Draw by country for Olympic panels of judges held | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Draw by country for Olympic panels of judges held

Andrea82

Medalist
Additional judges draw done to replace judges who withdrew. The additional draw is done "out of a pool of ISU Members, already drawn and having named Judges in any of the other disciplines for the Olympic Winter Games and willing to serve in the discipline in question as their second event"

Japan Ice Dance judge was missing from the list posted yesterday. No change in the individual event (just less turnover of judges between RD and Free Dance). Russia will get their judging spot in the Team Event ID panel

Czech Republic send only 2 judges (for Men and Women) and withdrew from Pair panel (even if it is allowed for one judge to serve in 2 panels at OG). Belarus get their place there. USA gets their place in the Team Event Pair panel. As the Czech "pair judge" was also set to judge Women in Team Event, Canada will replace them there

My guess is the panels are going to be:

Dance:
Ref: Saarelainen Mika (Finland)
TC: Gordon Poltorak Halina (Poland)
TS, ATS: Elek Gyorgy (Hungary)
Higashino Ayako (Japan)

Women:
Ref?
TC: Billow Emilie (Sweden)
TS, ATS: Jakupcevic Marinkovic Ivana (Croatia)
Cruickshank Kelly (Canada)

Pairs:
Ref?
TC: Noyes Deborah (Australia)
TS, ATS: Goldstein Troy (USA)
Tewanian Sarkis (Poland)

Men:
Ref?
TC: Huang Feng (China)
TS, ATS: Galambos Sandor (Swtizerland)
Vandecaveye Vera (Belgium)

Dance panel is the same of Worlds 2021 and Sochi 2014

Billow-Jakupcvevic-Kelly were the panel at 2021 Internatiounaux de France
Billow-Vandecavye-Galambos were the panel for Women at 2021 Worlds. With Bianchetti as referee.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Acknowledging that this type of post and analysis is totally (and sadly) a legitimate topic of discussion.

But it is so dismaying that fans assume national (or other) bias in judging.

That assumption is not without foundation, but it's still sad.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, I am confused but what else is new?
"Now each ISU member drawn will nominate the judges. The judges must have ISU qualification and having already served in at least 2 ISU Championships//Qualifying Competition for the Olympic Games.

On site, 45 minutes before the Short Programs/Rhythm Dance, 9 judges will be drawn. The other 4 will serve in the FS along 5 judges drawn from the SP/RD's 9."

So, lets assume the country of CoyoteLand has a qualified skater and judges and wins the first draw for ladies.
"Now each ISU member drawn will nominate the Judges"
So CoyoteLand has 10 judges and they , being the CoyoteLand Skating Fed, Nominate CoyoteChris for their judge. (Forget the fact that Chris is married to the head of the Coyoteland Skating Fed and their daughter is the qualified skater)
I see 13 qual nations for Women....so 9 of those hand picks will be chosen 45 min before the short program?

Andrea82

Medalist
OK, I am confused but what else is new?
"Now each ISU member drawn will nominate the judges. The judges must have ISU qualification and having already served in at least 2 ISU Championships//Qualifying Competition for the Olympic Games.

On site, 45 minutes before the Short Programs/Rhythm Dance, 9 judges will be drawn. The other 4 will serve in the FS along 5 judges drawn from the SP/RD's 9."

So, lets assume the country of CoyoteLand has a qualified skater and judges and wins the first draw for ladies.
"Now each ISU member drawn will nominate the Judges"
So CoyoteLand has 10 judges and they , being the CoyoteLand Skating Fed, Nominate CoyoteChris for their judge. (Forget the fact that Chris is married to the head of the Coyoteland Skating Fed and their daughter is the qualified skater)
I see 13 qual nations for Women....so 9 of those hand picks will be chosen 45 min before the short program?
Yes, 45 minutes before SP, they will hold a draw between the 13 for the 9 Short Program judges.
The 4 not drawn will judge the Free Skating. Then 45 minutes before FS, they hold another draw to select 5 from the "SP 9".

Except that if Chris's daughter is an entered skater, there is a conflict of interest and Coyoteland Skating Fed won't be allowed to nominate Chris for the Women panel.
If Coyoteland Skating Fed was drawn also for Men panel, Christ could have been nominated there.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, 45 minutes before SP, they will hold a draw between the 13 for the 9 Short Program judges.
The 4 not drawn will judge the Free Skating. Then 45 minutes before FS, they hold another draw to select 5 from the "SP 9".

Except that if Chris's daughter is an entered skater, there is a conflict of interest and Coyoteland Skating Fed won't be allowed to nominate Chris for the Women panel.
If Coyoteland Skating Fed was drawn also for Men panel, Christ could have been nominated there.
Excellent answer...so the fact that Chris (or as you say Christ but I dont like that getting out ;) ) is married to the head of the Fed is not an issue or conflict of interest...but having a blood relative be the skater is....Thanks!

Andrea82

Medalist
Excellent answer...so the fact that Chris (or as you say Christ but I dont like that getting out ;) ) is married to the head of the Fed is not an issue or conflict of interest...but having a blood relative be the skater is....Thanks!
Ops!

In the past, there have been occasions when the heads of the Fed have nominated...the Heads of the Fed.
This year, the choice of Ukrainian Fed is the General Secretary of the Fed.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
BTW, Andrea82, thanks for the detailed explaination...it fills in some blanks for me left in Oly Judge Jon Jackson's book about what was going on behind the scenes post Salt Lake and what he and Paul Wylie, Dick Button, John Nicks, Scott Hamilton, Kathy Casey, et al, were trying to accomplish.

Olympic

On the Ice
Men - US / Russia out. As has been stated, I don't think it's a big deal as it relates to the US men, and RUS doesn't seem to be politicking hard in this discipline (but is in the other 3)

Women - JPN out but RUS, BEL, KOR, USA, CAN in. I don't know what to make of that as it relates to JPN women

Pairs / Ice Dance - All the top nations appear to be represented. Someone stated that this is particularly interesting in Ice Dance, just because IMO political machinations in that discipline are more rife than the others.

Andrea82

Medalist
Based on the list of officials nominated for the Olympics, the average year of birth of

Judges (49 in total): 1966.8 (youngest was born in 1985, oldest in 1952)

Technical panel (12): 1968.4

Referees (4): 1963.5

Gender split is

Judges: 39 Women, 10 Men
Technical panel: 6 Men, 6 Women
Referees: 3 Men, 1 Woman

Andrea82

Medalist
Officials

Judges

De Rappard Francoise (Belgium)

This one WD. She should have judged Women in individual and Team Event.

However, the original draws are now hard to be put in practice with isolations and everything with last minutes changes needed.
Men SP panel in Team Event didn't have Latvia and France as expected. Azerbajan and Canada took their place.
Pair and ID were as expected.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i have to say that I liked the tech panel in women team event.... no non-sense.

I didn't like the tech panel in ice dance....