Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 102 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

icetug

Medalist
The translation of the interview
Thank you very much! Now it's clear for me what Deniss said about being both competetive and supportive...

Yes, as "Sensei" tells me, I am still an absolute beginner when it comes to the world of fashion!
Yes. And that's great Stephane is his chaperone in that matter. I'll see Deniss as an arbiter elegantiarum in a couple of years ;)

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Thank you sooo much!!! Very interesting and make me even more excited about the new programs... pö

any chance that you have Stephs part as well? Only if it‘s not too much work, as I suppose you did it all by yourself.. 😘

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Thank you sooo much!!! Very interesting and make me even more excited about the new programs... pö

any chance that you have Stephs part as well? Only if it‘s not too much work, as I suppose you did it all by yourself.. 😘

Glad you enjoyed it! Yes of course I will get to Stephane's part too! I regularly participate in FB's Deniss fan group, which has become quite large, so I had to do that first. It will be my next project, I will either do it tonight or tomorrow!!! :agree:

Salemrocks11

Rinkside
I was wondering if they got to pick what they wore for the photo shoot or if a stylist picked for them. Good choices [emoji1305]

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
:thank: MGStyle for translating!!! :bow:

Man I am so pumped to see his new FS now. All the programs Stephane has choreographed for the juniors so far look absolutely gorgeous.

fourthdimension

On the Ice
Glad you enjoyed it! Yes of course I will get to Stephane's part too! I regularly participate in FB's Deniss fan group, which has become quite large, so I had to do that first. It will be my next project, I will either do it tonight or tomorrow!!! :agree:

Yay! Thank you thank you thank you!

icetug

Medalist
From Camden Pulkinen interview:

The last time I saw Deniss Vasiljevs was at the 2016 Youth Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. I remember it was my first international and Deniss was a veteran to the international circuit. He was always very nice, and poised himself in a professional, respectable, and proper manner. When I saw Deniss again, those qualities had still existed, but some new ones emerged. He now had more artistry, and brought his own unique style to the ice. Seeing these attributes grow from the past few years made me realize that I could do the same.

MGstyle

Medalist
Translation of the SPUR interview with Stephane
Phew that was long - I haven't controlled the text... sorry if there are lots of typos!!! :rolleye:

SPUR: How is it going with the preparation for the next season?
Stephane: We completed a 10-day workshop back in Champery. There we worked on our Chopin duet number for Fantasy On Ice, and the new SP for Deniss. The main choreographer for his SP this time will be Salome, but it will be a joint effort of a few choreographers, including myself.
Following one week holiday after the workshop, we had another 10-day workshop in Latvia. Here we started to work on Deniss's FP. A Japanese contemporary dancer Kenta Kojiri worked with me to create the choreography for the FP, as well as the Chopin duet number. Mr. Kojiri had the challenge of understanding how to transfer the idea of movements done on a solid ground onto ice skating, it was also a challenge for Deniss and myself to bring to life all the complicated movements on the ice. We first started working on the duet program for the show to get the hang of the procedure, then we proceeded on to the creation of the competitive program for Deniss.

SP: We suppose the music for the new programs are still secret? Can you give us at least some hints?
ST: The new SP will be, let's say, "groovy". it will be a fast-paced, rythmic and danceable piece. Deniss is a type of a skater who can dance to a crisp, pulsating rythm while expressing a languid fluidity at the same time. We want to showcase that complexity of dance movements which he is so good at expressing.
For the FP on the other hand, we will add a "touch of Japanesque". Our sessions for choreography to this program went very well in Latvia. We are aware that there have been some major changes in the scoring system, but we are not overly worried about it. This contents will go over very well with the new system.

SP: You also have choreographed for Koshro Shimada, who trains with you in Champery?
ST: Yes, SP to "Adios" of Benjamin Clementine, and FP to Winter in Buenos Aires by Piazzolla. The SP will be contemporary, showcasing his whole new side. Koshro chose this music himself. Itìs a dramatic program, with some drastic changes of mood accompanied with a lyric which he could strongly relate to. He is expressing his emotions very well through each movement, it's a promising, beautiful work. We are still working on the FP, but it will be equally interesting.

