Coronavirus and the World Championships | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the World Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As people can be asymptomatic but contagious for up to 11 days before showing signs of being unwell (WHO data currently suggests that the average length of time to show symptoms is 5.1 days, but remember how averages are calculated...), it's still a bit too early to say whether their were no cases or spread associated with JW, I'm afraid.

That is now been proven. That is how it spread to everyone in 1-10 nursing homes in WA (depending on the news outlet. Without wide spread testing, there is no way to know how many cases you have. In WA, the virus was probably active for 4 weeks before they found it. They are now looking at the pre-pandemic deaths to see it they really died of the flu or the Covid.

If the worlds goes on , I think a good PHD thesis would be to track everyone who attended, where they went around the world afterwords, and look at the stats of infection rates....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The problem is that many who carries the virus do not know they have it, so by the time they realize and wear a mask it may be too late. With that in mind, if everyone wears a mask from the start regardless of being sick or healthy, we can at least make sure the droplets do not spread directly to someone else's face/ mask.
The next thing to worry about, then, is that those with the virus will handle their masks poorly and end up touching all over the place. That is where washing hands frequently & cleaning surfaces would help.

Together with frequent hand washing, I think that would greatly reduce the chance of catching the virus via fomites.

I believe the CDC recommendation takes into account the current supply of masks. In this case, there is a shortage of masks thus the better choice is to keep the supply for those who absolutely need them. If there are enough masks for everyone, I think the recommendation may be different... like how the WHO initially recommended wearing masks when the supply was still relatively accessible.

Canada has 50 million masks left over from stock pileing them after the 2003 outbreak...they of course are now out of date but they are better than nothing and they really keep you from touching your nose and mouth. (they failed to replenish their supply, sadly)
https://nationalpost.com/news/world...all-expired-as-covid-19-nears-pandemic-status

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
CDC recommendation contradicts itself: if masks are useless, why medical personnels wear them? They didn't say medical personnels masks are different/more protective (even though they may be). Or they mean it is necessary to wear mask in close setting with potential sick person?

Japanese have been wearing masks on a regular basis. Does the CDC recommendation implies that 1) Japanese are so silly, because masks don't protect them from anything or 2) all the people wearing a mask in the audience are actually sick showing symptoms? 3) masks protect Asians not American

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
The athletes are in a very very low risk category. Some of the officials and spectators are going to be in higher risk categories. I’d hold it as scheduled and give spectators the choice to come or not and assume whatever level of personal risk they chose. But, I don’t run things.

This is common sense. Thank you. Everyone should be able to make their own choice based on their own situation. If you’re in a high risk category, mainly older people with pre-existing conditions, I would guess you’d make the choice not to attend. If you’re feeling ill, you’d make the choice not to attend. What I haven’t seen mentioned very often is the consequence to the athletes who have trained all year for this event. What about them? It’s highly unlikely the event would be rescheduled. Most of them are already in Canada and are ready to skate. I’m hoping the championships go on and these deserving young people are given a chance to fulfill their dreams.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Directly from the CDC website

CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19. You should only wear a mask if a healthcare professional recommends it. A facemask should be used by people who have COVID-19 and are showing symptoms. This is to protect others from the risk of getting infected. The use of facemasks also is crucial for health workers and other people who are taking care of someone infected with COVID-19 in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).

- - - Updated - - -

Directly from the CDC website

CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19. You should only wear a mask if a healthcare professional recommends it. A facemask should be used by people who have COVID-19 and are showing symptoms. This is to protect others from the risk of getting infected. The use of facemasks also is crucial for health workers and other people who are taking care of someone infected with COVID-19 in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).

They are mearly saying they dont wish to dip into the country's emergency supplys yet...they want production to rapidly ramp up and supply the first responders...then they will reccommend masks for everyone. YOu ever try and touch your mouth or nose on an airplane with an N100 mask on?
Hurrah for Korea!
The US and South Korea announced their first cases of the coronavirus on the same day: January 20. More than six weeks later, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has tested around 1,500 people for the virus. South Korea, meanwhile, has tested about 140,000.

The nation is capable of conducting as many as 10,000 tests per day and has built drive-thru testing clinics that can detect coronavirus cases in just 10 minutes. Officials say the clinics can reduce testing time by a third.
https://www.businessinsider.com/south-korea-coronavirus-testing-death-rate-2020-3

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is common sense. Thank you. Everyone should be able to make their own choice based on their own situation. If you’re in a high risk category, mainly older people with pre-existing conditions, I would guess you’d make the choice not to attend. If you’re feeling ill, you’d make the choice not to attend. What I haven’t seen mentioned very often is the consequence to the athletes who have trained all year for this event. What about them? It’s highly unlikely the event would be rescheduled. Most of them are already in Canada and are ready to skate. I’m hoping the championships go on and these deserving young people are given a chance to fulfill their dreams.

