Did Michelle wait too long? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Did Michelle wait too long?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Nothing against Shizuka, but I don't see her as a repeat winner this year. I don't see Michelle at the top either. My money is on Irina, although I would like to see Joannie somewhere on the podium.............42

Callystarr

Rinkside

lmao @ this post, another negative post about Michelle...where are the negative posts about Irina, Shiziku, Sasha??

I mean you think that Shiziku being the defending champion, and skating lackluster all year would be getting the iron right now..oh well...

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm not sure to which post you are referring. This IS a thread about Michelle's readiness or lack thereof for CoP and Worlds.

It's really hard to say anything negative about Sasha that hasn't been hurled at her already in three other active threads on this message board. It's hard to say anything negative about Irina, who is still battling a life-threatening illness, yet appears to be skating better than ever. It's also hard to say a lot of negative stuff about Shizuka, an on-again, off-again skater who, unfortunately, appears to be either tired or somewhat emotionally fragile but somehow managed to fight through that last year and win the World title (pure supposition on my part).

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
RealtorGal, my impression is not so much that Bolero couldn't be CoP ready by Nationals; but rather that MK and RA decided not to use the CoP version for Nationals and stuck with a 6.0 version. Who knows, maybe they were/are in fact still tweaking it for CoP, or maybe she simply wants to debut the CoP version at the CoP judged competition. This way it will be totally fresh, and nobody (the media, fans, non-fans, judges, or skating bureaucrats) will pre-judge it. Just my 2 cents.

OT to mzheng: Thank you for your kind words regarding my prior post in this thread.

Lucy25

Final Flight
It's funny, but I feel that Michelle will not have let me down, personally, if she doesn't win Worlds this year. Heck, I am not even expecting her to win. I have a feeling she is going to go all out at Worlds and do the best she can to rank as high as she can at this point in her training. I just have an inkling that she has been training so much more than what she has put out for us to see so far. It may backfire in so much that this Worlds will be the first competition for her under COP, but I am expecting her to skate her heart out and be really prepared. I am certainly predicting a podium finish for her - probably second, with Irina winning gold. I think she would be very happy with this. As for who will be off the podium, my inkling shays Sasha, but it could be Shizuka, who from all I have read does not really have her heart in it this year.

All I know is that I am going to be a nervous wreck in March! I am leaving for Italy the week after Worlds, and I wish so much I was leaving the week of Worlds so I wouldn't be near a computer to find the results at all! :laugh:

flowjo35

On the Ice
LegalGirl82

I also thank you for your post. In several articles pre-nationals Michelle and RA have stated the the version of her programs we see at nationals would not be completely the same programs that we will see at worlds. I take them at their word. They seem to have a plan and are sticking with it. I think people who are underestimating them might be in for a big surprise no matter if she wins world or not. I can only say Go Michelle :)

Kuchana

On the Ice
Lucy, I feel the same way:) My feeling is that she's been training hard and it shows so I'm excited to see what she's going to show us at Worlds. I don't think she's shown us her whole aresenal, which is a good thing I suppose.

You're going to Italy?? I envy you. I had a chance to go there twice and wasn't able to.

flowjo35

On the Ice
Lucy

You stated how I hope and feel Michelle will do at worlds. Just skate all out and with passion. I don't think winning this year is essential, but getting the feel of how good COP can be for her will be great. I look for good things from Michelle and RA.

R.D.

Record Breaker
MK has no pressure on her. She has five of these things already. She can just kick back and give it her all, and the Cop will put her where she belongs among the other competitors. I bet that'll make her happy.

It's Irina that'll be feeling it...it's in her home town, and she's the heavy favorite having not been defeated yet all season.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Kuchana - Yes, I am going for ten days over Easter with six other family members. I am really excited to go. This will be my first time there.

I am glad to read that I am not the only one who thinks MK might just have some surprises up her sleeve (well, her figurative sleeve :laugh: )!

apache88

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
MK has no pressure on her. She has five of these things already. She can just kick back and give it her all, and the Cop will put her where she belongs among the other competitors. I bet that'll make her happy.

It's Irina that'll be feeling it...it's in her home town, and she's the heavy favorite having not been defeated yet all season.

I have a feeling Michelle does feel lots of pressure. It's the pressure of proving to the naysayers that she can excel under the COP. The good news is this kind of pressure is different from the pressure of being the favourite to win the Olys or the pressure of being a shoo-in to tie Vinson Owen's 9 titles which did prevent her from delivering her usual clean, electrifying LP at the Nationals. The pressure of being the underdog has always worked well for her.

As for Irina, I'm afraid there are 2 factors, one or both of which might surface. First her physical condition and second her infamous nerves that would usually kick in when she is expected to win the Worlds (think 2000 and 2001).

I also think that MK had pressure at the Nats to make that tieing record and she is not through with that until she sets a NEW record in 2006.

Thereore what I saw at Nats is basically what I will see at Worlds. I also think that pressure for MK brings out determination too. She has to be curious about her scores for CoP and will add a 3tx3t. This will be the major tweeking of the routine for Worlds. There will be much analyzing afterwards as to whether that is enough or should she throw in the 3zx3r for Turino if she still has plans to go.

She's ok with Irina and I don't think she would be upset if Irina takes the gold.