SP: We saw that also Mikhail Kolyada worked with you through his posts on Instagram. Did you do a choreography for his SP?
ST: You are right! The program is two dimensioned - it rocks, but also has a romantic side. His energy and speed are two of his great strengths. He is also a bright, charming person. I wanted to showcase these elements to the max. I also worked with him on his step sequence for his FP. His FP is a latin/hispanic piece, which is completely different from the SP. I really enjoyed working with him. He is capable of not only executing the beautiful positions, but also do so with an incredible controll and command. He is a kid with such positivity, a delight to work with. Watching him skate, you are reminded of his wonderful personality and I am all the more impressed with him.

SP: You have also met with Yuzuru Hanyu during Fantasy On Ice.. right?
ST: Yes. His performance at the Olympics blew me away. Not only his physical strength, but also, or especially rather, his mental strength. It is super-human. He is out of this world, oh, I am not worthy!!! I am totally in awe of him. Respect!!!

SP: Let us ask something about yourself. Tell us something about your new program "Read All About It".
ST: Firstly, a lot of thoughts went into the costume for this program. You see the transparent part on my back? That means the window to my soul. The soul that contains both the power and the fragility. The vocal of Emily Sunde gave me an extra speed, which also helped me to express the positive side of my personality. Just as the title "Read all about it" says, I wanted the audience to take a peek on what is inside me through my performance. I am very satisfied with this program.

SP: Even after your competitive career has ended, you continue to amaze us in shows. Especially your spins remain to be the inspiration for many current athletes. What kind of training you continue to do in order to maintain the high level of your technique?
ST: I regularly train, there is always something to learn, a room to improve. It becomes more and more of a challenge, now that I have a responsibility as a coach/teacher, and at the same time I participate in shows. It is difficult to dedicate myself to both, and balance the two tasks. But I try to find the time, even for a short time, to train for myself every day, to work on physical strength, technique, and choreography.
I practise much less spins now, compared to years past. It casts a lot of stress on my muscles, to practise many spins, heavy burden to my body. The importance of spinning technique is the balance between flexibility and the muscular strength to controll the movement. It is possible to train that strength without actually spinning. I have been spinning so much for so many years, the technique has already become a part of me - so by now, the point for the training is not quantity, but a quality.
You see, the blades of the skates are not flat, but they are curved. In order to spin well, you must have the perfect understanding of exactly which point of the blade you need to spin on. If you hit the correct spot and spin on it, you can continue to spin much longer. It is the same logic of the toy top.
You also get a profound understanding of the curve of your skates by practising many steps. and as a result, it helps you to find that correct spot for spinning.
For children who are starting to skate, it is important for them to practise the spinning, in order to understand the overall technique of spinning, which is essential. Once you learn all the essentials of the basic spinning technique, then you can branch into different types of spins. As long as both your brain and your body has the solid understanding of the technique, you can always perform spins of good quality.

SP: You are now leading your own school, and work with many students also abroad. What is your image of a perfect coach?
ST: Peter Grütter, y own coach during my competitive days. To me, he is the ideal coach. There are two things a good coach needs. Passion and energy. If you have them, you can coach all your life.
As a coach, you need to be energetic both physically and mentally. Also the passion also involves curiosity. To be curious and interested in variety of things, willingness to learn, willingness to improve, that, to me, is passion.

SP: I see you showed your passion during the SPUR photosession. How did you enjoy it?
ST: It was awesome. The red of Bottega Veneta was perfect for me. I dare say I found my favourite colour! I also liked Dior Homme. I really liked the way Deniss looked during the session. Even though neither Deniss or I usually dress like this, the stylists selected the items which were perfect for us.

SP: What is your motto when it comes to your everyday fashion?
ST: These days I have to travel so much, this time I am on the road for 6 continuous weeks. Therefore I pack clothes with dark colours. This way it is easier to do the laundry, I can just wash them all together. While on the road, practicality is the priority. When I am on the move, I wear easy fitting trousers and relaxing T-shirt. Comfort comes first!

SP: Do you enjoy shopping? Which shops do you go to?
ST: I don't do a lot of research. If I go to a beautiful place, I want to buy something as a memento of the place - that's my style of shopping, I would say.

