Denis Ten | Page 67 | Golden Skate

Denis Ten

neraiselle

On the Ice
Phil Hersch's piece on Carroll's retirement has a reference to Denis.
Still so heartbreaking to think about what happened to denis.

http://www.globetrottingbyphiliphersh.com/home/2018/8/1/xk0uxw86ode5u8skad1gobdgpndiwd

"Finally, there was the murder of Kazakh figure skating icon Denis Ten, whom Carroll had coached from 2010 through the 2018 Olympics. During that time, Ten won an Olympic bronze medal and two world championship medals, landmark skating achievements for his country.

On July 10, nine days before he died, Ten posted on Instagram a picture of himself and Carroll, with the caption, “Happy birthday to the man with whom I shared the best moments in my life.” I had not seen the post until Carroll sent it to me this week. I told Carroll it had made me cry.

“I have no more tears,” Carroll replied.

That is why it meant so much to Carroll that Gracie Gold, whom he coached four years, sent him a text of condolences about Ten. The coach and skater have not talked since their bitter parting at the 2017 nationals.

“She said she knew we didn’t end our relationship on the best note but she wanted me to know how sorry and upset she was about Denis,” Carroll said. “That was very nice of Gracie. I texted her back to say thanks.”

(Carroll’s standout performances among the men he coached are Lysacek’s “Scheherazade” to win the Olympic gold and Ten’s short and long programs to “The Artist” to win silver at the 2013 worlds.)
""

I enjoyed reading the whole piece, with tears obviously swelling up on Denis' part.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the report, neraiselle. It's a sad reading, but it was a good gesture of Gracie to reach out to Carroll in such a sad moment and hand him an imaginary olive branch. Respect.

neraiselle

On the Ice
Thank you Rina RUS so much for the subtitles. Really wanted to watch it and I am full of tears again. It is nice of them to have made this program. What a loss.

neraiselle

On the Ice
Denis' family/relatives reportedly set up a YouTube account called "Denis Ten Forever" to archive videos of him, including those from his early years.

I read that his family members are working to honour his legacy. Bless them... that they find strength to do this through this difficult time.

https://astanatimes.com/2018/08/national-news-in-brief-14/
"The Denis Ten Public Foundation will be created in Almaty, according to Kazinform. The city administration also plans to open a figure skating academy and hold an annual international tournament in memory of the Olympic bronze medallist. A monument will be set at the site where Ten was stubbed to death July 19. “We thank all Kazakh people for their support in these difficult days. Many ideas and proposals were voiced honouring the memory of Denis. We are already working with the state authorities to implement some of them. All our proposals are supported by the Ministry of Culture and Sports. The authorities will install a plaque on our house, where Denis was born and lived, and will help publish a book about him,” said his mother, Oksana Ten."

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Denis' family/relatives reportedly set up a YouTube account called "Denis Ten Forever" to archive videos of him, including those from his early years.

I read that his family members are working to honour his legacy. Bless them... that they find strength to do this through this difficult time.

https://astanatimes.com/2018/08/national-news-in-brief-14/
"The Denis Ten Public Foundation will be created in Almaty, according to Kazinform. The city administration also plans to open a figure skating academy and hold an annual international tournament in memory of the Olympic bronze medallist. A monument will be set at the site where Ten was stubbed to death July 19. “We thank all Kazakh people for their support in these difficult days. Many ideas and proposals were voiced honouring the memory of Denis. We are already working with the state authorities to implement some of them. All our proposals are supported by the Ministry of Culture and Sports. The authorities will install a plaque on our house, where Denis was born and lived, and will help publish a book about him,” said his mother, Oksana Ten."

How lovely. However terrible this is, I must say I do admire these people a lot. Gives a warm feeling about how to handle a severe loss. Kudos to his family, and everyone else who is trying to do something constructive however difficult.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I find this quite shocking, I did not follow FS for many months and honestly, if you don´t then you will never know about this. It shows what a tiny community we skaters, fans and officials are. In my home country, not a single line was dropped, except for our figure skating magazine, I suppose. Therefore, I heard about his death yesterday...

If actors die, politicians... the media is full of it, quite telling if you ask me.

I met Denis in Dortmund a few years ago, I remember how he did some youtube or FB video there for his fans, then we took some pictures and had a chat, he won a medal there. I always felt that he was a great skater, much less outgoing off ice, quite shy actually.