Joe

curious

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
I think that Shizuka will be left off the World's podium.

My guess is that it will be Irina, Sasha and Michelle but I do not know the order. If pushed, I'd have to put my $$ on Irina.

I thought Michelle's spins were much slower than last year, when she made terrific improvement to them. Her spiral was nowhere near its usual level of excellence. Considering that she has competed in what, one competition before nationals? I don't see why so much still needs to be added to this Bolero program. Why couldn't this program be CoP ready by nationals? Were they pressed for time for some unknown reason? Too busy with other commitments? Photo shoots? Interviews? Travelling? Spending time with family? What???

Many people are calling this program empty. Well, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it is nowhere near as impressive as other programs, such as last year's SP and LP.

shizuka off the world's podium in moscow with mami tarasova as her coach I don't think so. Sasha maybe or michel if she doesn't up the ante.

R.D.

Record Breaker
curious said:
shizuka off the world's podium in moscow with mami tarasova as her coach I don't think so. Sasha maybe or michel if she doesn't up the ante.

Cohen was 4th at 2003 worlds w/Tarasova as her coach, so that's a moot point...

I agree with Joe and Apache that Michelle did feel a lot of pressure to win her record-setting ninth U.S. championship. Here is a clip of her interview (it opens in real player or quicktime) after her free skate. She is giddy with relief, and says she can't find any words to express her emotions.

I was surprised about that. Michelle's legacy is equally firm whether she ends up with 8, or 9, or 10, or 11 or 12 of these. You can't really compare Michelle's streak from th mid nineties to now with Vinson Owens accomplishments in the 1930s. We don't know much about the comparative level of U.S. competition (at least I don't) in these two eras, while on the international scene Vinson owens skated in the period dominated by Sonya Henie.

Plus, many U.S. champions (Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming, Kristi Yamaguchi) could have won more titles if economic conditions had encouraged them to stay eligible longer. Plus the sport itself changed (figures versus free skating).

Still, Michelle wanted that record! I guess that attitude is why some people are champions, while the rest of us must content ourselves with analyzing their achievements.

Mathman :)

Last edited:

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Mathman, ITA with your assessment that Michelle's legacy is equally firm no matter how many U.S. Nationals titles she wins. However, this is one record that I have quietly hoped she would achieve for many years now. I guess the whole Maribel-Frank-Michelle continuity appeals to me. It makes me happy knowing that it means so much to her as well. Then again, I'm one of those people who would be happy watching her skate even if no jumps were involved, just as I could listen to Sean Connery read the phone book! Don't mind me, it's been a long week here in legal land and darn it if it's only Thursday!

flowjo35: Thank you.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
curious said:

I think as long as Irina is on the podium, no one in Moscow will care whether or not Shizuka lands on the podium. She will receive no gift medals. If she lands on the podium, she will have earned it. At this point, I don't see it happening, but as always, in skating, one never knows. :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
LegalGirl82 said:
Mathman, ITA with your assessment that Michelle's legacy is equally firm no matter how many U.S. Nationals titles she wins. However, this is one record that I have quietly hoped she would achieve for many years now. I guess the whole Maribel-Frank-Michelle continuity appeals to me. It makes me happy knowing that it means so much to her as well. Then again, I'm one of those people who would be happy watching her skate even if no jumps were involved, just as I could listen to Sean Connery read the phone book! Don't mind me, it's been a long week here in legal land and darn it if it's only Thursday!

I only knew Fran-Michelle, never knew Maribel-Frank until near this National from the media. Now I quite understand while this means so much to her. Somehow more or less we all grown up carry some of our family(parents or grandparents) expectation and late on this expection some how become your own expection. I was desperately pray to the skate god to let MK got this one even in exchange of her Worlds one. :laugh: I'm so happy she got the one.

ladybug

On the Ice
I was so happy Michelle got her gold at Nationals since it seemed to be so important to her. What bothered me the most was that she was so nervous. It was written all over her face and she didn't let go like she has at so many other National competitions. Could this be a preview of what is going to happen at the Olympics? Gosh I hope not. Win or lose, I just want to see her put out a beautiful, clean program with no holding back. A skate where she can say, "Maybe I didn't get as many points as some of the other skaters but WOW I was really good." :love:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
ladybug said:
I was so happy Michelle got her gold at Nationals since it seemed to be so important to her. What bothered me the most was that she was so nervous. It was written all over her face and she didn't let go like she has at so many other National competitions. Could this be a preview of what is going to happen at the Olympics? Gosh I hope not. Win or lose, I just want to see her put out a beautiful, clean program with no holding back. A skate where she can say, "Maybe I didn't get as many points as some of the other skaters but WOW I was really good." :love:

I agree. I think nerves played a huge factor. But I also hate ABC's change to make the top 3 from SP draw for the final 3 spots in the LP flight. MK has practically made it a tradition (through no fault of her own) to go on first after the warm-up. I can't remember the last time she was last in a flight. Staying warm and focused for 45 minutes after the warm-up isn't easy. And her lack of experience in dealing with that may have also been a factor. She had plenty of time to get increasingly more nervous. She could hear the crowd and hear the scores. Michelle - invest in a Walkman and listen to some CDs!