SP: Let's do more photo session in the future! How about making it an annual event?
ST: That would be great! But I am getting older, is that ok with you?

fourthdimension

On the Ice
Translation of the SPUR interview with Stephane
Phew that was long - I haven't controlled the text... sorry if there are lots of typos!!! :rolleye:

SPUR: How is it going with the preparation for the next season?
Stephane: We completed a 10-day workshop back in Champery. There we worked on our Chopin duet number for Fantasy On Ice, and the new SP for Deniss. The main choreographer for his SP this time will be Salome, but it will be a joint effort of a few choreographers, including myself.
Following one week holiday after the workshop, we had another 10-day workshop in Latvia. Here we started to work on Deniss's FP. A Japanese contemporary dancer Kenta Kojiri worked with me to create the choreography for the FP, as well as the Chopin duet number. Mr. Kojiri had the challenge of understanding how to transfer the idea of movements done on a solid ground onto ice skating, it was also a challenge for Deniss and myself to bring to life all the complicated movements on the ice. We first started working on the duet program for the show to get the hang of the procedure, then we proceeded on to the creation of the competitive program for Deniss.

SP: We suppose the music for the new programs are still secret? Can you give us at least some hints?
ST: The new SP will be, let's say, "groovy". it will be a fast-paced, rythmic and danceable piece. Deniss is a type of a skater who can dance to a crisp, pulsating rythm while expressing a languid fluidity at the same time. We want to showcase that complexity of dance movements which he is so good at expressing.
For the FP on the other hand, we will add a "touch of Japanesque". Our sessions for choreography to this program went very well in Latvia. We are aware that there have been some major changes in the scoring system, but we are not overly worried about it. This contents will go over very well with the new system.

SP: You also have choreographed for Koshro Shimada, who trains with you in Champery?
ST: Yes, SP to "Adios" of Benjamin Clementine, and FP to Winter in Buenos Aires by Piazzolla. The SP will be contemporary, showcasing his whole new side. Koshro chose this music himself. Itìs a dramatic program, with some drastic changes of mood accompanied with a lyric which he could strongly relate to. He is expressing his emotions very well through each movement, it's a promising, beautiful work. We are still working on the FP, but it will be equally interesting.

SP: We saw that also Mikhail Kolyada worked with you through his posts on Instagram. Did you do a choreography for his SP?
ST: You are right! The program is two dimensioned - it rocks, but also has a romantic side. His energy and speed are two of his great strengths. He is also a bright, charming person. I wanted to showcase these elements to the max. I also worked with him on his step sequence for his FP. His FP is a latin/hispanic piece, which is completely different from the SP. I really enjoyed working with him. He is capable of not only executing the beautiful positions, but also do so with an incredible controll and command. He is a kid with such positivity, a delight to work with. Watching him skate, you are reminded of his wonderful personality and I am all the more impressed with him.

SP: You have also met with Yuzuru Hanyu during Fantasy On Ice.. right?
ST: Yes. His performance at the Olympics blew me away. Not only his physical strength, but also, or especially rather, his mental strength. It is super-human. He is out of this world, oh, I am not worthy!!! I am totally in awe of him. Respect!!!

SP: Let us ask something about yourself. Tell us something about your new program "Read All About It".
ST: Firstly, a lot of thoughts went into the costume for this program. You see the transparent part on my back? That means the window to my soul. The soul that contains both the power and the fragility. The vocal of Emily Sunde gave me an extra speed, which also helped me to express the positive side of my personality. Just as the title "Read all about it" says, I wanted the audience to take a peek on what is inside me through my performance. I am very satisfied with this program.

