At least the Cavaliers still show some games on local tv.

Way of the world, unfortunately. I know I am not the only person being left behind by the ever changing technical world. Without a computer, anyone is left behind today. And now, I find that not being able to afford broadband internet access leaves me falling behind too.

And don't get me started with high definition tv and digital broadcasts. Right now, you can still watch tv with your old black and white with rabbit ears antenna. Wonder how long that will last?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Is it just me, but did you guys notice her smiling when she was reporting on Angela's loss and Tim's reaction. At least a bit of sincerity would've been appreciated!

You don't have to be smiling on the camera all the time...

JOHIO2

Medalist
StLB,

No, it wasn't just you. It was the "smile" of Christine. Kinda reminded me of a crocodile.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm not liking have to look at CB. I think she was terrible and i actually thought she would be better with the tone of her articles. I think she should keep on looking for another and move on from CB.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
Jonny,

I really hate the way they have made figure skating into a cable-only sport. Why doesn't ABC step up to the plate and broadcast worlds? It really is not fair to the average viewer.

I'm not actually blaming ABC; from what I've been able to piece together about the TV contracts, I rather suspect there is more ISU/Cinquatta* inteptitude at work here.

The way I understand it is, ABC had to negotiate two seperate contracts, one with the ISU and one with the USFSA. So the contract with the USFSA allows them to broadcast Skate America and the Nationals, as those are USFSA events. When it came to the ISU, tho, I seem to recall hearing that they were told you either broadcast the ENTIRE GP, the Euros, the 4Cs, and the Worlds, or you get nothing at all. Since GP viewership was down, ABC probably decided, despite the ratings the Worlds would bring in, it wouldn't overall offset the ratings loss they supposedly would get from the GP. (Bear in mind, the networks are supposedly so financially strapped right now that they're re-running episodes of the same show [Desperate Housewives, CSI, etc] 3 or 4 times a week, and ABC is going reality show crazy [even splitting Extreme Makeover Home Edition into 2 shows now] because it's cheaper.]

So, in a nutshell, I blame the ISU's All Or Nothing, Take It or Leave It attitude for it. Leave it to that inept idiot Cinquatta to be behind something like this at a time when skating needs all the good PR it can get; the ramifications of the SLC scandal are still being felt.

*I'm pretty sure I spelled his name wrong and I could get up and look it up, but when it comes to HIM, I'm not going to bother. :mad:

Last edited:
I thought Christine Brennan did an excellent job, for her first time out. It can't be easy to switch from print columnist to on-air TV personality. This requires a whole new set of skills. I think it's cool that she is trying to stretch in this way.

Mathman

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
Unfortunately, that would be a presumption; I don't even have cable. Which is one of the reasons I really really REALLY hate that hideous new contract that got negotiated; I'm going to have to have someone TAPE the dang Worlds for me so I can watch it DAYS later. :mad: :mad: :mad: x 12 !!!!

You and I both, JonnyCoop. I have ESPN, but I am terrible with taping. Maybe we can pay Realtorgal to tape it lol...she lives like...minutes away from me, I think.

Lotta

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
Is it just me, but did you guys notice her smiling when she was reporting on Angela's loss and Tim's reaction. At least a bit of sincerity would've been appreciated!

You don't have to be smiling on the camera all the time...

Ew I know! I wanted to pimp slap her for doing that! :mad: :mad:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I'm thinking the nervous smile was because she had to be constantly looking over her shoulder for anyone she had stabbed in the back who may have been there to return the favor. :biggrin:

Jhar55

Medalist
When I first saw her I thought OMG it's, Leslie Visser. They both talk the same and ask the same stupid questions. And they could both use a good hairdresser.
What was she there working to dig up more dirt for another book?