Life is costly, something many of us always forget when it goes well.

neraiselle

On the Ice
Alexey Yagudin: Denis Ten was close to the concept of "perfect man"

https://sobesednik.ru/sport/2018082...-ten-byl-blizok-k-ponyatiyu-idealnyj-chelovek
Yagudin was quoted as saying out of all people he knew, Denis was the closest to being the most ideal person.

This article has a pop art image of Denis in the underground passage and a news report about it.
https://www.inform.kz/en/late-kazakh-composer-figure-skater-inspire-underground-art_a3368020

"The memory of Olympics bronze medalist Denis Ten was perpetuated in one of the underground passages of Almaty city, Kazinform correspondent reports.
As for the underground walkway located at the KazNU bus stop on Timiryazev Street, CCTV cameras are installed there. The artistic design is made in the 20th-21st century contemporary styles and reflects modern cultural achievements. Late Batyrkhan Shukenov, a composer and musician, and Denis Ten, Olympic bronze medalist figure skater, inspired the artists. In addition, a special place in the composition was given to Viktor Tsoi, a frontman of Kino band who fell in love with Almaty city on the set of film ‘Igla' (‘The Needle'). It should be mentioned that songs by A-Studio and Kino bands, as well as solo works by Batyrkhan Shukenov, are heard in the walkway."

I did think about Viktor Tsoi as I was thinking about Denis' death, as he was also of (half) Korean minority in Russia and died young in an accident.

--
The Denis Ten official (I think it's an official fan page?) on Instagram announced that there will be an exhibition of photography taken by Denis, which he shared on d10world, in Almaty.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm0mYP1gQt4/?taken-by=denisten_official
(Google Translate says:)

D10 WORLD
From August 26 to September 2 in the exhibition hall of Esentai Gallery will be a photo exhibition D10 WORLD, dedicated to the memory of the great athlete Denis Ten. The exhibition was initiated by friends and relatives of the Kazakhstan figure skater with the support of Esentai Mall and the Etage team.

At the exhibition will be presented photographic works, with love created by Denis. And also photos from the iconic sports events with his participation and a video project from colleagues and friends.
Date and time of the exhibition opening: August 26, 2018 at 18:00

Esentai Gallery, 2nd floor Esentai Mall (Almaty, Kazakhstan)
The entrance is traditionally free.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beautiful tribute to Denis. I wish it would be possible to have a "traveling" exhibit.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
a few days ago, I got a notification on facebook... someone had liked a comment of mine from years ago on a post denis had made. I cried. Then I thought, he is still remembered... still alive... people still visit his facebook... I love the idea of D10 Wolrd exhibit and I also hope it will travel. Losing a hero takes time to process.... one cannot "accept" it... the pain is still there. All I hope for is that people who knew him get together to continue his mission. Such a tragedy.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
: weapo will be paying tribute to Denis : their FD will be on SOS d'un terrien en détresse, sung by Dimash.... this is a bit too much emotion for me in one post... one of my favourite songs + Denis + well look at my avatar..

i am not handling this well for now... i hope the FD will be passionate but also filled with some sort of peace

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
: weapo will be paying tribute to Denis : their FD will be on SOS d'un terrien en détresse, sung by Dimash.... this is a bit too much emotion for me in one post... one of my favourite songs + Denis + well look at my avatar..

i am not handling this well for now... i hope the FD will be passionate but also filled with some sort of peace

It will be a wonderful tribute I am sure bud. Bravo WeaPo!

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I started teaching my college semester on Tues and I had a student from Kazakhstan. I asked him if he knew who Dennis was and he said yes. "He was a national hero." I told him I was a big fan and he seemed very touched.

neraiselle

On the Ice

Hearing this news made me cry too. Really look forward to seeing their FD and Voronov's program.
So nice of WePo to do this tribute. So touching.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180909/1141553015.html

Voronov talks about Denis in context of his new free skate program

"First of all this is his program, his idea and even today when I was leaving I wondered if Denis looks at me somewhere from above. What will I think about this season while skating this program? I won't think about myself, I've already built my name (reputation) over the years, it's his name I don't want to disgrace"

rikaquegira

On the Ice

"First of all this is his program, his idea and even today when I was leaving I wondered if Denis looks at me somewhere from above. What will I think this season while skating this program? I won't think about myself, I already build my name (reputation) over the years, it's his name I don't want to disgrace"

❤️

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker

"First of all this is his program, his idea and even today when I was leaving I wondered if Denis looks at me somewhere from above. What will I think about this season while skating this program? I won't think about myself, I've already built my name (reputation) over the years, it's his name I don't want to disgrace"

Such beautiful words :cry: Thank you Sergei, and good luck in all your competitions. :pray: