Did Michelle wait too long? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Did Michelle wait too long?

brad640

On the Ice
ladybug said:
What bothered me the most was that she was so nervous. It was written all over her face and she didn't let go like she has at so many other National competitions. Could this be a preview of what is going to happen at the Olympics?

It's not just a preview - it has already happened to her at 2 Olympics. Michelle is so focused on her place in the history of skating that when she gets to the huge milestone events she tightens up. I think some of this has to do with the motivation techniques Frank started using with her early on. He knew that she was a great talent and he talked to her about great champions of the past as people to look up to for their long-term contributions to the sport. Michelle alluded to this in nationals interviews when she talked about her "cosmic connection" with Maribel Vinson. Also, in interviews before she won her fourth world title, she made comments like "4 would put me in Kurt Browning territory!" In 1998 she said she hoped Lyra Angelica would have the same impact as Janet Lynn's Afternoon of a Faun.

There aren't many other skaters that are so aware of the historic relevance of their skating, and sometimes it seems like a burden to Michelle. Maybe she needs to dump some of the baggage and just skate.

mzheng said:
I was desperately pray to the skate god to let MK got this one even in exchange of her Worlds one. :laugh:
:laugh: No, no. We will sacrifice Worlds to the skate gods in exchange for the Olymoics next year!

Here's what I hope happens. Irina has a so-so skate at Moscow, but the judges hold her up and give her the championship anyway. Then they feel ashamed of themselves, so they give Michelle the medal at Torino to make ammends. ;)

Mathman:)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
brad640 said:
It's not just a preview - it has already happened to her at 2 Olympics. Michelle is so focused on her place in the history of skating that when she gets to the huge milestone events she tightens up. ... There aren't many other skaters that are so aware of the historic relevance of their skating, and sometimes it seems like a burden to Michelle. Maybe she needs to dump some of the baggage and just skate.

In a weird way, this shows a nice sort of humility on MIchelle's part. It's not "I'm already a legend"; instead, she still thinks that she has more to do to secure her spot -- IMHO

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:
:laugh: No, no. We will sacrifice Worlds to the skate gods in exchange for the Olymoics next year!

Here's what I hope happens. Irina has a so-so skate at Moscow, but the judges hold her up and give her the championship anyway. Then they feel ashamed of themselves, so they give Michelle the medal at Torino to make ammends. ;)

DREAM ON Mathman! The skate gods will not be giving 6.0's like free candy at the Olympics, unlike the Nationals. I don't think they will be giving away gold medals at the Olympic because they feel ashamed and I don't think anyone will be held up with a so-so skate. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You guys are so full of it when it comes to Michelle. You guys are going to get a reality check when Joannie Rochette wins the gold. Michelle will get the gold one of these days: she will be skating across with her cane in hand saying "I finally won the G----O----L----D". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
mzheng said:
I only knew Fran-Michelle, never knew Maribel-Frank until near this National from the media. Now I quite understand while this means so much to her. Somehow more or less we all grown up carry some of our family(parents or grandparents) expectation and late on this expection some how become your own expection. I was desperately pray to the skate god to let MK got this one even in exchange of her Worlds one. :laugh: I'm so happy she got the one.
I was really hoping she would get this one also. Whatever happens at the Olympics (or Worlds) she earned a spot in the record books regardless. Many women have won the OGM. But only two women can say they won 9 U.S. National titles -- Maribel Vincent Owen and Michelle Kwan.

apache88

On the Ice
millie said:
DREAM ON Mathman! The skate gods will not be giving 6.0's like free candy at the Olympics, unlike the Nationals. I don't think they will be giving away gold medals at the Olympic because they feel ashamed and I don't think anyone will be held up with a so-so skate. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You guys are so full of it when it comes to Michelle. You guys are going to get a reality check when Joannie Rochette wins the gold. Michelle will get the gold one of these days: she will be skating across with her cane in hand saying "I finally won the G----O----L----D". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We are not full of it when it comes to Michelle, at least on this forum, just proud of her achievements. Anyhow, if a skater has had one hell of a decorated skating career and his/her fans are so full of if, they have the bragging rights. ;)

There is no need for reality check because many of her fans already do not expect her to win the Worlds or Olys. At this point in her career, the Oly gold is just a medal that Michelle covets the most for her personal achievements, it's no longer needed to secure her legendary status. Oops, think I'm so full of it now. By the way, who's Joannie Richette? If she wins the gold, good for her.

millie

Medalist
Joannie Rochette,sorry not Richette--Typing error!! is the brillant skater that won the ladies Canadian National Chamoionship. :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
I was really hoping she would get this one also. Whatever happens at the Olympics (or Worlds) she earned a spot in the record books regardless. Many women have won the OGM. But only two women can say they won 9 U.S. National titles -- Maribel Vincent Owen and Michelle Kwan.
Yes. That's exactly my point.

ladybug, same here. Saw her backstage and step on the ice I was like 'Oh, no SLC again?'. But I was not as nervouse as SLC during her performance, I knew she'll deliver but not as **spectecula** as last couple of Nationals, which I had expected before the LP.

It was said she was pretty tense during the days approach to Nationals, Rafeal was much relax and confidance than she was.

Seeing her tensed up at National, I really don't know if my heart can hold up if she chose to go turino.