I was looking and it isn't totally unprecedented it would be rescheduled. It has been not held only due to war and the plane crash. Looks like in 2011 it was going to be held in Tokyo and cancellation was considered but it was moved instead. So the last time it was not held was 61. But really at this point it's almost too late to do anything - I'd expect the majority of athletes to be there already. Official practices start in 5 days.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If someone in the packed arena is tested and has the virus, will everyone be sent to some old Indian Wars Fort in Oklahoma for a 14 day Quarentine? Like cruise ship pax? Ft. Sill? Ft. Bliss Texas?
Rika, you and your sister can come stay with me...I have 15 acres and lots of food and toilet paper.
Chris who canceled his cruise to Alaska today. :(

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
CDC recommendation contradicts itself: if masks are useless, why medical personnels wear them? They didn't say medical personnels masks are different/more protective (even though they may be). Or they mean it is necessary to wear mask in close setting with potential sick person?

Japanese have been wearing masks on a regular basis. Does the CDC recommendation implies that 1) Japanese are so silly, because masks don't protect them from anything or 2) all the people wearing a mask in the audience are actually sick showing symptoms? 3) masks protect Asians not American

They just don't want shortages on medical supplies due to sudden over-demand. They also believe that many people who wear masks will begin to feel invulnerable to sickness and not exercise the same amount of caution they otherwise would.

Masks definitely help if used properly. Medical personnel use them for a reason.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They just don't want shortages on medical supplies due to sudden over-demand. They also believe that many people who wear masks will begin to feel invulnerable to sickness and not exercise the same amount of caution they otherwise would.

Masks definitely help if used properly. Medical personnel use them for a reason.

My doctor actually recommend a mask to me for traveling. She said if nothing else it will help you prevent you from touching your face.

Honestly I don’t think it hurts. And since symptoms aren’t easily detectable for the first several days having a mask may come in handy.

The CDC recommendation is more a reaction to the shortage and to ensure the people who really need them get them first. That includes medical professionals.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist

Medical personnel wear masks to prevent spreading their bacteria to others. They don't wear them to stay healthy. With the exception of very specialized masks which aren't widely available they will not filter out viruses and thus you can still get sick while wearing them but masks can be somewhat effective for preventing viruses from spreading long distances. That is all. It is a bit like making sure that you cover your mouth or nose when you cough or sneeze. Basically, if you are sick.....stay home. The mask is not going to protect others from getting the virus... but it might limit the number of people who get it by reducing the distance over which it spreads. If you aren't sick, you probably aren't getting any benefit but you could (possibly) be helping others if you happen to be carrying the virus without symptoms.

They might also reduce the number of times you touch your face, but as someone who lives in Taiwan (where it is normal to wear masks and is currently required in many workplaces) I don't really think this is true. People take the masks off all the time to eat or drink thus touching their face and getting any bacteria/virus which is present on the mask on their hands.

Social distancing works... staying home works... washing your hands properly is extremely important... Masks might offer a bit of protection, but not very much. I think it makes a lot more sense to hold this event without an audience. Providing masks just isn't enough to prevent the spread.

Elspeth

Rinkside
This is common sense. Thank you. Everyone should be able to make their own choice based on their own situation. If you’re in a high risk category, mainly older people with pre-existing conditions, I would guess you’d make the choice not to attend. If you’re feeling ill, you’d make the choice not to attend.

Not aiming this at you personally, but the above is assuming that every person who has spent god knows how much on tickets is going to do the right thing and not attend if they are at risk of carrying the virus or think that they might have it. That is terribly naive.

If you have forked out up to $3000 to see your favourite skater(s) (all-event ticket, flight, hotel), you are going to want to see them. Coronavirus be dammed. Not everyone is a self-sacrificing paragon of virtue. The Quebec/Canadian authorities are putting way too much emphasis on people's good and sensible nature. This is fine when it concerns 'visiting your elderly mother after your holiday abroad', but it becomes a bit ignorant when you're talking about a non-refundable and expensive event that some fans have been looking forward too for months.

ewdokia

On the Ice
Your lack of information regarding preventing transmission just goes to show you are in no position to make judgement calls about risks.

The virus is not air born transmission, masks do not prevent transmission and can in fact cause more issues as it is a fabric touching your face that can host the virus for its 6-12 hour life span in that medium.

Talking about lack of information - there is airborne transmission, here you can e.g. see analysis how it spread in a bus:
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/sci...vel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay

Masks by the way only help to prevent you from getting it to some extent if it’s FFP2 or even FFP3 masks. But all masks will help to reduce risk that infected people infect others to at least some extent. If governments or politicians advice people not to wear a mask one major reason might be that there simply aren’t enough masks in that country / area. Like it is done in my country. Government recommended not to wear mask as they are useless – but we simply don’t have enough masks, we don’t produce them and countries surrounding us have already declared export stops as they want to keep them for their own citizens.