SP: Even after your competitive career has ended, you continue to amaze us in shows. Especially your spins remain to be the inspiration for many current athletes. What kind of training you continue to do in order to maintain the high level of your technique?
ST: I regularly train, there is always something to learn, a room to improve. It becomes more and more of a challenge, now that I have a responsibility as a coach/teacher, and at the same time I participate in shows. It is difficult to dedicate myself to both, and balance the two tasks. But I try to find the time, even for a short time, to train for myself every day, to work on physical strength, technique, and choreography.
I practise much less spins now, compared to years past. It casts a lot of stress on my muscles, to practise many spins, heavy burden to my body. The importance of spinning technique is the balance between flexibility and the muscular strength to controll the movement. It is possible to train that strength without actually spinning. I have been spinning so much for so many years, the technique has already become a part of me - so by now, the point for the training is not quantity, but a quality.
You see, the blades of the skates are not flat, but they are curved. In order to spin well, you must have the perfect understanding of exactly which point of the blade you need to spin on. If you hit the correct spot and spin on it, you can continue to spin much longer. It is the same logic of the toy top.
You also get a profound understanding of the curve of your skates by practising many steps. and as a result, it helps you to find that correct spot for spinning.
For children who are starting to skate, it is important for them to practise the spinning, in order to understand the overall technique of spinning, which is essential. Once you learn all the essentials of the basic spinning technique, then you can branch into different types of spins. As long as both your brain and your body has the solid understanding of the technique, you can always perform spins of good quality.

SP: You are now leading your own school, and work with many students also abroad. What is your image of a perfect coach?
ST: Peter Grütter, y own coach during my competitive days. To me, he is the ideal coach. There are two things a good coach needs. Passion and energy. If you have them, you can coach all your life.
As a coach, you need to be energetic both physically and mentally. Also the passion also involves curiosity. To be curious and interested in variety of things, willingness to learn, willingness to improve, that, to me, is passion.

SP: I see you showed your passion during the SPUR photosession. How did you enjoy it?
ST: It was awesome. The red of Bottega Veneta was perfect for me. I dare say I found my favourite colour! I also liked Dior Homme. I really liked the way Deniss looked during the session. Even though neither Deniss or I usually dress like this, the stylists selected the items which were perfect for us.

SP: What is your motto when it comes to your everyday fashion?
ST: These days I have to travel so much, this time I am on the road for 6 continuous weeks. Therefore I pack clothes with dark colours. This way it is easier to do the laundry, I can just wash them all together. While on the road, practicality is the priority. When I am on the move, I wear easy fitting trousers and relaxing T-shirt. Comfort comes first!

SP: Do you enjoy shopping? Which shops do you go to?
ST: I don't do a lot of research. If I go to a beautiful place, I want to buy something as a memento of the place - that's my style of shopping, I would say.

SP: Let's do more photo session in the future! How about making it an annual event?
ST: That would be great! But I am getting older, is that ok with you?

Thank you!!!

icetug

Medalist
:thank: for the translation, MGstyle!
May I ask you also for the translation of added comments by Deniss to Stephane Q&A? Feel they had interesting dialogue.

ST: But I am getting older, is that ok with you?
Stephane is so flirtatious :laugh:

By the way, it would be interesting to see such a session in a couple of years. Not only I'm curious how Deniss would look like in other top stylish clothes, but also how (if so) the narration would be changed.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Remember FaOI Shizuoka, where Deniss was one of the skaters operating the t-shirt bazookas? All we had a was a few pics and reports... but not anymore :)

http://redfar.tumblr.com/post/177651741258

Apparently this gifset is from a local broadcast of Day 1 performances, there was also a broadcast of Day 2. If I can find a video, I'll be sure to link it later.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally had a chance to catch up on reading this thread. Wow, Deniss is a busy guy! I love all the stuff about his cooking and baking adventures. I love how he is such a well-rounded individual with so many different interests. Stephane seems to really encourage that in his students. Best of luck to him at NHK and Idf!!! Thx to everyone for all the fun stuff you shared about him.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker

MGstyle

Medalist
It's in the Stephane's part of interview: there are additional remarks by Deniss in the translation of his Q&A into Japanese.

Oh!!! Thanks, I didn't notice that!!! Here are extra tidbit only in Japanese!

Q3: with or without beard
Without - but occasionally with
(he showed us his holiday pic, when he visited his grandma in Portugal this summer, where he sported some beard. - "my long time favourite barber styled it for me" so he said. He looked like Orlando Bloom.)

Q4: V Neck or Crew Neck jumpers?
V neck or Turtle neck.
(He added I love wearing a scarf!)

Q5: Can't leave the home without
Cleaning the kitchen and doing the laundry.
(Deniss looked at what Stephane was writing, and discreetly informed us "that's not true! I always do the cleaning!")