Coaches: what did they do before? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Coaches: what did they do before?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
On the lesser known level I thought Josee Chouinard ( a woman with great charm who had big jumps when on but was best known for choking and being the second victim of Tonya gate), Tracey Wainman the one time 12 year old Canadian dynamo who fizzled, Susan Humphries (she was a Canadian champ who arguably cost Canada a chance to go to the Olympics because she wouldn't give up her spot at some qualifier when she was injured was what I read), Liz Manley the woman who really slayed the Carmen women (Witt and Thomas) and finally a fourth really obscure Canadian by the name of Charlene Wong who I think coached Caroline Zhang or some American hopeful (she was the double axel queen) - these Canadians all coach or coached skaters.

peg

Medalist
And finally a fourth really obscure Canadian by the name of Charlene Wong who I think coached Caroline Zhang or some American hopeful (she was the double axel queen) - these Canadians all coach or coached skaters.
Charlene Wong coached Mirai Nagasu as well.
And I don't really consider her to be obscure, though to the younger crowd she may be. She did win a few silver medals at Canadian Nationals during her career, though she was never national champion.

Last edited:

badknees

Medalist
Great post but I think Carol Heiss needs to be in the great champions category.

Carol Elizabeth Heiss Jenkins (born January 20, 1940 in New York City) is an American figure skater and former actress. She is the 1960 Olympic Champion in Ladies Singles, 1956 Olympic silver medalist and five-time World Champion (1956–1960).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Rudi Galindo

ETA: Sorry, correct spelling is Rudy. Thx to the OP for catching my error.​

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I didn't know he coached. Do you think I should put him in the great champions or people we knew who skated? He did win a world bronze medal...

He coaches at Sharks Ice in San Jose where Polina Edmunds skates under David Glynn. He was actually in the K&C with her at Nationals this year.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I didn't know he coached. Do you think I should put him in the great champions or people we knew who skated? He did win a world bronze medal...

Sorry for misspelling :eek: Rudy's name :bang:. Thanks for adding him :). (Esp. to the list of great champions ;). Happy to see him there.).

BTW, re Kori Ade:
The Skating Lesson has interviewed her, although it hasn't said exactly when the interview will be published.
TSL did post a FB comment that among other topics, the interview covered Kori's own skating bkgd :).​

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re Rudy Galindo (who I may also have misspelled earlier):mad:

I believe I read that at one point he was coaching Kristi's daughter, Emma. Of course, Emma was very young at this point and I'm not sure if she is even still skating. But what an adorable story...