I forgot to mention in my previouse post. That now knowing the chain of Maribel-Frank-Michelle and Maribel died at 1961's airplane crash, I now truelly understand why she chosen to skate FOG at 2001-2002 season. It truelly meant to ba a tribute to those died young in 911 and the 1961 airplane crash. To think about back then this fan did have some question why FOG? :p

mzheng

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
It's not just a preview - it has already happened to her at 2 Olympics. Michelle is so focused on her place in the history of skating that when she gets to the huge milestone events she tightens up. I think some of this has to do with the motivation techniques Frank started using with her early on. He knew that she was a great talent and he talked to her about great champions of the past as people to look up to for their long-term contributions to the sport. Michelle alluded to this in nationals interviews when she talked about her "cosmic connection" with Maribel Vinson. Also, in interviews before she won her fourth world title, she made comments like "4 would put me in Kurt Browning territory!" In 1998 she said she hoped Lyra Angelica would have the same impact as Janet Lynn's Afternoon of a Faun.

There aren't many other skaters that are so aware of the historic relevance of their skating, and sometimes it seems like a burden to Michelle. Maybe she needs to dump some of the baggage and just skate.

But in a long run, IMO, this is what kept her going for all those years. As a fan I really appreciate this. Frank taught her well, infuenced her well at her young age.

millie said:
Well, I said that's what I hope will happen. If you want to know what I really think the podium will look like at Moscow, it will be Ando, Rochette, Poykio.

Remember, you read it here first! :biggrin:

flowjo35

On the Ice
For the people who stated Michelle looked nervous the night of the long program are right. But I think she can use this experience for Turino if she decides to compete there. I think she did a good job with knowing how much she wanted this one. It could have been like 2002 O's, but she went out this nationals and got the job done. I am very happy for her. I do know she wants to do well at worlds and I hope she is anywhere on the podium. Go Michelle :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
MK was nervous that night, but it didn't prevent her from winning. Sure, the lack of competition helps (which CERTAINLY won't be the case at the Olympics) but I think she knows what she needs to do. It was a bittersweet moment for her in that she reached her destination with an undesirable journey (she won, but not with the skate she wanted). It seems that when kwan is hyped, that's when she doesn't do as well. If America REALLY wants Kwan to win the olys they better leave her alone this time :laugh: but we all know that won't happen...hey, third time the charm anyone?

This may be another reason she won't commit to the olympics publically...to relieve herself of a lot of the pre-oly media pressure. Instead of hyping the olympics, the big question is "WILL she go to the olympics" :laugh: I really think she's gonna be there though. If you are Kwan, why quit now?

Michelle can hardly come out and say, I am going to the Olympics. She has to qualify for the American team like everyone else. I would say she has a good chance of making the team, but it would be sort of a dis to the other girls if she came right out and said it now.

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Michelle can hardly come out and say, I am going to the Olympics. She has to qualify for the American team like everyone else. I would say she has a good chance of making the team, but it would be sort of a dis to the other girls if she came right out and said it now.

MM
I know, but she CAN say that she will TRY for the olympics. Kind of like she did for 2002.

Red Dog said:
I know, but she CAN say that she will TRY for the olympics. Kind of like she did for 2002.
Michelle is much to mysterious to say anything. there are more important questions one would wonder about her but she ain't talking. she doesn't even have a diary we can tear apart.
"Skating the Olympics, Ms Kwan?" "I just take one day at a time"'

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Did she said that exactly word last year? When she talked about ppl in grocery store recognized her and told her "You should go you should go" she said "Well, I don't know. I can only say I'll try for next Olympics".

Eeyora

Final Flight
I personally agree that the few timkes Michelle has skated to win. The results aren't as good. 1997 Nats, 1998 Oly's, 2002 Olys. She has not skated as good and her soul is missing.

I truly hope to see a new revamped Bolero at Wor5lds. I expect her too. But we can't expect everything out of her.

ladybug

On the Ice
If you look back at your tapes of SLC Olympics, you will see that Michelle took the ice and quickly took her pose. There was no skating around the rink to warm up and refocus and get into the zone as she always does.

Somehow Michelle needs to go into the Olympics and next years Nationals and not care if she wins. Easier said than done. I would like to see me try that. But, that is what she has to do. When it is something she really wants, she tends to tense up. I bet next years Nationals will be the same.

Ladybug

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
There doesn't always seem to be a perfect equation (how's that Mathman)? She has won as the favorite and as the underdog. She has lost as the favorite and the underdog. I remember when Nancy Kerrigan failed to win Worlds in 1993, all she had to do was stand up but she crumbled under the pressure. I remember Peggy said that all she wanted to do was to be left alone so that she could skate but the pressure and commitments were too much........42

kareliz

Rinkside
I am just hoping she comes out with strength and confidence. I am remembering, again, 2000 or 2001 (can't remember - maybe both, actually) where she referred to her season as "roller coaster" saying she was working "hard but not smart", and that she "wasn't organized." Yet at worlds she was remarkably calm, confident and really skated so well.

So that is my hope. Even wiith that kind of confident, beautiful and no mistakes skate, she may not take gold. I hope she does, but I am not sure with her LP and CoP.

The main thing is how she continues to engage us on such a heart level. While other skaters may jump higher, spin faster, and catch their foot over their head, I don't think any of the ladies is as sensitive, musical, expressive and connected to an audience as Michelle. I think that's what keeps us watching her with such emotional enagement. I wonder if CoP really rewards that. I am thinking not. Dang.