Does anyone like the butt spin?

rikaquegira

On the Ice
It does look difficult though. :think:

But for me is a no-no.

There are other less awkward positions. :agree2:

iorii

On the Ice
I don't think much of it. While I think it's a bit awkward, Shoma does it pretty nicely. I don't like Y-spin and I-spin more, it just looks very straining on the skater. Only Yulia makes any spin look so easy.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well, it's a good thing that the skaters' goal is not to be ladylike...

I dislike all these criticizing remarks that are fixated on "it's not lady like" - "this thing is not lady like" etc.

This kind of backward stereotyping surely holds back ladies from pursuing new ways of expressions and trying things as they would like to, including spins positions and transitions (I've seen posters dissing ladies for doing cantilever "it's not girly" SMH). You don't have to be an ice princess through and through! Stop being such a dinosaur.

I am annoyed by that constant forcing of skaters into their desired mould.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t care if a Bielmann is ladylike.

It’s ugly. Ugly. UGLY. and it doesn’t matter who is doing it. I’ve seen Denise Bielmann do Bielmanns. Ugly.:disapp:

Butt spins. Ugly. UGLY. and I don’t care whose butt it is. :disapp:

That is all.:biggrin:

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Yes. Unironically. I love it. For some reason it seems like a more impressive balancing/centering feat than some of the other positions, and I have never understood why people think it's aesthetically unpleasing.

I think it's a more beautiful position than I-spins or fan spirals where it seems like the skater is displaying their crotch.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I'm not a huge fan of gumby, contortionist spins & spirals. Do they demonstrate a skating skill?? Or is it more a mix of gymnastics & skating. Just give me a solid sit spin or a headless scratch spin that doesn't travel. Or a layback with unique arm movements and perfectly held free leg.

Sk8rBoii

On the Ice
Well, I do like butt-spins more than I-spin or Y-spin, no matter who does them (Even Lipnitskaia's I-spin, though displaying impressive flexibility). Imo the position looks too forced, not natural and not smooth at all, unlike a well-executed A-spin (I'm assuming this is what is here referred to as butt-spin?).

I appreciate a good butt.
Spin.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I dislike all these criticizing remarks that are fixated on "it's not lady like" - "this thing is not lady like" etc.

This kind of backward stereotyping surely hold back ladies from pursuing new ways of expressions and trying things as they would like including spins positions and transitions (I've seen posters dissing ladies for doing cantilever "it's not girly" SMH). You don't have to be an ice princess through and through! Stop being such a dinosaur.

I am annoyed by that constant forcing of skaters into their desired mould.

Exactly! Love the dinosaurs name :biggrin:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I don’t care if a Bielmann is ladylike.

It’s ugly. Ugly. UGLY. and it doesn’t matter who is doing it. I’ve seen Denise Bielmann do Bielmanns. Ugly.:disapp:

Butt spins. Ugly. UGLY. and I don’t care whose butt it is. :disapp:

That is all.:biggrin:

:laugh2::rofl: Although I quite like Biellmann spin, I like your wit more at the moment. :laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, I do like butt-spins more than I-spin or Y-spin, no matter who does them (Even Lipnitskaia's I-spin, though displaying impressive flexibility). Imo the position looks too forced, not natural and not smooth at all, unlike a well-executed A-spin (I'm assuming this is what is here referred to as butt-spin?).

I appreciate a good butt.
Spin.

I swear, I was about to say the same thing......It depends on who does it!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I swear, I was about to say the same thing......It depends on who does it!

Think the butt spin looks better for men. It can work well in comical programmes (didn't Nobunari Oda do it in his Chaplin routine?). Don't really like it for ladies, but again, matter of taste. If it's done well to suitable music, it does add variety to spin positions.