Dabin Choi | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Dabin Choi

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Congratulations to Dabin for the 5th place finish and for the new personal best scores. She did very well under such pressure. I'd be happy if she competed at Worlds in Helsinki, she would be capable of great performances there because she has been very consistent and is in good form now.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Korean skating federation serriously need to consider sending Da Bin to World's.

Because I don't think one month is enough time for Na Hyun to both recover from her injuries, and train/prepare for world's... whereas Da Bin is looking stronger than she's ever been and might just squeeze into the top ten to earn 2 places for Korea at the Olympics...

(She managed 5th here... at World's there will also be 3 Russians, Wagner, Kostner and Miyahara... making it tough to stay in the top 10... but not impossible...)

clippers8200

On the Ice
Korean skating federation serriously need to consider sending Da Bin to World's.

Because I don't think one month is enough time for Na Hyun to both recover from her injuries, and train/prepare for world's... whereas Da Bin is looking stronger than she's ever been and might just squeeze into the top ten to earn 2 places for Korea at the Olympics...

(She managed 5th here... at World's there will also be 3 Russians, Wagner, Kostner and Miyahara... making it tough to stay in the top 10... but not impossible...)

My guess is that Nahyun will withdraw from Worlds and Dabin will replace her - she had noticeable improvements on performance from the last time around, proud of her!!

gourry

Final Flight
So happy to see Dabin is getting some love. :D This girl is impressive. Not the one of the most talented or expressive skaters out there. But whenever people set her limits or write her off for her shortcomings, she just gets better little by little and proves them wrong. I have quite admiration for her. I'm so glad that she is finally having her breakout season.
As for the Worlds, I really wish Dabin to go, but...
Nahyun has every right to be there. There was only one reason for Nahyun to compete at 4CC in the first place despite her injuries: to gain some momentum and recognition before the Worlds. Well, that failed, and it worked quite the opposite because now everyone is talking about Dabin going there. Plus it didn't help with her injuries as well, possibly worsened it. I know it would be tremendously difficult for Nahyun to give up the Worlds especially when this would be possibly her only chance to be at the Worlds. Korea has only one spot, and there are Dabin, Soyoun, and the upcoming youngsters. In the future, she has only very slim chance to get a spot with that much deepened competition. So I don't really see her withdrawing voluntarily. Should the K fed do something? That I don't know.... Because again, Nahyun has every right to be there. As much as I like Dabin, Dabin is no Yuna who guarantees multiple spots for Korea.

Last edited:

skatespin

On the Ice
Congratz to Dabin! This is great progress for her. I'm glad to see her do well, I feel like she is often goes unnoticed. Nahyun earned her worlds spot, but I am worried she won't be back in shape by then. She appears to only be in worse health since nationals. I have a feeling she might WD. IDK if Korean fed should do something or not, this is a tough call. Korea only having 1 spot at the olympics would be so sad. Especially considering they had 3 at Sochi when their team wasn't nearly as strong, apart from Yuna of course lol.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Dabin is first after short program with score of 61.30 @ Asian Games :hap10: I hope she will have strong long program and get a medal but her being the only consistent one in this competition, miracle can happen. Good luck to Dabin in free :ghug: #SendDabinToWorlds

Plumededragon

Medalist
Dabin is first after short program with score of 61.30 @ Asian Games :hap10: I hope she will have strong long program and get a medal but her being the only consistent one in this competition, miracle can happen. Good luck to Dabin in free :ghug: #SendDabinToWorlds
I really wish the KSU fed would adopt a system similar to the Russian Fed, who would select a team for Europe and then decide, after that and the Russian Cup, who to send at World. Such similar decision should be taken, based also on 4CC results.
I know it's asking a lot from them, but I can't help hoping they'll have a change of heart...

EDIT: OK NEVERMIND!! That was just out as I was writing my post :laugh:

Nahyun WD from Worlds(due to injury... sorry for her:cry:) and Dabin will go to!!:luv17:

Korean news about it. It released right after Asian Game`s ladies SP.
http://m.sports.naver.com/general/news/read.nhn?oid=001&aid=0009060735
Sorry it`s Korean but official news released.

Last edited:

breadstal

Record Breaker
Yes, like you said, Dabin is going to Worlds :luv17: I'm really sad for Nahyun but Dabin deserves so much to go there.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

I think Laurine Lecavallier also stands good chance at making top 10 imo. Either way good luck for Da-bin who is now selected for Worlds :thumbsup:

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I think Laurine Lecavallier also stands good chance at making top 10 imo. Either way good luck for Da-bin who is now selected for Worlds :thumbsup:

I think she has about the same chance as Dabin, but both of them must skate two mistake-free programs to have any chance to a Top 10 finish.
The 3 Russian ladies, the 3 American ladies, the 3 Japanese ladies, the 2 Canadian ladies and Kostner have the most chance to finish in the best places, and that's already 12 skaters.
It will be very difficult for Dabin but I hope for the best.

gourry

Final Flight
OMG! Feel very sorry for Nahyun and wish her a fast and complete recovery, but so so happy for Dabin!! And she's leading after SP of the Asian Game?! Wow. Hope she can keep this momentum to LP and Worlds! :luv17::hap10:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I'm so happy for Dabin! What a well deserved victory! :luv17:

She's been very consistent and she is in tip-top form right now. It must be incredibly hard to skate 2x2 near perfect programs within just a week, it really shows how strong she is both physically and mentally.
I can't wait to cheer for her at Worlds.

gourry

Final Flight
Dabin!!!!! :hap10::hap93::yes2: :yahoo::dance3:

I'm so sleepy, can't write anything coherent. Just so happy for her and so so so proud of her. Dabin!!!!!!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many congrats to Da-bin for winning AWG! 1st in SP another 1st in FS, a clear winner of the night! :hb::hb:

5th finish at 4CC, gold medal at AWG, such a break-through season for her. :rock: So nice to see Da-bin is learning how to control nerve and skate under pressure as she's heading into Oly Games on her home turf within a year. :yes: Good luck again at Worlds next month. :cheer:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Anyone here interested in having a State of the Korean ladies thread for next season? I didn't realize there wasn't one, there's so many great up and comers from South Korean skaters.

I'm really happy for Dabin's success recently and I like her new SP enough. 187 is a good score and while I know not to compare scores across competition, but last 2016 Worlds 10th place was 186 so I think Dabin's performance is reigniting hope in me that the SK ladies could maybe get 2 spots for Olympics next year.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Anyone here interested in having a State of the Korean ladies thread for next season? I didn't realize there wasn't one, there's so many great up and comers from South Korean skaters.

I think Dabin's performance is reigniting hope in me that the SK ladies could maybe get 2 spots for Olympics next year.

Yes and yes :love:

sallycinnamon

Medalist

I'm really happy for Dabin's success recently and I like her new SP enough. 187 is a good score and while I know not to compare scores across competition, but last 2016 Worlds 10th place was 186 so I think Dabin's performance is reigniting hope in me that the SK ladies could maybe get 2 spots for Olympics next year.

Yes! :)
I agree, the Korean youngsters deserve their own thread :agree: