Coronavirus and the World Championships | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the World Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
My understanding is that this is the protocol they intend to use for skaters, coaches, judges, media etc. I don't think they've said whether or how they will screen the general public.
They can't. Hard to believe they will allow thousands of people in a crowded arena.

Roo87

Medalist
They can't. Hard to believe they will allow thousands of people in a crowded arena.

Canada is allowing large groups to congregate at airports everyday. I'm more worried about that.

I just want a decision. My mother and I have sunk over 5k into this trip, if it's cancelled by tomorrow we can at least get our money back for out flight and hotel.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Canada is allowing large groups to congregate at airports everyday. I'm more worried about that.

I just want a decision. My mother and I have sunk over 5k into this trip, if it's cancelled by tomorrow we can at least get our money back for out flight and hotel.

I agree with that. I'm against cancellation, but if they still would decide to cancel, let's do it now (or remain silent forever as they say it on weddings :biggrin: ).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
CDC recommendation contradicts itself: if masks are useless, why medical personnels wear them? They didn't say medical personnels masks are different/more protective (even though they may be). Or they mean it is necessary to wear mask in close setting with potential sick person?

Japanese have been wearing masks on a regular basis. Does the CDC recommendation implies that 1) Japanese are so silly, because masks don't protect them from anything or 2) all the people wearing a mask in the audience are actually sick showing symptoms? 3) masks protect Asians not American

The CDC is dumbing down things as the American public has issues understanding the simplest things and dont have a sense of community. Proper masks work. But there isnt enough to go around so they dont want healthy people using them till supply catches up. I asked some of our Japanese friends about the surgical masks we see them wear at events and they said they were used by people who werent feeling well and wanted to protect others, which will work. In the words of ABC news, the best mask is the surgical mask worn by an infected person.

There is a huge question that was never answered in my professional training. I had to wear an N100 mask when entering remote communication sites as there could be Hantavirus, which has a 40 percent mortality rate. (It is hard to get) But those virusus are attached to dusty mouse poop. What happens when a droplet from an infected lung sticks to a mask and then the droplet dries, leaving the very small virus on the surface of the mask?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In November I went to Zurich to see Sergei Polunin dance. There was NOT ONE POSTER outside the venue or in the neighborhood where it occurred. Yet it was sold out! Not one seat available.

But I am surprised that Montreal is not featuring Worlds. Especially with the premier ice dancing coaches in residence!

I am confused...isnt the event a sell out? Why would you spend dollars advertising an event that is sold out?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The CDC is dumbing down things as the American public has issues understanding the simplest things and dont have a sense of community. Proper masks work. But there isnt enough to go around so they dont want healthy people using them till supply catches up. I asked some of our Japanese friends about the surgical masks we see them wear at events and they said they were used by people who werent feeling well and wanted to protect others, which will work. In the words of ABC news, the best mask is the surgical mask worn by an infected person.

There is a huge question that was never answered in my professional training. I had to wear an N100 mask when entering remote communication sites as there could be Hantavirus, which has a 40 percent mortality rate. (It is hard to get) But those virusus are attached to dusty mouse poop. What happens when a droplet from an infected lung sticks to a mask and then the droplet dries, leaving the very small virus on the surface of the mask?

I could ask my brother who is a doctor. But my understanding is the virus doesn’t thrive on soft surfaces. It likes hard surfaces.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The temp thing and screening for resp illness is a joke. (I am a nurse and have a bit of experience with this.) .
It is mearly to warn people that they dont show up sick, no matter how much they feel they are more important than the rest of the world. I am sure you know know that people catch the virus and shed for 5.1 days on average, and maybe as many as 11 days, before becoming sick....

The statement also gives people a warm fuzzy feeling that they are being protected...in the State of WA, it was confirmed that the virus is in 10 nursing homes. In ONE county....and only 7,000 tests done in a country with 340,000,000 people. I am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I could ask my brother who is a doctor. But my understanding is the virus doesn’t thrive on soft surfaces. It likes hard surfaces.

Yeah but it can survive up to 9 days without a host, and if it get's on a mask it can go through it cause it's small enough to.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
World Health Organization has declared the outbreak of coronavirus is pandemic

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1237777021742338049

The WHO continues to closely monitoring spread of the virus, said Tedros Adhanom, director general of the WHO, during the announcement. “We are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction,” he said. “We have called every day for countries to take urgent and aggressive action.”

"If countries detect, test, treat, isolate, trace, and mobilize their people in the response, those with a handful of #COVID19 cases can prevent those cases becoming clusters, and those clusters becoming community transmission"-@DrTedros

This is the first pandemic since H1N1.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
https://www.timescolonist.com/world...ion-expected-to-be-announced-today-1.24095074

Why to cancel?
Move it to Moscow. I'm pretty sure Russia will never cancel WC with so many medal hungry stars...

They've offered Sochi for ice hockey already :)

Measure in Moscow limiting attendace to 5k people should last one month for now. We will see.

Though, I still hope that if Worlds will be cancelled, it won't be complete cancellation, but it could take place later, may, june, if the situation would allow it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well it is in the hands of François Legault... premier of Quebec Province... i don't expect much from him... we should know soon..

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
hough, I still hope that if Worls will be cancelled, it won't be complete cancellation, but it could take place later, may, june, if the situation would allow it.

Yeah, but the skaters have lives too. They have vacations planned probably, and they need to prepare for next season. They're not like robots. Just saying.

mom2sk8rs

Rinkside
I'm beginning to think the reason behind the "passing the buck" of who gets to cancel is probably something to do with who is responsible for lost costs depending on who cancels. For instance if the province cancels the ISU isn't responsible for refunds or something like that - I don't know just feels like there is more to why they don't want to make the call....

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I don’t understand why they would need to cancel the event. Wouldn’t it be enough to not allow spectators. Isn’t that where the risk is? Many people coming to watch. It’s sad to have no audience but better than cancelling. The skaters are all young and fit, not likely to be affected by this, it is the large crowd that is the danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.