Clinging to old programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Clinging to old programs

Alifyre

On the Ice
In fact, my Yuzudaughter thinks Chopin is boring and wants him to bring back Prince! :laugh:

To be honest, I also wanted him to re-do Let's Go Crazy when I found out he was going to return to old programs. It was so much fun, and we never got to see it clean!

Honestly though, I am glad now with hindsight that Yuzu decided to recycle both his programs. Having spent this much time off the ice due to injury, returning to old programs rather than trying to learn new ones while also recovering could have really hurt his medal chances. In this case, playing it safe was a really good move, even if I was disappointed by it when it was first announced.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's horrible! I can understand two seasons maybe, but THREE??? That's boring and stale.
Ok, i get that certain performers may have issues with learning new routines. If ones head injuries are that bad, maybe it's time to retire???
I don't know if a penalty will work, but something needs to be done. They definitely shouldn't get a pcs boost!

In my best Tara voice,"Threeee years?????"

Let's not go there with the head injuries. You realize that would have knocked out many a champion skater before their time, right? Head injuries and cognitive issues don't always equal having to retire, that's ridiculous, you make it sound like Ashley is severely handicapped or something and she's definitely not. And before anyone says it, I know what it's like to have head injuries from skating and cognitive as well, as a result of those.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Let's not go there with the head injuries. You realize that would have knocked out many a champion skater before their time, right? Head injuries and cognitive issues don't always equal having to retire, that's ridiculous, you make it sound like Ashley is severely handicapped or something and she's definitely not. And before anyone says it, I know what it's like to have head injuries from skating and cognitive as well, as a result of those.

Her head injuries sounded pretty bad. I wasn't trying to be patronizing or anything. I'm actualy quite concerned.

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
In fact, my Yuzudaughter thinks Chopin is boring and wants him to bring back Prince! :laugh:

It's horrible! I can understand two seasons maybe, but THREE??? That's boring and stale.
Ok, i get that certain performers may have issues with learning new routines. If ones head injuries are that bad, maybe it's time to retire???
I don't know if a penalty will work, but something needs to be done. They definitely shouldn't get a pcs boost!

In my best Tara voice,"Threeee years?????"

Bolded part, I don't know if you noticed but that wording is in a bad taste. She's a strong athlete because she keep going despite her injuries, same with other high performance athlete. In your logic, compared to changing program they should retire instead if injury is the reason for repeating, that's ridiculous. Not even a joke.

To be honest, I also wanted him to re-do Let's Go Crazy when I found out he was going to return to old programs. It was so much fun, and we never got to see it clean!

Honestly though, I am glad now with hindsight that Yuzu decided to recycle both his programs. Having spent this much time off the ice due to injury, returning to old programs rather than trying to learn new ones while also recovering could have really hurt his medal chances. In this case, playing it safe was a really good move, even if I was disappointed by it when it was first announced.

I was hoping he would make Let's Go Crazy as his Gala performance for Olympics.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
That piece of information has made me feel slightly queasy. Both from the idea of garments not being washed properly and the wanton waste of good vodka...

Lol ohhh plenty of dance costumes can’t get washed - if you’re lucky, they can be steamed or aired, but other than that...well, let’s just say good quality vodka should be given to anyone who has to continue to peel themselves into and out of them ;) (or more fittingly, to those backstage who have to actually do the quick-change dressing of said dancer lol).

Thank you, everyone, for posting the costume rules, it’s much appreciated!!

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
A custom, fully-stoned dress by one of the good designers could be $1000 or more. We're talking dresses that are designed from scratch by the costumer to suit the skater and the music, the highest quality fabrics, Swarovski crystals, and so on.

The mismatch of flesh tone could come from either the cost factor or someone just having a difficult skin tone. For example, the lightest skating tights available are still too dark for my skin tone, and I know for many years the darkest skin tones just weren't available at all in anything remotely close.

Ohhhh same here!!! Not skating tights but ballet and dance tights, as well as “skin coloured” shoes. Like, unless I’m allowed to buff foundation into those shoes, they ain’t gonna be skin coloured!
I still though would’ve thought that the 5k or so quoted by some skaters - or even 1k really if it were made a priority - would have covered a custom dyed mesh, especially since it’s such a popular costume addition.
In the case of that 13 year old, possibly a little too popular...

I’ve had performance athletic wear designer purely for competition cost probably only $300 USD, and pro dance costumes made for around $400 USD (just for the dress/body - not the shoes), I do understand that the fabric has to hold up under a heck of a lot of stress whilst still being pretty, but still...some of the higher prices, I wonder if they’re attributable to request for a particular designer or brand of crystal.

One thing about the program layout - when Johnny was commenting on Zhenya at NHK, he mentioned that she essentially always keeps the same layout, but he seemed to think this was a good thing and that it enabled new programs to be debuted each season.
It’s interesting to hear this perspective, especially from a skater, when thinking about how Ashley’s LaLaLand was essentially Moulin Rouge over again.
Certainly some skaters do a better job IMO of adapting their preferred layout to a new music piece than others, but maybe some are hindered by factors such as nerves, lack of musicality, memory problems due to concussions...it was interesting to me to hear.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Lol ohhh plenty of dance costumes can’t get washed - if you’re lucky, they can be steamed or aired, but other than that...well, let’s just say good quality vodka should be given to anyone who has to continue to peel themselves into and out of them ;) (or more fittingly, to those backstage who have to actually do the quick-change dressing of said dancer lol).

Thank you, everyone, for posting the costume rules, it’s much appreciated!!

you just gave me the heebie-jeebies imagining all those unwashed costumes.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The mismatch of flesh tone could come from either the cost factor or someone just having a difficult skin tone. For example, the lightest skating tights available are still too dark for my skin tone, and I know for many years the darkest skin tones just weren't available at all in anything remotely close.

Actual photo of karne’s Irish doppelgänger sunbathing. :laugh2:

In all seriousness, I’m laughing with you, not at you, as I’m pasty white myself. :laugh:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Getting back to the original topic at hand, in the case of lower level skaters, for example, skaters in Skate Canada’s STAR 1-STAR 10 + Gold test stream, they usually keep the same program music and dress for two seasons.

My daughter is on her second season with her current program and dress. It’s not the program that’s the problem, as the coach can easily modify the choreography and program content as a skater moves up a level, rather, it’s having the dress fit for that long! :laugh: We had to have another layer added to the skirt in the fall. I paid approximately $200 for a seamstress to make it last year. She’s competing twice more this year, then it’ll be time for a new program in the spring.