Personally I think the event should not be cancelled, but take place without audience. Skating that’s not like football or ice hockey, where athletes will still get some salaries from their clubs if events are cancelled. For many athletes it’s their main source of income and they already arranged the travelling, i.e. they already had expenses. But organizers should require a health certificate from each athlete and test them before entering the event as well. The same should apply for judges, organizing staff and media. It’s till impressive to watch via TV. And they should check athletes also during the course of the event. And masks should be mandatory except for athletes while training. Toilets and all areas with high public traffic (e.g. door handles, canteens and shops in the area) should be disinfected regularly.

If this will take place with audience there will be a huge spread rate, starting with use of public toilets (this virus is contained in excrements and it can then spread via aerosol in toilets). Not only in Montreal, but with people coming home from this event to their home countries and starting to spread the virus there.

But then I fear as a lot of money is involved, it will be either held with audience or cancelled at all, not taking into account the interest of the athletes nor the figure skating fans.

This is common sense. Thank you. Everyone should be able to make their own choice based on their own situation. If you’re in a high risk category, mainly older people with pre-existing conditions, I would guess you’d make the choice not to attend. If you’re feeling ill, you’d make the choice not to attend.
The principle of self-responsibility unfortunately with a disease like this is the wrong way to solve the problem. If you feel well and decide to attend, you might already have a virus, though if you are lucky only in a light form. But you will spread to others and not only visitors (who made their choice to visit), but people working in shops in Montreal, in hotels and public transport. So people who didn’t have a choice to avoid getting infected in this case as they simply have to continue daily work to make a living.

Arbitrary

Medalist

madisonfw

Rinkside
My employer just announced that employees who do ANY international travel will be required to self-isolate for 14 days upon their return home. I can't afford to take 2 weeks of unpaid leave, so there goes my trip to Worlds in Montreal. I was so looking forward to it. Maybe they could let the competition go on without an audience, and then stream it to ticket holders?!?!?! (Wishful thinking...)

angi

Spectator
For the ticket holders there should be 4K/60 stream for free. Others may pay or wait for low-res, delayed streams.

Or maybe just offer partial refunds to ticked holders and let everyone watch as usual instead of offering some weird form of collective punishment?

Decoder

On the Ice
(https://www.yahoo.com/sports/figure-skating-isu-enacts-coronavirus-191112924.html)

Reuters March 11, 2020, 3:11 AM GMT+8

(Reuters) - The International Skating Union on Tuesday announced strict requirements, including temperature checks, for attending next week's world figure skating championships in Montreal amid the coronavirus outbreak.

According to a coronavirus information package sent by the sport's governing body to skaters, coaches, officials and media, anyone with a temperature above 38 degrees Celsius or who has acute respiratory symptoms will be denied entry and isolated.

Anyone put in isolation will not be issued an accreditation for the March 16-22 event until they have been cleared by the Canadian Public Health officials.

The ISU also said all accredited persons will have their temperature monitored every second day during the event in order to get into the venue.

During the championships, the ISU has asked attendees to wash hands frequently, avoid shaking hands and kissing, and to dispose of used tissues in a closed trash can.

The information package also included a questionnaire that must be completed and it asks attendees, among other things, their nationality, if they had recently been to a high-risk area for coronavirus or in contact with anyone who has traveled to a high-risk area.

The requirements from the ISU came a day after Quebec Health Minister Danielle McCann said the government is quickly trying to determine whether to allow the championships to go ahead.

Last Saturday, the International Ice Hockey Federation said the women's world ice hockey championship set for to begin on March 31 in eastern Canada was canceled over concerns about the coronavirus outbreak.

(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto; Editing by Toby Davis)

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Such a difficult situation for everyone involved, but I'm also Team "better safe than sorry". While Canada doesn't have that many cases right now, that could change quickly, fueled by letting events like that take place. In the region in Germany where I live there's only 9 confirmed cases so far (for comparison: the region where most of the Carnival festivities took place last month is at almost 500 cases and three deaths), yet all events with more than 1000 visitors must be cancelled or take place without spectators in case of sports events. I would also let Worlds happen next week but without spectators. Postponing it would mess with the athletes' schedules, cancelling it altogether would be sad for the skaters who might have their last or only shot at competing in a World Championship. Of course all ticket holders should be refunded, which would be a financial disaster, but shouldn't lives be worth more than that? Of course the ISU wouldn't decide to do so, so I was hoping the government would step in.

Status
Not open for further replies.