Classic Russian Pairs Skating | Golden Skate

Classic Russian Pairs Skating

GGFan

Record Breaker
So last night on the NBC stream while Z/E were skating the Aussie commentator pulled one of my pet peeve moves: fell back on that old cliche of their skating being lovely classic Russian pairs skating. I'm not Russian but I hate when they do this.

Was she watching the same performance I was? :confused: They do a couple things well but that's not what I'm looking for when looking up classic Russian pairs skating. At best they're giving 3rd or 4th place Russian team back in the day or an aberration like the first T/M. I swear Marinin has to be the least strong pairs man to have ever won gold. :slink:

Classic Russian pairs skating is about more than speed around the ice. I'm looking for skating skills, technique, presence, and wonderful unison. And if I'm really getting picky then I want line, extension, and beauty.

Examples in chronological order
1. Ludmilla Belousova & Oleg Protopopov 1968 Olympics LP (the attention to detail, beauty, and line)
2. Rodnina and Zeitzev 1980 Olympics LP (not my favorites, but they owned the ice)
3. Godeeva and Grinkov 1988 Olympics LP (skating as one!)
4. Mishkutenok & Dmitriev 1992 Olympics FS (Moskvina is my Queen! :luv17:)
5. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002 Olympics SP (Love their free as well but I think this is the best pairs short programs in history. The lines!! Anton's back :love:)

So no, I refuse to buy that fast but boring and messy is what classic Russian pairs skating is all about. :dev2: Thoughts?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
So last night on the NBC stream while Z/E were skating the Aussie commentator pulled one of my pet peeve moves: fell back on that old cliche of their skating being lovely classic Russian pairs skating. I'm not Russian but I hate when they do this.

Was she watching the same performance I was? :confused: They do a couple things well but that's not what I'm looking for when looking up classic Russian pairs skating. At best they're giving 3rd or 4th place Russian team back in the day or an aberration like the first T/M. I swear Marinin has to be the least strong pairs man to have ever won gold. :slink:

Classic Russian pairs skating is about more than speed around the ice. I'm looking for skating skills, technique, presence, and wonderful unison. And if I'm really getting picky then I want line, extension, and beauty.

Examples in chronological order
1. Ludmilla Belousova & Oleg Protopopov 1968 Olympics LP (the attention to detail, beauty, and line)
2. Rodnina and Zeitzev 1980 Olympics LP (not my favorites, but they owned the ice)
3. Godeeva and Grinkov 1988 Olympics LP (skating as one!)
4. Mishkutenok & Dmitriev 1992 Olympics FS Moskvina is my Queen! :luv17:
5. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002 Olympics SP (Love their free as well but I think this is the best pairs short programs in history. The lines!! Anton's back :love:)

So no, I refuse to buy that fast but boring and messy is what classic Russian pairs skating is all about. :dev2: Thoughts?

I adored the old, "classic" pair skating. The new system ruined it for me. They lost the harmony. Too many stupid TRs they are too busy.

s_parks

Record Breaker
The problem is Mozer's artistic vision(or lack thereof?). So tacky and tasteless. Only S/K get the occasional decent program.
There's some promising juniors though; I see great potential in Boikova/Kozlovskii who are coached by none other than Moskvina, as well as Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin. Hopefully Russian pairs can step it up.

GGFan

Record Breaker
The problem is Mozer's artistic vision(or lack thereof?). So tacky and tasteless. Only S/K get the occasional decent program.
There's some promising juniors though; I see great potential in Boikova/Kozlovskii who are coached by none other than Moskvina, as well as Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin. Hopefully Russian pairs can step it up.

Hallelujah! I need some St. Petersburg back in my life :yahoo:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Journalists who call Z/E's current programmes 'classic Russian pair skating' have clearly not a clue. Don't bother with them. I don't even think Z/E or Nina Mozer would claim it to be a 'classic' Russian style. Maybe just hints of it.

I also think that the Russian school of pair skating is best embodied in S/K, but be that as it may. Just because Russians have a certain tradition, they don't have to stick in the past. They are allowed to modernise like anybody else. S/K's 'I put a spell on you' and 'Addams Family' were certainly great, strong programmes.

Like in singles skating, modern requirements focus on technical elements more than I could wish for, and musical tastes in skating have changed a lot. This is not necessarily the worst thing that could happen.
The Russians still know what they're doing in pair skating. Success speaks for itself, whether you call it tacky, tasteless or great, I'll roll with that. :) Unless the judges these days are tacky and tasteless :laugh:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Journalists who call Z/E's current programmes 'classic Russian pair skating' have clearly not a clue. Don't bother with them. I don't even think Z/E or Nina Mozer would claim it to be a 'classic' Russian style. Maybe just hints of it.

I also think that the Russian school of pair skating is best embodied in S/K, but be that as it may. Just because Russians have a certain tradition, they don't have to stick in the past. They are allowed to modernise like anybody else. S/K's 'I put a spell on you' and 'Addams Family' were certainly great, strong programmes.

Like in singles skating, modern requirements focus on technical elements more than I could wish for, and musical tastes in skating have changed a lot. This is not necessarily the worst thing that could happen.
The Russians still know what they're doing in pair skating. Success speaks for itself, whether you call it tacky, tasteless or great, I'll roll with that. :) Unless the judges these days are tacky and tasteless :laugh:

S/K are by far my favorites of the current crop. I think the criticism of Mozer's taste level is a fair one. Moskvina was able to give this masterpiece to a much less talented pair than Mozer has. She does a great job with the skating skills and the throws but her programs don't have the sweep or emotion I prefer. She doesn't seem to emphasize the all important connection with her pairs (or she's just unfortunate that she has some students who lack charisma).

LadyB

Record Breaker
S/K are by far my favorites of the current crop. I think the criticism of Mozer's taste level is a fair one. Moskvina was able to give this masterpiece to a much less talented pair than Mozer has. She does a great job with the skating skills and the throws but her programs don't have the sweep or emotion I prefer. She doesn't seem to emphasize the all important connection with her pairs (or she's just unfortunate that she has some students who lack charisma).

I have the utmost respect for Moskvina and I think Kavaguti/Smirnov were absolutely fantastic. Of course you are right from your point of you, as you said 'don't have the sweep or emotion I prefer'. So far, we're only talking about personal taste and individual perception of what Russian pair skating should be like. That's why I only pointed out that the modern day judges still seem to like what they see.
Btw, I don't think Nina Mozer dictates everything. If you read the interviews, I do believe the skaters do have a choice of what they would like to skate to and what they feel most comfortable with. So, if she has no taste, neither have her charges who are winning medals.

I'm inclined to agree with the charisma issue you mentioned. Then again, we all probably have a different definition of that as well. Stolbova/Klimov have less in common as individuals as the other pairs, but they have the most charisma on the ice (in my opinion). Boikova/Kozlovski are a pair I'm very much looking forward to in the future, but I wouldn't quite call them 'charismatic' yet... Volosozhar/Trankov definitely ticked all the boxes on that one for me...and they were Mozer Team.