Does anyone like the butt spin? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Does anyone like the butt spin?

Think the butt spin looks better for men. It can work well in comical programmes (didn't Nobunari Oda do it in his Chaplin routine?). Don't really like it for ladies, but again, matter of taste. If it's done well to suitable music, it does add variety to spin positions.

Oda:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f5jP02gxLmo/TM4aX7Rvg8I/AAAAAAAAAJk/onA0h6bUJJ8/s200/nobunari+oda.jpg

I agree about men versus ladies. It looks OK when you get a distinct and sharp "A." To achieve this, you need narrow hips and a relatively bony derriere. This lets out 99.9% of all figure skaters -- who, after all, need to build up a substantial muscle mass back there.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I'm not the biggest fan of the A frame/butt spin, but it doesn't bother me too much

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was about Phillipe Candeloro's literal butt spins on the ice! :laugh:

I remember that! My skater did that today but it wasn't on purpose (fell out of a camel position and spun out in a butt spin). Did it count as part of the actual spin when Candeloro did it? (he was doing it totally on purpose - it was not a fall/error) Like, if you do a backspin breakdance style (actually spinning on your back on the ice) does that count or is there some inherent rule that your blade has to be in contact with the ice. Not that I'm advocating for that, but really curious how they judged Candeloro's butt spin.

Girlbird

On the Ice

Gubanova can do no wrong with spins I think.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not the biggest fan of the A frame/butt spin, but it doesn't bother me too much

I remember that! My skater did that today but it wasn't on purpose (fell out of a camel position and spun out in a butt spin). Did it count as part of the actual spin when Candeloro did it? (he was doing it totally on purpose - it was not a fall/error) Like, if you do a backspin breakdance style (actually spinning on your back on the ice) does that count or is there some inherent rule that your blade has to be in contact with the ice. Not that I'm advocating for that, but really curious how they judged Candeloro's butt spin.

Yes, when I with my old-lady 26 year old knees try to do a sit spin I just sit down on the ice! =D

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
Yes, I'm referring to the A spin (didn't know what it was actually called)

I don't think it looks bad when the torso is more horizontal to the ice like when Alina and Shoma do it - but then I question if it's even the same spin since it would change the balance of the spin and it's not really an A anymore. I appreciate that the butt position looks more difficult and agree that in a more comical type performance it's fine but I think it's jarring in a more serious program.

Actually, I had no idea how many skaters did this position until I started this thread - perhaps the problem is that I'm overly distracted by certain skaters' butts :biggrin:

My only gripe with the Biellman is that so few do it well. I actually find it distracting when I'm watching a mesmerizing program like Semei then he comes to a near standstill on the Biellman. To me, it breaks the spell as much as a mistake on a jump.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Exactly! Love the dinosaurs name :biggrin:

Hopefully, no one is making fun of me here, but hey I'm not offended! I may be a "dinosaur" but that's okay! My dinosaurs name is a combo of my initials and skater, because I'm a lady who used to skate. Come to think of it the women's discipline is still called "Ladies". Oh well, guess I shouldn't have expressed my opinion. I'd forgotten how mean people can be here.

BethOnIce

Rinkside
Personally, I don't like the I-Spin, the women do. - it's just not lady like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woBz0PY4w-8

Agreed! The only I-spin that ever looked remotely okay was Sasha Cohen... but since she also popularized it, I’m not sure I can forgive her.

Also, is there anyone else who doesn’t like illusion spins? I feel the same about them as I do with the I-spin, that 99% of them look terrible. There are so few skaters that actually make it look like an illusion. Usually it just looks wonky and travels too far across the ice.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Agreed! The only I-spin that ever looked remotely okay was Sasha Cohen... but since she also popularized it, I’m not sure I can forgive her.

Also, is there anyone else who doesn’t like illusion spins? I feel the same about them as I do with the I-spin, that 99% of them look terrible. There are so few skaters that actually make it look like an illusion. Usually it just looks wonky and travels too far across the ice.

Thanks, yes, the Illusion spin used to be a cool spin, done properly. I haven't seen a good one in years. Some of the earlier skaters did them. What I hate now is the way skaters rush through elements.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Hopefully, no one is making fun of me here, but hey I'm not offended! I may be a "dinosaur" but that's okay! My dinosaurs name is a combo of my initials and skater, because I'm a lady who used to skate. Come to think of it the women's discipline is still called "Ladies". Oh well, guess I shouldn't have expressed my opinion. I'd forgotten how mean people can be here.

I wasn't talking about you :)
I was replying to someone else who mentioned dinosaurs.
I rather like your name as it is...

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I wasn't talking about you :)
I was replying to someone else who mentioned dinosaurs.
I rather like your name as it is...

Oh, thanks, I guess I'm a cranky old lady!! I've been ill for over a year and sometimes my mind runs away with me. I'll make sure I read the posts better, before I answer!!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Oh, thanks, I guess I'm a cranky old lady!! I've been ill for over a year and sometimes my mind runs away with me. I'll make sure I read the posts better, before I answer!!

Aw, hope you're feeling better :)
My wording was wonky, totally my bad :)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

I don't remember really how the judges judged such a spin! Actually, I vaguely recall some commentator saying that it wasn't really skating, not even really spinning on his skates - so maybe the judges didn't like it either in a competition format? This is reaching pretty far back for me in my youth - I'd have to watch some of Phillipe's vids of the age to see what the commentators say about it! I seem to recall that Candeloro took his 'butt' spin out at some point!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Richard Dornbush did them too. Here's an example: https://youtu.be/jDymiKltMyQ?t=137

merleice

Rinkside
It’s not my favourite spin position but I don’t mind it and there are some I like. I really like Yuzuru’s A spin especially the one he did in his 2018 Olympics SP with his free hand resting on his back and his other hand grabbing the toe of his boot. I liked Oda’s performance of the A spin too.

Mort

Spectator
The butt spin- I like when Lambiel and Buttle were doing that. In their version they were fast and elegant to watch. I don't like this spin in ladies, for me this position doesn't siut for them.
Hate these strange and ugly positions that Weir was trying to figure out. Too contrived and not nice to watch even he was very flexible.
Like the I spin but not so gymnastic position like Yulia presents, with her head bent. Probably it's only for me- but it's ugly :disapp: